Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine cutting out speeds 16 - 22 Mph

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Traveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine cutting out speeds 16 - 22 Mph
    Posted: May-21-2006 at 11:50am
My boat is a 1998 Pro Air with an 5.7L PCM Apex engine. In the past week while pulling wakeboarders and kneeboarders running between 2100 and 2400 RPM's the engine is cutting out. The engine does not stall but it feels like it is going to die. If I give it more throttle I can recover and keep going. It won't happen again for some time.

The only time I have ever experienced it is with a load. It idles great, it is easy to start and it runs great at lower and higher speeds without a load.

I purchased this boat last September and have just starting using it on a regualar basis. I have not yet changed the fuel filter and that is the first thing I plan to do.

I thought it might have some water in the Fuel Control Cell so I pull the drain plug and drained it into a cup. I poured the cup over a piece of cardboard looking for signs of water and saw very little if any.

Like I said I plan on changing the fuel filter first but I thought I would try and draw from others experience if possible.

Any help or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Traveller
Victoria, Tx
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2006 at 12:23pm
do a complete tune up, that way you know everything is good.
25XS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25XS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 9:57pm
Check your water seperating fuel filter... Kinda sounds like you might have a bit of water sloshing around in the bottom of your fuel tank and at those speeds, that bit of water is definitely concentrated in the back of the gas tank where the pickup tube is located. An engine needing a tuneup would probably always be acting up, opposed to an intermittent problem like you are experiencing.
Tom
N.Georgia
"Stock Stuff" by day... Racing Mercury outboards on the weekends.
1991 Nautique Excel "thousands" of hours...
Traveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 11:35am
Thanks for the replies. I talked to Richard at DIM and he said he would start with the fuel filter. He said the fuel filter on these boats filters down to the micron so it is very likely that the fuel filter is plugged somewhat causing it to sputter when under a load. It arrived today and I will install this weekend.

I have my fingers crossed that this fixes the problem. I just sold a 1984 Supra that had a similiar problem. When it started cutting out the other day I thought what is the deal with me and fuel problems. I finally solved my Supra problem hopefully the fuel filter will solve this problem.

My experience has been though it never is that simple.

Again thanks for your replies keep them coming. I love to read on this board I gain so much knowledge and the ability to troubleshoot on the fly by learning from all your experiences.
Traveller
Victoria, Tx
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 12:41am
Hey sometimes it is that simple! Hope so!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Traveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 11:12am
I got the fuel filter installed on Sunday and took it out for a spin. Ran good no real issues but I did not pull anyone either.

I did have some issues while installing the fuel filter which may or may not be related to my problem. Let me run this by you all and see if you can give me some insight.

I changed the fuel filter element and replaced the o-ring that seals the canister. While attempting to remove the old o-ring I accidently pulled off 1 of the wires for the high pressure fuel pump. No big deal relly pushed it back on the quick connect. I followed the instructions and cycled the key several times filling up the Fuel Control Cell. I put the boat in the water and it did would not fire. So I thought I might not have put the wire for the high pressure fuel pump back on good. So I pulled the plug on the bottom of the Fuel Control Cell to drain the fuel and very little fuel came out.

I went ahead and pulled pull the FCC apart and checked everything and it all seemed to be fine. I put the put the hose from the low pressure fuel pump in a glass and turned the key and fuel poured into the cup. So I knew I had fuel coming from the low pressure pump.

My question is this do you think it is possible that low pressure fuel pump is sticking or something from time to time and allowing the fuel control cell to get low on fuel?

The other thing that I thought might have caused the problem with no fuel in the cell was a vapor lock issue. After I got the FCC all back together the 1st time I did not bleed the air. Not sure if that is necessary but I did it on the second go round and it worked that time.

Also I did experience 1 cut out on Monday not while pulling but with the boat loaded down with people.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Thanks,
Traveller
Victoria, Tx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic