Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'79 Ski Nautique "missing"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '79 Ski Nautique "missing"
    Posted: May-17-2020 at 5:43pm
Our '79 Nautique (original owners!) has "miss". It's a 351, Holley carb, new plugs and wires. It did this many years ago when the distributor was messed up. Tied to the dock or on the trailer it isn't as noticeable as under a load- it will sputter and spit pulling up a skier. Looking for some tips from experts... where do we start, and have you heard of converting to an electric ignition to avoid distributor "issues"? Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 6:34pm
Katie,
You mentioned plus and wires. Anything inside the distributor like the point set and condenser?

Yes, many have converted their distributor to electronic or even better converted to a complete EI type distributor.

Is there a mechanic working on it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 6:42pm
We haven't messed with the points, etc. I'd love to covert it, actually!

I don't have a marine mechanic... our local Nautique dealer now only sells MasterCraft, and will only service MC, too. I've got a good auto mechanic that will convert everything for me, but says I have to do the research, find the kits, etc. I'm looking for expertise... and where in the world do I start? ;-)    (I'm still actively trying to find a marine mechanic in or within 3 hours of Baton Rouge, LA... There's a Nautique dealer around Destin, FL, would rather not trailer that far... but could.)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 6:47pm
Katie,
A auto mechanic should be able to get ether a EI conversion module for your distributor or a EI distributor. Search out "DUI" and look for the marine version. There are several threads here on DUI conversions.

I know our site expert Ken will be along and probably get some link for you.

Has the carb ever been worked on?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by katie katie wrote:

I'm still actively trying to find a marine mechanic in or within 3 hours of Baton Rouge, LA...

Send an email to Billy He's in Monterey La.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 6:56pm
Also any marine mechanic that has experience with I/O units should be able to work on it. Does not need to be a Correct Craft guy.
If you choose an auto mechanic just make sure he knows how to run the motor on the trailer. If not getting proper water supply then you will get into other issue.
YES to KENO. He will steer you in the proper direction. As said, could likely be a carb issue.
A full tune up is in order
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 9:10pm
Katie,
I talked to Billy awhile ago and he'll be looking out for your email. He's also going to try to get in touch with you. Looks like he's about a hours drive from you.

Who put the plus and wires on it? Your mechanic? Who's suggesting the EI?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Katie,
A auto mechanic should be able to get ether a EI conversion module for your distributor or a EI distributor. Search out "DUI" and look for the marine version. There are several threads here on DUI conversions.

I know our site expert Ken will be along and probably get some link for you.

Has the carb ever been worked on?

It sounded like you misplaced the boat or something in the title of the thread.

This guy Ken that he refers to is an expert at nothing except being a backyard hack

If you take it to Boat Doctor Billy at least you should get everything looked at and fixed in one trip whether it turns out to be ignition or fuel related.
katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 12:21pm
Thank you! I will look this up. Our mechanic that rebuilt my CJ-7 is willing to work on it... but not when he's got a shop full of autos needing to get people to and from work. I'll dive into this and get the "leg work" going.

Thanks again!

Katie
katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 12:24pm
I was hoping the quotes around missing would make it seem less likely that I left it somewhere, it floated away, someone took it. LOL! It's "missing" that last fire that makes the rumble of a nautique so distinct and beautiful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic