NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Disc

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 10:36am
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 11:12am
Popular Mechanics says 3 feet Of course people were skinnier then ...

They also were getting their surf on back in 64... we should spend a day recreating this article at some point
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 11:16am
They shouldn't be having this much fun on devices of improper diameters:

BTW, I'll sign mine, but the price is $600.00.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 11:20am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Popular Mechanics says 3 feet Of course people were skinnier then ...

They also were getting their surf on back in 64... we should spend a day recreating this article at some point

Joe, really enjoyed that link! Also interesting, scroll down a few pages and there's an article on pollution and atmosphere warming, in 1964!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 11:24am
On a serious note, you guys need to be a bit careful on the dimensions. If you are running a 1.23/1 transmission you have to avoid a 1.23 meter disc (48.4252 inches) as the resonant diameter to rotation ratio can cause the disc to violently rock side to side and throw the rider.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 12:17pm
Joe,
Thanks for that link. Besides the 36" reference, I too enjoyed the other content. It too bad they didn't mention how to cut the disk nor what type of edge to use.

I mentioned using a router, the circle attachment and then using a bull nose bit to give the edge a nice convex curve. Here's the bit just in case anyone needs a visualization. The radius of the cutter exceeds the thickness of the material chosen so the flats on the top and bottom of the bit are not included.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 12:29pm
I've never had a bit like that Pete, just used a quarter round bit top and bottom. Agreed that it leave a bit of a "square" edge rather than the convex but in practical use there's no sharp edges and unless you look closely it appears to be a full radius.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:13pm
So you use one with sharp edges. As if you guys didn't grow up with lead gas and paint, played with mercury and drove around with no seat belts. What has happened to our world where you ride a bicycle with a helmet but you won't when you ride your Harley???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:21pm
Geez Pete......a fancy schmancy bit like that and the router to put it in would cost 4x more than the freaking disk hacked out of 3/4 ply with a chainsaw!

Go the cheap route and cut the darn thing out of that old plywood subdivision sign by the road thats been there for a couple years. It's already painted so you have two issues out of the way. It's a freaking piece of plywood for plying on the water. if/ when it falls apart ...just make another one from that other sign across town!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:41pm
I have some plywood laying around so that is what I am going to use. Interestingly enough I went to the Raleigh boat show and they were promoting a disc as a new product and at a steal of price 499 although that is for a 6' diameter. link to one on ebay

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Geez Pete......a fancy schmancy bit like that and the router to put it in would cost 4x more than the freaking disk hacked out of 3/4 ply with a chainsaw!

Tim,
In my case, I have a pretty good assortment of bits so I didn't buy the bit just for the disk projects. Next time I make a disk, I guess I had better look around for road signage and get the chain saw out! It sure would eliminate all the heat I've gotten here. Ether that or I'll just keep my big mouth shut!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:45pm
youtube link link
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 2:19pm
When I make mine, I'm going to stretch a skinny bike inner tube around the outside and glue it on. I'm more worried about cutting the vinyl on the boat than saving myself from head trauma. I want to surf the thing on a short line......do you think that'll work? LOL.

I've got a couple of old windsurfing boards....wonder what to do with them. Maybe strap them together and make a 4 person catamaran tow thingy. There's no end to what we can tow behind our water tractors!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I've got a couple of old windsurfing boards....wonder what to do with them.

They make very a very decent poor man's SUP... Learned that from Joe!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 3:59pm
Ok so in my moving process I have moved a sheet of 7 ply baltic birch plywood that is about to be made into a disc. If not mistaken this is 5' wide so it could end up as an oversized disc
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic