Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'95 SN starting problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '95 SN starting problem
    Posted: July-04-2017 at 6:45pm
My '95 Sport Nautique, multi-port injected engine is beginning to exhibit starting problems, i.e. it fires immediately but then coughs and quits. It's like whatever supplies fuel just after starting doesn't always kick in and it dies.. It only happens once in a while but it seems to be getting worse.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2017 at 2:19pm
Do you have a fuel control cell? (FCC) ?   some of the 95's have them, some don't from what I understand.    the FCC has a rubber line in it that needs replacement as it deteriorates with age from what I understand.   the other thing this sounds like to me is a low or high pressure fuel pump that is intermittent/sticky.   if you put a fuel gauge on the end of the fuel rail, and watch your fuel pressure, you might find that your FP is low when this happens.    One other thought...   Check your anti siphon valve. if it is sticky or dirty, that could contribute to your issue as well.

1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:03am
From what I can see my Pro Boss, '95 GT 40 engine does not have a Fuel Control Cell as the fuel comes from the tank to the low pressure pump and then goes directly into the high pressure pump. Does this sound correct?

My fuel pump relay must not be bad because I hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds each time I turn the key to start.

I see a simple rubber (Neoprene?) hose coming out of one of the modules that has a water tight electrical connector. That hose runs through the distributor boot and then into a whiteish plastic cylinder that looks a little like an inline fuel filter, which I don't think it is.

I'm thinking my problem must be the low and/or high pressure fuel pump. I see that part still listed on Nautiqueparts.com as PN: RA080025A...is it still available? The low pressure pump is listed there as well, PN: RA080018.

As I stated earlier my engine runs absolutely perfectly 99% of the time but sometimes it will crank just fine and fire but whatever is supposed to keep[ the fuel flowing to keep it running just doesn't catch hold.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:12am
PN: RA080025a listed on Nautiqueparts doesn't look like my high pressure pump as mine has two fuel lines on the bottom and the top one has a threaded fitting.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:29am
Make sure both electric pumps come on with the Key. It will take two people because the pump will come on as you turn the key and shut off 3 seconds later.
It will do this every time you turn the key but will only stay on if the engine starts.
This is a safety feature built in.
Verify your fuel pressure at the fuel rail Schroeder valve.
If the low pressure pump is coming on and the fuel pressure is low the problem is at your high pressure pump.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:47am
Has your low pressure pump ever been changed?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 2:20am
Thank you for chiming in on this problem. I've read many posts on this topic and gained some good understanding.

I don't know if either of the fuel pumps have been replaced as this is just our second summer owning this boat.

I disconnected the HPP electrical connection and when I turn the ignition on the LPP makes a noise like it's working. I reconnected the HPP electrics and disconnected a wire to the LPP and the HPP also sounds like it's working but makes a higher pitch sound.

It makes sense that they both work as the engine runs flawlessly 99% of the time.

It kind of seems that it may be an intermittent vapor lock when the engine is warm.

I'll test that theory tomorrow although I doubt it will act up when I want it to on any consistent basis.

I guess I should get a fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight and have it handy for the next time the problem occurrs.

Thanks for the help so far.

Should I try disconnection the second steel braided line from the bottom of the HPP and plugging it as I think I read in a post?
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:07am
I have now at least determined that my '95 SN does not have a FCC (fuel control cell) after viewing a utube video.
I guess my problem must be one of the fuel pumps or maybe the fuel filter. I think I will replace the filter and check the anti-siphon hose although I have no idea what I am looking for there. I'll keep a fuel pressure gauge handy too. At this point I'll be riding in the boat by myself as my wife has lost confidence in it's reliability.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:27am
Drop a quart of Automatic Transmission fluid in the fuel tank with at least a 1/2 tank of gas. It helps lubricate and clean the pump and injectors. Not legal to use in a car with a catalytic converter but works great in a F.I. boat.   You will not detect even a puff of smoke but it does lubricate well.
Run the engine normally.
The next time it stalls or won't start take a rubber hammer and tap on the low pressure pump. If fuel dries out in the pump as it can do over the winter months it leaves crusty particles behind. They can interfere with the pump rotation. Sometimes a little tap can break it up and make it run fine. I am not suggesting a hammer swing like you drive a nail with, just a couple bumps. Option 2 is pull the low pressure pump apart and inspect it. Sometimes there are particles you can remove. The LPP is a very durable design, it just does not function well if particles have accumulated in the vanes.   I have not pulled a Carter Marine pump apart and they may have it sealed but I have taken apart the Carter automotive pumps that look just like the Marine pump.
These are fuel lubricated pumps and don't do well if the fuel dries out in the pump. The LPP has a cavity that does not drain in the bottom of the pump where the electric motor is housed.. Perfect spot for fuel to evaporate over the winter leaving the crud behind.
Most Motorhomes prior to fuel injection ran this low pressure Carter pump and I saw this many times in Motor Homes that sat a period without use.
If this does not fix it the LPP is less than $100.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 10:14am
Easy to tell if your LP pump has been changed - the new ones are not painted so if it's black it's the original pump. If it's the original might just want to change it,they seem to go out easy.Google Carter P 4389 fuel pump you can find them for under 60 bucks. Might also check your anti siphon valve,change fuel filter and since they are 20 + change the rubber fuel line from tank to pump and the return line.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 2:23pm
a flow test on the lpp might be a good Idea. mine turned, but didn't pump fuel at one point.   Sounds like Mark's theory might have been the demise of my LPP.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 4:37pm
I am going to replace the LLP and the fuel filter.

My engine has no FCC.

If replacing these two parts doesn't solve the problem what do you guys think about replacing the HPP with one from an auto parts store with the same specs but no second return line on the bottom. I would then plug the line that went there on the original HHP?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 6:24pm
Paul,gundriver here on the site has done just that with his. we will have to see what parts he used.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 6:47pm
Don't waste anymore money on parts until you check your fuel pressure when it doesn't start.
I answered some of the questions in your other thread on the anti siphon.
If the fuel filter was clogged it wouldn't run period not just intermittent, I don't suspect the low pressure pump but you could test it to see.
There is a screen in the bottom main port of the high pressure pump that could get clogged but then again I would expect it to run pourly all the time if that was clogged not just on hot restarts.
I did sacrifice my old pump today and cut it open I will post pics and findings tomorrow if I have time.
There is a little rubber flapper check valve in the bottom port that crosses to the return line mine was stuck in the grate that covers it leaving it open. Could be the problem allowing to much fuel to cross to return on start up "not sure".
Other than that there are small o-ring type seals around the electrical contacts in the top that can be ruptured easily "ask me how I know" and cannot be repaired so be careful when connecting the forked plug in the top.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 8:07pm
I agree with Gun=driver, test the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the injector fuel rail when it will not start. You should see about 40 psi.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 8:40pm
Thanks for all of the good info. I now have a fuel pump tester with a Schrader valve fitting so that will be my first test.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 10:05pm
What I found on mine was air in the line. I believe the air was from the first couple cranks of the engine the injectors using the fuel in the rail and the fuel pump failing to keep pressure at 39psi +/- 3.
What I did when it wouldn't start was attach the tester and jump the pumps to run continuously then use the bleed function of the tester to bleed the line of air into a bottle (usually Molson Canadian...yum ) and the motor would start and run fine.
This is the tester I use
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/actron-fuel-pressure-tester-kit-cp7818/9030328-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=9030328-P&c3apidt=22084223098&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo8Wtju311AIVj5x-Ch2upQ8bEAQYAiABEgI4EfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 10:12pm
My engine ran and started all day today with the fuel pressure gauge attached to the schrader valve on the fuel rail.. PSI is 32 at all speeds and all throttle positions. I can't get a repeat on the hard start problem but guarantee it will occur the first time my wife tries to start it and I'm not around...oh yes, I will hear about it no matter how far away I might be.

When I first turn the ignition on the PSI jumps to 10 the first time, about 20 the second, about 30 the third and 39 to 4o on the forth time. I'm pretty sure it would start at any of those pressures.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 10:27pm
In addition, with the engine at idle the PSI jumps from 32 to about 38 when I remove the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and goes back to 32 when I re-connect it..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 10:29pm
How many hours do you have on the boat? Still have the original black LP pump on?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 11:02pm
420 hours. I suspect the LLP has been replaced even though it is black on the outside on the easiest to see surface. Upon careful inspection I can see that the main, sort of canister, part is bright metal where it's not easy to see. The guy I bought this boat from was a detailing freak and he, very carefully, painted everything black to keep it new looking.

I'm going to keep the fuel pressure gauge attached for the foreseeable future and hope the hard starting problem will rear its ugly head and I will be able to see some explanation in the fuel pressure.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 11:15pm
I'm suspecting the LP pump. Mine was changed before 300 hrs. Is the wire connector plug in still in place or are there butt connectors hard wiring the harness to that pump?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 1:06am
I have a new LLP and fuel filter on hand and I was going to replace them when someone on this thread suggested checking the pressure at the fuel rail before buying a bunch of new parts. I sure wish, #1. the hard starting problem would occur while I have the pressure gauge connected and, #2. I could, once and for all, determine what causes the random, occasional hard starting problem from what the fuel pressure gauge tells me.

It sure seems like it might be some kind of a vapor lock problem.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 4:51am
First, it is normal for the fuel pressure to jump when you disconnect the vacuum line.
That function is there to increase fuel pressure any time you open the throttle which dumps the vacuum down to near zero.   In cruise mode your vacuum may come up to 15 inches or so and it needs less fuel pressure.

The fact that your pressure is coming up to 32 slowly tells me either the high pressure pump is slow to pressurize or your pressure relief valve on the fuel rail is not working.
It should not vary.   The 10 psi number is most likely only the LPP, 32 constant would be the HPP.   I have not read the specs on the GT40 Pro Boss injection but it would be good to know what the factory expects. The injectors like a constant fuel pressure to work properly. You are on the right track with the pressure gauge attached.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:09am
When trying to diagnose a problem/symptom its best to understand or at least some what understand how said system works!!!
As I posted before, there is a very good manual in the reference section that would help you understand what your gauge is telling you.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/Pro_BOss_GT-40_Service_Manual.pdf
I would read section 2B

Sounds to me that your pressure regulator is working and one of your pumps is getting weak.
When you first turn on the key you should have a solid 39+/- 3 psi you shouldn't have to continue to cycle the key to boost the pressure.
I would check the screen in the bottom of the HP pump for restrictions, then check the fuel flow/pressure from the LP if that all checks out its probably the HP.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:32pm
Another thing I'm going to try is to push the purge, or pressure release, button if the problem recurs in hopes of relieving any fuel rail vapor lock.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Another thing I'm going to try is to push the purge, or pressure release, button if the problem recurs in hopes of relieving any fuel rail vapor lock.

The Schrader valve?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:55pm
The fuel pressure gauge is attached to the fuel rail Schrader valve and there is a purge or pressure release valve on the pressure gauge. This is the valve I will press to eliminate pressure in the system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:12pm
If it acts like mine did at the end it will take a little while to clear the rail and the pump to catch a prime, should jump the pumps so they run continuous. You will hear the pump change tone when it primes be prepared to catch the fuel in something as you will get several ounces out of the line.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic