NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Chair - Hydrofoil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Chair - Hydrofoil
    Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:18pm
Picked upthis "rbm" Air Chair on Craigslist, after losing one sold here. About 12 trys got me up for about 5 feet!! "Quinner" offerred, with a new post, to reveal the secrets. Adam claims Butt forward? I was told back with thighs on seat? I will appreciate any advice, and hope to master by SJRR!!
Js
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:21pm
Butt must NOT be hanging off seat!!!! Bad, Bad....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:39pm
The whole "lean back" thing isn't really good for any water sport. Sure, some do it and it works for them but generally it is a bad habit/concept. It really is just a defensive position from a fear of going out the front. We would rent one once per summer and everyone would give it a try. What worked the best for most of us was to lean forward on the start with the handle low. After you're up you'll very quickly find out what works and what doesn't!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:44pm
Tailbone even with the back of the seat, sit up straight handle on the knees elbows locked. Don't let the boat pull you forward, ideally the handle on the knees will push the board on to the top of the water as you come up. If you have a slalom trainer rope it helps some people, tower or extended pylon is a huge help as well, keep you're eyes looking at the tow point. Biggest thing is to relax, be still and let the boat do the work, it's completely different, but very easy to get up once you've done it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:46pm
Start with a safety tip, getting caught up in the rope can be an issue, if you have some type of release use it otherwise be sure your driver/observer is aware and paying attention when falls occur. Only use in deep water for obvious reasons and avoid weeds, the foil can get entangled in weeds and literally be drawn deeper by them, not cool when you are strapped in tight. Always strap in fully and securely.

When learning/teaching slow down, only bring your speed up as the rider gets more comfortable/stable. start by going just fast enough so the board is directly on the surface.

Whenever making body adjustments do it very slowly, the slightest change can and will effect your altitude.

Use the height of the handle to adjust altitude, the higher the handle the lower you will ride, lower will make you higher. You can also push down with your feet to slow down sudden ascents.

Lot's more to add but that should get you started and riding.

They are an absolute blast, don't require a wake for jumping and run smooth over the chop.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:50pm
The picture just popped up, get something to hold you feet in, without heel straps that the will fly off and then you've got an ax chasing you.

If you want PM me and I'll see what I've got in the box of spare parts.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Biggest thing is to relax, be still and let the boat do the work, it's completely different, but very easy to get up once you've done it.

+1

It took me well over 50 tries to get on top of it because I would try (subconsciously) to make adjustments when the boat started. Angle my body, guide my position with the rope, trying to come upright too quickly...all bad.

And if you are trying to make those adjustments and flailing around in the water attached to this thing, it gets real frustrating real fast.

If you were way off the back with your thighs on the seat, you probalby started to get up, but then the whole thing would lunge up and down, then side to side, then over? Get directly over the stand like Don said and that goes away.

This might not work for everybody, but I didn't get up until I got totally frustrated following what I now know was good advice, and decided, I'm just going to ski on this d@mn thing and rode it up. Tip of the board high in the air, straight arms, almost pushing the rope to keep them straight and level (if that makes any sense), and let the board balance itself side to side. It wants to follow the boat, even if you think you're a little sideways (emphasis on little), don't fight it, just ride it up.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Always strap in fully and securely.

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

The picture just popped up, get something to hold you feet in, without heel straps that the will fly off and then you've got an ax chasing you.

Notice how that just came up twice? Get your butt positioned and then winch that lap belt down as far as it goes...losing a ski in a fall is no big deal, there's a sword on the bottom of that thing. Ankle/heel wraps are a MUST.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 3:05pm
Definitely not the expert here, but how about speed? I'm pretty sure I'm comfortable around 22 (having a good driver makes you take these things for granted), but I think CQ is right on with the slow and steady comments. Nice easy pickup, and I would say probably somewhere in the 17-19 range to build confidence and stability. Chris, Don, way off?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 3:27pm
Keys for beginners:
Butt flush with back of seat, elbows locked straight, still upper body.

There are a ton of "How to" videos from Sky Ski and Air Chair on the web - look them up and PRACTICE..... BTW, No sudden movements and no one gets hurt.......... !
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Definitely not the expert here, but how about speed? I'm pretty sure I'm comfortable around 22 (having a good driver makes you take these things for granted), but I think CQ is right on with the slow and steady comments. Nice easy pickup, and I would say probably somewhere in the 17-19 range to build confidence and stability. Chris, Don, way off?

Adam, I don't think you were ever over 18.x while I was driving you, you can ride the thing pretty darn slow.   I think I am probably a bit conservative on speed, I tend to take it away from the rider a whole lot quicker than I give it to them. For that matter a steady pull up to speed helps a lot, if you overshoot you cannot pull back quickly without taking the riders line tension away from them, and that will often cause them to "lean back" and jump out of the water.

Not much I can add here except to reinforce the idea that your back should be even with the back of the seat. The Foil will rotate around an axis that runs through the vertical bar, that axis should go through the middle of your torso, as that is where you rotate around. IF these two axis dont align you will not be able to choose which direction you are going in, (and your weight will be way too far back).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 4:35pm
Not to totally hijack but if anyone comes across a pair of hydrofoil SKIS for sale please let me know.

Don probably know who these people are. Looks like Kid Rock to me. "Jake" and "Deb"??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:15pm
Everyone should know Jake, he's the only person that makes a living with a hydrofoil.   

Start slow, better to learn to turn it first than to fly it. Somewhere between 10 and 15 the board should ride on the surface, but the wings won't fly, point your knees the direction you want to go and learn to turn between the wakes. Once your comfortable with that then you can bump up the speed and fly.

Probably not what people around here want to hear, but we've had the hardest time teaching slalom skiers. They want to fight the rope and it won't work, there is nothing about it that requires strength until you get into the inverts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:29pm
Who is that in the second pic? Looks familiar.

I believe those skis could probably be made if you can't find them anywhere...and that looks like a he11 of a good time.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:48pm
Brian Whitfield - Decatur, IL - 1973 Ski Nautique (fuel injected Chrysler)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:41pm
Do they make a Tubing Foil ? More my speed.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:16pm
Puttin On The Foil!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 4:46pm
The Hansons! Haha, putting on the foil!!
Js
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2013 at 10:42am
Went out yesterday, 86 degrees! What a day. Got up on the Air Chair, briefly, I think this is going to take some practice! How do I upload a video? I am not afraid to embarrass myself for your entertainment! Sure had my girls laughing!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic