NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor stringer replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor stringer replacement
    Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:15pm
I am having the floor and stringers replaced in my 87 BFN. guy said he can do if for $2500. That's with me taking the motor, trans, and shaft out myslef and reinstalling them when he is done. Sounds like an ok price to me. Anyone have any imput about price. I am in the south east michigan area and the guy comes well recomended.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 5:12pm
While I haven't replaced stringers, I have replaced sections of the floor. As to your situation, I've always thought that the challenging thing about a project such as yours would be reinstalling and aligning everything properly. I can tell you from my experience, I'd rather be doing the stringer and floor work than resinstalling the engine trans et al. Just my $.02 If you have the time and you're handy enough to do the reinstall, I'm sure you're capable of handling the floor and stringers.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 7:57am
can you snap some pics of the rot area?? will you also travel? that price isnt too bad depending on the damage, it is winter, is that his standing around doing nothing winter price?
"the things you own will start to own you"
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 5:43pm
I have a 1971 Ski Nautique and I took everything out of the hull. We did a complete replacement of the stringers and all floor structure. Take pictures of detail areas and measurements too. I did not put foam back in before we reinstalled the floor. The cost of material and labor was close to $2500. I pulled the powertrain and reistalled it myself.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 8:22pm
can take pics hopefully this week. I use my borthers didgital camera, and he has not been home for a couple weeks now. Well not at the same time as mee anyway, we work opposite shifts. But I am going to start winterizing this week, before I pull motor.

Why Eric, do you do floor replacements. I have to travel to get to this guy. So depending on how far and price maybe. As far as him giving a stand around winter price he doesn't have one because he is always busy. All the times I have been there he's never had less than 5 boats in the shop being worked on. That was in December.

I am not affraid to save money so long as the end result is the same.
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 9:14pm
I purchased a 77 Ski Nautique this spring. It ran flawless all summer. It is in need of some floor and stringer work. Along with other things. I want to eventually restore to like new condition. I do not have the time or confidence to do the stringer work. Anyone interested please contact me. David Duckworth 701-294-2507 or ducky@gondtc.com. Willing to travel a thousand miles or so. Unless someone knows of a good one in the ND, MN, WI, IA area?
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 7:37am
BF, that is good winter work for our shop, dec. jan. or feb. if you could snap a few photos.
of coarse i would prefer doing the r and r on the engine. but i could keep it at the same price.
a picture tells a thousand stories
"the things you own will start to own you"
liveintegra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liveintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 12:54am
How can you tell if the stringers are rotten? Just by cracks in them or what?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 8:56am
well in my case the fibergla$$ has cracked and peeled away from the wood portion of the stringer. The wood has become very water logged, from not being cover with fibergla$$ anymore. Because of the lack of protection the wood has become very soft and is starting to fall apart.

But I believe my stringers are in the very late stages of being bad. With all the knowledgable people on this site, if yours are in the very early stages of going bad, someone here maybe able to help you fix them. With out having to replace them.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 5:11pm
Everyone doing any stringer repair / replacement should consider using epoxy resin instead of polyester.Polyester absorbs water moisture and is the reason we get hull blisters when a boat sits in the water for long periods of time. All the blister repairs are made with epoxy barriers because of its resistence to water. I have mentioned before that wood does not like to be sealed up with water. There really is no such thing as "encapsulation". With the epoxy at least water wil not enter directly thru the fiber gla$$. Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic