Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pulling out carpet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling out carpet
    Posted: February-25-2017 at 9:59pm
Okay getting ready to replace the carpet in a 2002 Ski Nautique. What do you do to remove the glue that is left down. I haven't pulled it up yet, carpet is on the way. Getting ready to start. Recommendations?
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 12:40am
I have found this stuff called EZ Strip at Home Depot. Spray it on and let sit for 10-15 minutes and the glue gets soft. It still takes some scrubbing, but it is faster than the Goof Off I was using before.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Removing the remnants of the backing and old glue is another story and is a serious PITA, at least if you're trying to do a clean prep job for the new carpet going down. I have a 3' blade scraper that does a decent job removing most of the old carpet backing remnants. The adhesive left after that is a slow, ugly process to remove... A combination of acetone and a wire brush does a decent job, but it's not a fun one. The adhesive remover may do a little better than acetone? The shortcoming of the acetone is that it evaporates pretty quick and is not a lot of fun to breathe..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

I have found this stuff called EZ Strip at Home Depot. Spray it on and let sit for 10-15 minutes and the glue gets soft. It still takes some scrubbing, but it is faster than the Goof Off I was using before.

I used Sentinel 626 at the recommendation of the guy who installed by boat carpet. It worked amazingly for me.   Just apply it on top the carpet and let it soak in. Link to product
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

I used Sentinel 626 at the recommendation of the guy who installed by boat carpet. It worked amazingly for me.   Just apply it on top the carpet and let it soak in. Link to product

Considering the source of the Sentiniel 626 this I'm sure will work better!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 5:05pm
I would be interested to see a comparison. The Goof Off evaporated too quickly. I am not doing a huge area, so I went with the $8 bottle of what looked like it would work. If I run out I am tempted to try 1 of the others to see if they work better, but we don't have Menard around here.
'92 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

I would be interested to see a comparison. The Goof Off evaporated too quickly. I am not doing a huge area, so I went with the $8 bottle of what looked like it would work. If I run out I am tempted to try 1 of the others to see if they work better, but we don't have Menard around here.

Brent,
You don't have a HD near you??????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 10:49pm
Pete - Are you on a profit sharing plan?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 11:16pm
I believe HD is a site sponsor?
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brent,
You don't have a HD near you??????

We have HD, just not Menard. The alternate around here is Lowes.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic