NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Tique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2015 at 11:48pm
If you can't get any of the stringers out in any form that can be traced, don't worry. The rough stringers are set in place and scribed to the hull. Get as many measurements on the stringers now. Most important now are heights however. the floor to the hull sides is a good reference too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2015 at 2:39pm
8122pbrainard - thanks for the advice. I left a 1 inch reference point where the floor meets the hull, but would not have thought to measure stringer height at this stage. Will definitely do so - makes sense.
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 1:12am
FINALLY found time to spend the week in the barn working on the boat. Majority of the time was spent mining the old foam from the various cavities - man was it wet! CC really made sure that no matter what - their boats would not sink!   There were 6-7 full trash bags of old foam when all was said and done. Pictures below for the group.

The MVP tool list was:

Hammer (claw-end)
Hand Trowel (for gardening)
Large Crow-bar (for sliding, not prying)
Shop Vac
Electric Oscillating Tool

I also decided to cut open the floor in the bow of the boat. I admittedly had no clue what was in there, but didn't want to risk leaving any wet foam behind. I also was unsure where the main stringers ended, and need to take measurements. It was fun to cut the floor piece out, and even more fun to mine the holy grail of foam underneath!

I have a few questions for the group - will post later this week.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 1:23am
Great job looking better already. Pulled the foam out of mine in the 80's with the exception of the oscillating tool nothing much has changed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mykuz2win View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykuz2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 10:37pm
OK now for the a few thoughts:

Stringer Wood Type

I've done plenty of searching on this via CCF and have seen at least 3 different types of wood used for stringer replacement. 1) Douglas Fir   2) White Oak 3) Marine Grade Ply (usually two 3/4" pieces glued together)

I've decided on White Oak as I feel that it's the strongest and most durable. There is also the factor of availability - and Homestead Hardwoods in Vickery, Ohio has the wood I need to get this done.

I've taken almost all of the measurements of the current stringers - except one. Something I cannot quite understand happened. I wanted to use the string method to measure the height of the stingers as originally set by CC, after I scooped the foam out and let everything dry for a day - I noticed that my 1" original floor reference was either exactly level or slightly lower than the top of the stringers. I do not understand how this can happen as when I was cutting the floor out around the perimeter of the hull I did not notice any pressure relieved by the floor being cut out.

Could this be due to the fact that the motor and all wet foam are finally out of the boat, and possibly because the boat is finally dry? Anyone have any suggestions as to how to measure the height of the stringers using the floor reference point?

My dad suggested I jack up four point of the boat off of the trailer and wooden stands so that the string measurement method can be used. Might do that.
SkiNautique4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 12:43pm
Looks great.
Patrick Carlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic