Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water mixing with oil in 1981 Bare ft.351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jlehrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlehrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water mixing with oil in 1981 Bare ft.351
    Posted: June-06-2006 at 10:36am
I own a 1981 Barefoot Nautique with a 351 raw water cooled in good to excellent condition. It has been winterized regularly. Last summer I notice a milky consistancy in the oil and this did not go away after I changed the oil twice. Then the engine stopped turninng over (vapor lock?). I don't want to spend over $1000 in repairs. Is this practical? Is there a common cause to this problem (head gasket) or does the age of the engine and the brackish saltwater make this not worth fixing? What would be the value of a boat in this condtion?

New Jersey
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 10:56am
the engine isn't vapor locked it's smoked, it wasn't winterized correcly and cracked the block or the head gasket is shot. If it has been run brackish water without a closed cooling system then the block's junk most likely.

The milk look stuff is water so either the brackish water has corroided away the blcok and it cracked or it frooze and cranked, regardless it has to be replaced and cannot be rebuilt.
Jlehrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlehrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 12:00pm
Trying to be optimistic...if a head gasket is to blame then that is not the end of road for the motor...right? However, it is hard to be optimistic when the engine (once very reliable) is no longer willing to try turn over. Perhaps the starter or solenoid quit that same week the oil and water started to mix! If the engine is toast can I varify that by attempting to turn it by hand using a wrench on the pully bolt?

Thank you for your time to reply!

New Jersey
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 12:08pm
it's not turning because there is water in the cylinders and all your going to do is tear it up more. If the head gasket is to blame then it might be salvagable, depending upon the condition cooling passages. The block wil have to be dipped and cleaned and magnafluxed to see if it is cracked. A visual inspection might tell you has well.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 1:00pm
Jlehrach, I think you may have had a chance to salvage the engine had you take action when you first noticed the “milky” oil. But after 2 oil changes (about 100 hours) it is probably too late to save that engine. Even if it is only a head gasket, or possibly a rotten head (I do not think it would be the block) you lower end is shot from a lack of lubrication. I would not invest too much into that engine. Good luck.
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 1:06pm
I've always heard if saltwater gets in the oil the motor is trash. Head gasket would be the first culprit, intake gasket and timing chain cover to follow. If you have a cast iron intake, it might have rusted through. If the oil was milky and you kept running, you're lucky you haven't turned a bearing. And for changing the oil, the valve covers are probably loaded with goop on the inside.
Tim D
Jlehrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlehrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 1:27pm
Again first off...thanks for correspondence!

When I first discovered the water in the oil in mid summer 05 I quickly ran new oil/filter through engine not once but twice without running more water through the block! Not 100 hours, more like 100 seconds! (boat is stored on a lift out of water and never bottom painted..anyone interested? ;-) It ran fine. Then about a week later it would not turn over. I heard some weird sound and then all it would do it make a short click sound...nothing else. And that is where I am today almost a year later on a boat that once started each year on the first attempt! I admit my winterizing was not a complete as it probably should have been. Ran carb fogger, 50/50 antifreeze till it shot out the exhaust, stabilize the fuel and changed the oil/filter. That worked for 17 years since my father owned it.

I want to investigate but I need more easy to try suggestions that gradually get harder.

How about a new crate engine?

Thanks

New Jersey
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 1:35pm
If you go with a new crate engine, make sure your bell housing will match up, motor mounts will match and raw water pump has a place to attach.
Tim D
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 2:17pm
First pull all the spark plugs and see if it will roll over with starter.If not try by hand and long cheater bar.If it won't turn probably best to start looking for replacement.

I would try to get closed cooling system if I ran in brackish water.

good luck Munday
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 2:49pm
i agree with Munday. If all you getting is a "click" i have to wonder if the starter is even engaging in the fisrt place, regardless, run some checks before you just assume the the motor is fried.

good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 3:22pm
pull all of the plugs and hit the starter if it turns over then it was hydro-locked and you have water in the cylinders and most likely a blown head gasket.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2006 at 10:29pm
I would be interested in hearing about what you discover is the extent of the problem....and I dont want to come across as an ambulance chaser, but Im interested in finding a project 81 Barefoot.
hasbeenskier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2006 at 9:29am
I am an admitted ambulance chaser when it comes to boats. So if its not on the west coast.... Anyway good suggestions on pulling the spark plugs and cranking over but I have been there before and those heads are going to have to come off one way or another. That water got in there somehow and the damage needs to be surveyed. My guess is 25 years with brackish water has taken its inevitable toll. Under a grand in parts is possible even if you need a new block but your going to need to be real handy with the steel if you know what I mean, and that assumes you have things like an engine lift, stand, torque wrench etc.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jlehrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlehrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2006 at 12:12pm
Hello Again,

I have received some very good advice. Thank you to all that replied. I didn't plan on getting offers along with advice, but it's nice to think the Barefoot Nautique can be enjoyed by someone else if not by me (I am only moderately mechanically skilled). She lives in New Jersey.

New Jersey
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2006 at 3:08pm
My two cents worth is: Do what you have to do, but do once and do it right regardless of cost.
I think 81 Barefoots SHARP.
Quote: Advise can be easy to give and hard to take.
hasbeenskier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:32am
Any progress on finding the problem?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic