NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer tires off edge of boat ramp

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer tires off edge of boat ramp
    Posted: August-07-2006 at 3:36pm
You guys every had the trailer tires go off the end of the boat ramp while launching your boat?

I did, luckly not my SN but my mother in laws 22ft deck boat. What a pain to get the trailer back out of the lake. Lake is so low that the boat ramp does not go that far in the lake and drops off about 3 feet. I was able to get in the water and lift the trailer from the back and have some one drive the truck for me and then the trailer made it over the edge.

Bent the fenders but man I'm glad I was able to lift it don't know what I would have done...
Scott
Our 94 SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 3:48pm
My buddy did the same thing we ended up using the trailer straps to ratched the trailer up to the boat and still needed a 2x12 between the ramp and the trailer to get it up past a very vertical low hanging trailer support just in of the first axle. He drives a v10 dodge ram 4x4 with 39.5 inch tires boy did I have a few jokes about going to get my s10 to pull that trailer out for him...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 4:05pm
that's why it's better to float the boat off and on the trailer than powering it on and off so that it doesn't wash out the ramp and create holes.

I know very few people do this and that's why a lot of ramps suck and have hugh holes just past the concrete section of the ramp.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 4:22pm
In some places its just the design of the raft the ledge on the end of that ramp was deep enough that standing on the ground under water I couldn't reach the axle to try and lift it, that was the last time we used that ramp that year and after another two weeks there wasnt a ramp on the lake usable. Up here if a lake goes down two feet over the course of the summer that would be unheard of, that year the level of that lake fell 17 feet over the course of the summer..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 4:38pm
in the case of a resavoir or where the lake has a damn, water levels play a big part, I'm used to a nautral lake where the water level doesn't change that much, say a foot tops for the season. in that case alot of it is caused by loading and un-loading underpower,

where there is a large change in water level it doesn't make much difference.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 4:43pm
Scott, sorry to hear about that lake level still going down.

I have a friend who ripped the axle off his trailer in that situation. Glad you got out of it with a couple bent fenders.

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 6:03pm
I will never forget the day I did that. Put the boat in, started to drive up the ramp and boom. Stopped dead in my tracks, I put it in 4 wheel drive and still couldn't move. Two guys came over and picked up on the trailer a little bit, you know the tires make it easy to move around in the water, and I pulled on up the ramp. They started hollering stop, stop. I got out and the tire on the driver side was sticking out about 30 degrees. I bent the spindle on the axe. I couldn't believe the tire didn't burst before it bent the axel. So I pulled the trailer down the road to a welder, he heated it up and bent it back by eye. Man did I ruin that tire going down the road. The tread was peeled up an inch high. I left it like it was for several years, got tired of buying one tire every couple of years and finally bought a new axel.
Tim D
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2006 at 11:38am
Lake Travis here in Austin is considered full @ 681 ft...it's currently @ 652 There are still ramps open but many will close here in the next month. the lake is the lowest it has been since Oct of 2000.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic