Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

edelbrock carbs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: edelbrock carbs
    Posted: July-31-2006 at 9:27am
Guys I'm running a edelbrock carb on my 78 mustang.It has the 302 in it and i'm still having hard starting problems when the engine is hot.The carb is new and it is set up right.The idle mixtures screws are set right,the choke is set right(one notch to the lean side).The floats are also set properly on the carb.I have great vacuum(18 inches)at idle,timing is at 10 degrees btc and the boat runs great and it idles perfect.Now I posted this problem on the forum bout 8 weeks ago and I took everyone tips and put them to good use.Now who runs a edelbrock on ther boat,are anyone of you having this problem.I called edelbrock tech support and the guy seemed to think with the angle of the engine it could be effecting the the way the carb is working.He suggested a leveling spacing to make the carb sit level instead of a angle.Also edelbrock only wants 5lbs. of pressure off the fuel pump for ther carb,I've got 7lbs.Come on guys I don't think a 2lb pressure difference is going to make it flood out also even though they say excessive gas pressure will make it flood out like that.I know the damn thing is not vapor locking up but this problem is making my boating season very pissy.So has anyone had this problem?Does anyone have to use a leveling block spacer on ther intake?And what do you all think about the 2lb pressure difference with the fuel pump to carb.I'm not leaking gas down the intake of the either.Is this the reason everyone runs holleys on these boat?Is it a design issue between the carbs.I've just never had good luck with holley carbs,to many things can go wrong with them while the edelbrocks are much more simply made.What do you all think?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:27am
YES GET A HOLLEY

2 PSI is almost 30% high.

What do you mean starting problems? that could be a hundred things. You have to describe the systems better than "hard starting" else you'll get similarly vague advice.

Whats happening?
Do you have to pump it?
Do you have to hold it WOT to dry it out?
Are you trying to start it without touching the throttle?
Is the starter labored when hot?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:32am
gottaski,

there is about 4 pages of discussion on bmillers previous post

it would be ashame to make us all start over
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:43am
Whoops, Yea, it would, especially when he already knows whats wrong...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
martini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:01am
There is a reason Edelbrock wants you to run 5psi, you should start there and once you know you have everything set up according to Edelbrock's recommendations start diagnosing your problem. You can't really fix it if you are out of speck on what the MANUFACTURER recommends. I have had a Edelbrock Marine carb on a previous boat and set it up exactly as the company recommended and I had no issues what so ever, especially on hot restarts.
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:47am
I have been following your issues because I have the same problem with a new holley. Runs perfect all the time starts perfect until it gets hot. I have also tried all of the items listed in your other post. My point is you are not alone and I am also sick of it. Maybe some one else has an idea?

Brad
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 12:36pm
I'm trying to start it without thottle.You should not have to give it any gas when its hot.In the end i'm having to give it WOT to get it to finally start after it seems to crank forever.The starter does'nt seem to be laboring when its hot.I've also got a 1000 cranking amp battery in the boat so its not lacking juice.I'm running out of solutions for the problem that I have.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 1:49pm
If you indeed need WOT to dry it out then your still pissing fuel into the manifold somehow.

Most boats out there need a little crack of throttle to start when hot because people set the idle mix a little too lean, but that doesn't sound like your problem...yet.

River Rat to Mole
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 2:21pm
I'm going to try the regulator so I can get the fuel pressure down to 5lbs,then I'll go from there.It says in the edelbrock manuel that it is a symptom of hard starting when the engine is hot(to much pressure).I guess anything is a possible.Just a process of elimination .
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 10:54am
bought an edelbrock from sumitt racing, after 10 months of jets springs fuel pumps fuel regulators and being on a first name basis with their tech line, i gave up,nada zip.i quit.........holley makes a special marine carb for the 302,kinda pricey,but super satisfied,idle 400 rpms in gear, instant start,and a hole shot from hell. wish i would have bought the holley first,cheaper is not anyways better........boat dr
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 1:11pm
Yeah,I ordered a holley 450cfm made for the 302 yesterday.Hoping I get good results.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 7:26pm
idle air screw at 3/4 turn out, idle speed in gear 400, hear the planataries making a little noise,but velvet drive says dont go that low at idle, for that reason. 1/2 turn gives a smother idle but will not crank w/no throttle. love my holley......boat dr
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 3:06am
I had the same experience. Hard starts. I checked everything...floats, springs, jets, metering rods. Spent days working through the problems while talking to the Tech support. For some reason Tech Support would not come off the fact that their Carb needs a wedge plate. After I put the wedge plate on...it ran great, hot or cold starts were easy and the engine can idle down below 600 RPM while in gear. We slalom with this carb so we re-start with a hot engine about 20 times per day without a problem. We even wake surf which requires the bow up and about 1500 RPM's and the Edelbrock still works fine.

Edelbrock has good fuel consumption especially in mid range. Holley is a WOT carb and faster in my opinion and does not require the wedge plate.

We have 5-7 slalom skiers at our place and a few over 200 lbs. We wakeboard and surf when we get tired of the "pull". I rarely hard throttle my boat which is another factor. So it may create a stir here, and it's only one guy's experience (and I wasn't drinking), but I ran both carbs on the same boat for a few days each. I like the Edelbrock better due to mid-range fuel consumption. All day long at 3600/3200 RPM's pulling the slalom really showed the difference in gas consumption.

Whatever Carb is on your boat, you can make it work.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 7:46am
Well I have both the leveling plate for the edelbrock carb an a new holley carb coming to try which one I like best.I'd like to keep the edelbrock,I think you will have less problems in the long run (but thats just my opinion).64 skier were you running the 600 carb on a 302 or a 351?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 10:46am
I'm running the 600 on a 289.
64 Skier
71CC
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:20am
I have an edelbrock 600 on a 302 as well, I have a wedge plate with it runs perfect idle about 450 rpm (too low for the alternator and transmission pump but I have been too lazy to pull the cover and change it). I think with that carb design you really do need the wedge plate the side float bowls being at an angle would make float adjustment impossible it woudl be hard to have any fuel at the level of the idle circuit jets and not have so much fuel in the area of the secondary jets that it would be closing the float. I am extremely happy with my fuel consumption with the edelbrock at cruising speeds, the secondarys don't kick in till you are in the 37 mph or so range around then you start to feel a sharp pain in the area of your wallet.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 12:19pm
The wedge plate that I ordered from summit is only a 8 degree plate.Thats what edelbrock told me to get.Where did you guys get your plates at? Also what fuel pressure are you all running,are you using fuel pressure regulators?Just kind of curious.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 1:23pm
No fuel pressure regulator, stock fuel pump, wedge plate and carb came with the boat when I got it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:09pm
Well I'll let you know what happens and what I decide to go with,The holley or edelbrock
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 7:08pm
I use a wedge plate and it works quite well. I keep it under my butt so I don't fall out of my seat when I nail it and the boat stands up by about 30 Deg or when I make a hard turn or quick stop. Catch my drift? What's 8 degrees gonna do?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2006 at 9:20am
Well the 8 degree wedge plate is what EDELBROCK tech service said to use and it did make the carb sit level.I doesn't matter it didn't work,the engine ran like sh*t so the edelbrock nightmare is over.Finally received and installed a new holley 450, had to adjust the front float but after all that the holley works great.It doesn't flood the engine when its hot,and it starts every time.I guess a good lesson was learned,and what the hell at first when this all started I knew very little about carbs.Well now I do.Took the boat out last night and it ran perfect.Thanks everyone for your insights.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:00am
Excellent article about Carbs and a lot of info on the Holley in the Carraft.com Site
64 Skier
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic