Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 SNOB EFI GT-40 stalls out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 SNOB EFI GT-40 stalls out
    Posted: July-10-2006 at 12:53pm
I just sold my 88 SN 2001 and purchased a 95 Ski Nautique open bow with the EFI GT-40 motor. I am unfamiliar with the EFI system....... the motor runs fine while out of the water at home, but when I'm at the lake the motor does not idle well. It seems to surge up and down and then stall. Also in rough water the boat will cut out at various rpm's, like I'm losing electrical power or the fuel pump is cutting out. At one point the boat would not start until I let it sit for a few minutes.

There is also a distinct whine when driving, like an old v-drive would make.

My 88 SN was bullet proof with absolutely no problems......... I think I made a mistake upgrading to an open bow ( wife and kids pressured me ).

Should I be headed to a boat shop, or can I tackle these issues on my own ?

Thank you
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 4:15pm
The first thing I would do is check your fuel pump and ignition relays. Fiorst, clean the contacts and then try swapping them, see if the symptoms change or improve. If that doesnt help, I would start testing the fuel pumps. It is strange that the boat would idle fine in the driveway, but not on the lake...

The whine you hear is the transmission. All 1.23:1 boats make that sound- youre right its very distinct. Nothing wrong with it though.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 4:22pm
I would look at the idle air control, throttle position sensor, or throttle plate. It sounds like the computer is trying to compensate for a vaccum leak or bad sensor.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 6:08pm
Thank you very much for your input....... I will let you know what I find out once I do as you both have suggested.

One question about the 1.23:1 transmission..... my 88 SN did not whine, is that because it was a 1:1 and not a 1.23:1 ratio ?

Thanks again,

Todd
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 9:43am
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

Thank you very much for your input....... I will let you know what I find out once I do as you both have suggested.

One question about the 1.23:1 transmission..... my 88 SN did not whine, is that because it was a 1:1 and not a 1.23:1 ratio ?

Thanks again,

Todd

Yup, thats it. Not sure why the Powerplus 1.23:1 whines, but they all do. I remember when my uncle bought a '90 (we had an '88 at the time)- that whine sure took some getting used to!
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 8:51pm
Check all your fuel lines, make sure the hose clamps are tight so you're not sucking air.
Believe me, when you get that GT-40 running smooth you will be very happy you upgraded.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 1:17am
no it's not
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 2:27pm
Update on the GT-40........

replaced spark plugs, cap and rotor. Swapped the relays and cleaned the throttle plate.

new ignition control module installed.

Boat ran great for half a day and then completely died.

Motor will crank, but no spark and fuel pump will not energize.

Checked the relays, and it appears that there is no power to one of the relays, and definitely no power to the fuel pump. ignition switch appears to test fine.

motor will crank over, but thats it.

Any suggestions ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 1:43pm
Found out the problem on my 95 GT-40 EFI. THe wire that has the in-line fuse which goes to to battery was corroded. replaced it and everything works great. Should of checked that first before I replaced all the electrical components I could find through SKIDIM. But at least I know which parts are new and should not be an issue for the future.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 11:35pm
Nice job.

Where is that fuse located?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic