Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Guide Poles

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skiertom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiertom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Guide Poles
    Posted: March-15-2006 at 9:20pm
I have a 1990 Ski Nautique trailer with guide poles that run straight up from the trailer deck. Newer trailers all seem to have guide poles with a bend in them - I think to keep the lower hull from hitting the pole when the stern is floating off the bunks. Does anybody out there know if there's a retro-fit pole available, or do I need to go find a welder and make new ones?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2006 at 11:12pm
Tom,

Can you post a pic of what you've got so we can visualize and suggest a fix? BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2006 at 5:38am
It depends upon the trailer and the mounting point of the poles.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2006 at 12:25am
Are you looking for this type ?

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 9:46am
Question for you all. I spoke to some CC dealerships and they no longer stock the 80's style rubber that fits over the guides. Does anyone know where I would start looking for this rubber cover? Like the ski mirror, sometimes parts are multi purpose. I bought replacement guides from Mid-West CC and they look like hose for your dryer. I do have Nautique-logo-guides but they don't cover the entire pole.

Thanks!

Ken
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 12:08pm
The regular nautique guide pads work fine.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 12:17pm
Ken I got some of that "dryer hose" style of rubber hose from Woody at SECC. I think it looks more like landscape tubing but boy is that stuff tuff. He sent it as one piece with 2 end caps and I had to cut to fit. I like it. COuld mine be different than yours?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 12:55pm
I agree, the dryer hose style is strong. It was one piece of hose sent with two end caps. I lost the caps almost immediately. The water pushed the guides up and the caps fell off and sank. I got some nice Nautique guide covers that cover about 3/4 of the guides. My goal is to keep everything as original as possible, even something as simple as the guide covers. I'll keep looking.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 8:14am
Ya gotta slap a bunch of silicon those bad boys on and "getem guentight"!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2006 at 11:24pm
Ive also been thinking about getting a set of guides bent for my trailer.

Anyone know what is the dia of the steel tubing used ? ..looks like about 1 1/2"?

I know of a guy that builds stock car frames and can mandrel bend tubing...Was going to ask him if he could do this?   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
shilohnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shilohnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 11:50pm
once you get the poles bent put some pvc flex pipe over the poles to keep from damaging the boat
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2006 at 1:31am
you could take some pipe down to your local muffler shop and probably get it bent there .Most shops have hidraulic benders that can bend almost any pipe up to 3 inches

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
klinger_2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinger_2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 2:25am
Pipe benders and exhaust benders usually dont cross, meaning you cant bend pipe with an exhaust bender. Exhaust and pipe sizes aren't measured the same, so the pieces used to bend them wont be the right size either, so it usually wont work...
Sky up, water down, or complete the rotation!!

-1985 Ski Natique 2001
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 2:15pm
I had my trailer guides made at the exhaust shop. I just asked them to bend a stick of their aluminized exhaust pipe 180 degrees. They charged me $10. Then I took my "exhaust pipe" home, cut it in half and slipped a piece of PVC pipe over it and slipped a guide pad over that. It worked out great:

current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jefmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 5:41pm
I'm curious because I need to fabricate new guide poles... how did you attach the poles to the trailer? Do you mind posting a pic?
Ski Nautique 2001
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 11:23pm
I cut a piece of 2" x 4" tube steel 4" long and I welded the pipe onto the tube steel. Then, I drilled four holes to bolt the tube steel to the trailer frame. I figured if I use bolts, then if I ever need to straighten my guides, I can shim my mount with washers. Here's a pic:

current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 11:24pm
Also, be sure to leave a drain hole at the bottom of your weld.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 9:39pm
I have a 1997 196. On the trailer, the boat sits low so the sides of the boat are between the mud guards with the boat's bottom below their tops. Due to sharp angle of the ramp I use, it is easy for the boat to settle onto the tops of the mudguards as I pull the boat out. The trailer guides are not close enough together to keep the boat where it belongs. I am thinking about having them reshaped so they are closer together. Any suggestions comments before I start down this road?
'97 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 9:55pm
The idea of the guides is to alight the boat with the trailer, but they shouldnt hold the boat tight.

Why dont you just pull the boat out slowly and keep it centered between the guides?
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 7:38am
My plan would not be to hold the boat tight, but to narrow the guides to keep it from drifting over the fenders. My guestimate that there is about 2 inches of play on each side.

Easier said than done. This would require one of my young sons to either drive the van or guide the boat. The last time I pulled the boat, it required me to stand in the water (easier in July than in April) and reset the boat a number of times since it shifted on the way out. I am less concerned about my pulling the boat than the times someone else needs to do it.
'97 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 8:09am
Ahh, if youre loading by yourself I can see where that can be tricky. If you have someone to help, they dont even need to drive the boat- once its hooked up, just have them keep the rear 2" from the guidepost as you pull it out of the water.

I wouldnt try and move the posts too much closer- 2" isnt a lot of room to begin with, and the widest part of your boat (just aft of the windshield) still has to pass through them. Notice how Jameski has a lot more room between his guides above.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 10:35pm
My boat will load on to a fender also,so I never give it a chance to.I make sure and leave a little fender showing when I back in my trailer.It takes a cit more throttle but she doesn't float off either

Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic