Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower on a 79 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Aaron,
The 70's pylons were attached at the keel and at the sole (floor). There is a female cup that gets glassed in at the keel with a corresponding male pin in the bottom of the aluminum pylon. Just under the sole, there's extra wood crosswise between the two main stringers, This is where a plate that's welded to the pylon at the sole level gets bolted.

You know you're in trouble when you think to yourself "Keel, I've heard this word before and I think it's a boat word..."

I'm learning so much in such little time. Time to google what a keel is.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:54am
Here's a picture of what Pete's talking about:

I just pulled the motor out of my 74 Mustang and am prepping it for a floor replacement, so I had a pretty clear shot. I can take more pictures if you need them.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 10:37am
Does anyone know if he just might get lucky and the cup is already there? Seems to me the seat configuration would be kind of an afterthought, and that all hulls might be fitted with the cup, either way. Then down the line, but boat can be fitted either with a bench with no pylon or with 2 buckets and a pylon. The few 17s in the diaries come in both flavors.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 10:46am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Does anyone know if he just might get lucky and the cup is already there? Seems to me the seat configuration would be kind of an afterthought, and that all hulls might be fitted with the cup, either way. Then down the line, but boat can be fitted either with a bench with no pylon or with 2 buckets and a pylon. The few 17s in the diaries come in both flavors.

Larry,
Chances are real high that the cup is already glassed in at the keel especially since the M17 and American Skier shared the same hull. I installed several pylons back in the days when they were dealer installed. These were in late 60's early 70's hulls and the cups were there from the factory. CC may have continued the method into later years? I remember there was even one Cuda that already had the hole in the sole and in the extra wood between the stringers. That one was easy since all I needed to do was cut the vinyl flooring!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

How does the Pylon normally attach? Does it get glassed directly. Into the hull itself or something?Thanks!

This is how mine is attached. Originally did not have welded aluminum bracket, just wood between stringers.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 11:52am
I was hoping someone would post a pic like that - I want to include a bracket like that in my floor replacement project.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 12:15pm

Larry,
Chances are real high that the cup is already glassed in at the keel especially since the M17 and American Skier shared the same hull. I installed several pylons back in the days when they were dealer installed. These were in late 60's early 70's hulls and the cups were there from the factory. CC may have continued the method into later years? I remember there was even one Cuda that already had the hole in the sole and in the extra wood between the stringers. That one was easy since all I needed to do was cut the vinyl flooring!!

Pete-My Marauder came just as you say. Cup, hole and extra wood. Now lets see where this thread goes!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:39pm
Does anyone manufacture or know how to get your hands on one of those pylons?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:47pm
Look back thru the posts under this topic. There is one available
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by dchris17 dchris17 wrote:

Greg F. in Badin, NC has one. NCH20skier. is his screen name. He is on this post. Send him a PM via the site and he will get in touch with you. The ring and fingers are hard to come by. They remove with roll pins from the pylon. Some come out easy, some do not for if you slid the fly high or skylon over the pylon. You do not have to remove it if you used the Super Deluxe Boom Mount.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Greg F. in Badin, NC has one. NCH20skier. is his screen name. He is on this post. Send him a PM via the site and he will get in touch with you. The ring and fingers are hard to come by. They remove with roll pins from the pylon. Some come out easy, some do not for if you slid the fly high or skylon over the pylon. You do not have to remove it if you used the Super Deluxe Boom Mount.

Donald

PM'd. Thanks!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 2:54pm

[/IMG]

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 8:25pm
Thanks!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 1:34am
Thanks everybody! This all has been extremely helpful!

Another question. Does anybody know what years and models of Correct Craft boats used the same Pylon? I'm searching for one right now and I don't know what all will fit my Mustang.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 9:25am
76-79 SN/mustang/Martinique should all fit. Pylons were slightly smaller diam 73-75 and would work other than the hole in the floor being too large. 80-87 SN is the same as the 76-79 version but won't have the flange at the floor.

76-81 Ski Tique would likely fit but the pylon won't have the bend at the floor and would likely interfere with a bench seat.

Avoid anything out of a v-hull boat, the length (especially below floor) will be quite different (bfn, Southwind, etc).

You should buy Greg's pictured above if it's still available.
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 12:23pm
I was a day late and Greg sounds like he has his sold, so I'm just keeping my eyes out at the moment for another good one.

Thank you!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 7:28pm
Art Cozier may still have one.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 9:46pm

I was a day late and Greg sounds like he has his sold, so I'm just keeping my eyes out at the moment for another good one.

Thank you!

I have already put a tower on my boat, so I will bow out on the sale of the pylon if you make it happen within a week...

BTW, I hunted for a long time to find a simple tower that I didn't think looked terrible on my old boat, and though I will occasionally take some crap for it, I actually like the way it looks on my old boat.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 10:30pm

Thank you!

I have already put a tower on my boat, so I will bow out on the sale of the pylon if you make it happen within a week...

BTW, I hunted for a long time to find a simple tower that I didn't think looked terrible on my old boat, and though I will occasionally take some crap for it, I actually like the way it looks on my old boat.

What tower did you put on?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 11:49pm
http://www.joystickpylons.com/towers_pro.htm You can also see it in the diaries on my boat.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:51am
Dchris17,

Thanks a TON! Thanks to you I might actually be able to use my boat at least a few times this year, I thought I was going to be SOL until next season.

Again, thank you!   
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 9:32am
Not sure how your going to tow anything ?
The loop fitting on the stern is to LIFT the boat
not to pull from ?   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

not to pull from ?   

Plus 1!
If you are contemplating using the lifting ring, don't.
BTW, no tubes no matter where you connect them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 10:47am

not to pull from ?   

Plus 1!
If you are contemplating using the lifting ring, don't.
BTW, no tubes no matter where you connect them!

1 - Not sure where anyone said they intended to pull from the lifting ring and 2 - I know this comes up on a regular basis, but I think the fears of using the lifting ring to tow are way overstated sometimes. I wouldn't pull a tube or a line of skiers, but I don't think it hurts anything to pull a skier. We did it for years with our 66 Mustang without pulling the transom out of the boat. This shot from the 66 brochures tells me that CC doesn't think it is the worst thing you could ever possibly do to a boat.

KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:26am

not to pull from ?   

From the pylon that dchris17 is passing up to let me have.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:07pm

I couldn't swipe a pylon from a guy who won't be able to get wet as a result!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 5:10pm

I couldn't swipe a pylon from a guy who won't be able to get wet as a result!

I honestly don't know if random strangers have ever been this kind to me. Between all the helpful people here, dchris17 passing up on the pylon for me, and NCH20SKIER helping me out like this. Really, thank you everybody!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 5:12pm

I honestly don't know if random strangers have ever been this kind to me.

Welcome to CCF. That's just kinda the way it is around here.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 9:14pm

I honestly don't know if random strangers have ever been this kind to me.

Welcome to CCF. That's just kinda the way it is around here.

If you come to one of the mini events you will be blown away by how many guys are jumping on other boats with screw drivers and timing lights helping people dial in carbs and such that they have been fighting for a long time. At the same time you will have another group teaching your kids or friends to ski, wakeboard and foot.

At the last White Lake NC event. My 15 year old daughter learned how to Judge a fireball shot contest. It brought a tear to my eye.

Then there is Chris Quinner and I do not want to scare you off by telling you what you will learn from him. [LOL

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 2:36pm
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic