Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top end

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
restored82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 11:38am
Hello Joe: So what sort of horsepower gain would be gained from adding the gt40 heads ,intake[performer] and roller rockers? The other question would be ,what impact such an addition would have on the velvet drive 1:1 transmission?Another question is would an H pipe in the exhaust net any benefit.? I always ran them in my exhaust systems in muscle car days with noticeable gains. How would the above modifications impact the ski ability of the boat?

I much appreciate your input and that of all others who spoke up.The you tube hot rod ski boat videos were sweet. Hearing a rumbling cam in a sweet SN rev up   and was awesome. It would be even cooler to see from an along side perspective. All ready located some heads online . Thanks again
Jus Fishin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 6:49pm
Brian,
I'm sure Joe or someone else will be by to answer regarding gains but I can answer the trans question. No problem with the Velvet. They are common on big blocks with lots more HP and will handle it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 7:01pm
No problem with the velvet but big blocks use the 72c/10-18 (small blocks use the 71c/10-17).

Figure 300ish with the aforementioned upgrades. Figure upper 40's in a 2001. You want gt40p heads, not gt40. The latter is fine but they have larger chambers and flow incrementally less.

This upgrade and the associated gains has been pretty well covered here. Feel free to search and bring yourself up to speed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 8:01pm
Thanks for the response and sharing your knowledge. Would the above mentioned changes run well on mid range or super fuel?Any idea as to the compression ratio adding the gt40p heads? Thanks Brian
Jus Fishin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 8:17pm
the top end is something that as stated above gets a little hairy with some hulls at speed. bearing in mind the costs per mph gained I would opt for the hole shot and time to get to 50 . nothing more fun than a zero to 50 run
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 9:22pm
P's net ~9.5:1, no problem with 89 octane.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:02am
Thanks again. The next question which comes to mind. Being that the combustion chambers are of a smaller size. Are the gt40p heads a direct bolt on or are there any clearance issues created between valves and pistons which could require machining?
Jus Fishin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:45am
They are direct bolt on but you must have the head bolt thru holes drilled out for 1/2" . The heads were used on 5.0 Explorers and Mountaineers and 5.0's used 7/16" head bolts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 11:05am
Nice thank you
Jus Fishin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 11:31am
Brian, post some pics of your boat if you get a chance, would like to see it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 7:04pm
Do a site search for GT40P and you will find two companies that the CCFan guys use. I believe that one is Clearwater Cylinder Head in Florida. I think I got that right and there was one more. These two companies can provide you a rebuild product at a good price. The heads have been checked for cracks and have had new valves and springs installed. Someone will chime in a tell the other one or correct me on both. I believe both are in Florida.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 8:02pm
I just finished investigating GT40P heads for my engine. I found that tri-state cylinder head is able to provide rebuilt GT40P cylinder heads complete with springs and a 3 angle valve job, good for .550 lift for $598.00 + shipping, usually around $50 for the pair. They will also build them for your specific needs depending on the cam and rocker style you want and they usually ship in about 3 days from receiving payment . Talk to Sean about your needs.
812-421-0095 1712 Read Street Evansville, IN 47710
A lot of people seem to be satisfied with their products and they seem very knowledgeable. They are also a Flotec dealer and build a lot of Ford heads.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 7:56pm
Thank John and Donald for the above information.Much appreciated
Jus Fishin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 8:23pm
Yes, Tri-State was the other name that I could not remember.

Thanks John.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 6:26pm
Hi John : Thanks again for your help. Would you consider Tri state version with the 202 intakes and 60 cc combustion chamber the best choice. Seems to me 620 is a good price for these heads. Thanks so much for sharing
Jus Fishin
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 6:36pm
I am not qualified to answer that question. I am only listed as a Grand Poobah because of the number of questions I have asked of others on the site. I am not an expert by any stretch of the definition.
I have read that some believe that the 2.02 valves breathe a bit better, but reduce the charge velocity a bit at low rpm resulting in a slight loss of torque at the low end. I haven't seen any data to support this, but it does not seem beyond the realm of possibility. Someone more qualified may chime in or you could consult with Sean at Tristate since they have much experience with these heads.
Cheers

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 6:41pm
I suspect it's all goodness for our boats, John. Pretty hard to hurt low end power with all the prop slip we get. We're finding that big cams and single plane intakes work just fine. Slightly larger valves won't be noticed (in a bad way)!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 7:11pm
Being that both versions of these heads are readily available which is considered the better choice. I have asked this before does an H pipe benefit marine applications. Has anyone tried using one and could they share any results.
Jus Fishin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 8:44pm
Just so you know they are not 2.02's,but not that that makes any difference. Here are some spec's I had found a few years ago on a number of different Ford heads. As to a H pipe,kind of difficult to put one in a boat with the stringers in the way certainly can't work around them easily. The exhaust is already 3" per side and shorter than a car anyway and might not cool being enclosed and minimal water flow. I feel that you think you are going get huge gains with what your planning but in reality it will be minimal in these design of boats. With one person on board, my 69 16 ft Mustang while accelerating great,will top out the same as my stock 95 21 ft Super Sport

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 9:20pm
The GT40P heads are available with 2.02 or 1.90s. The 2.02s require machining the combustion chambers for clearance and flow. The car guys believe the 2.02 are a waste of money because the heads are not capable of flowing the volume the valves will handle. A company called Powerheadd will do the conversion and I believe Tristate will as well. As far as cars it is far better to order a pair of AFR 165s than to waste your money on 1970s iron unless you want to squeak out a few more hp while scoring points for originality at the car show.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic