Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1994 sn 196 pro boss running terrible

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1994nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 sn 196 pro boss running terrible
    Posted: July-04-2013 at 1:51am
Finally got the boat out...... 1994 sn 196 pro boss efi 136 hrs.... Started up good on the trailer idled good, put it in the water and I could tell it was running rough. Gave it some gas and it started sputtering and missing couldn't get it plained out...... It acted like it was running on half the cylinders.... Finally I got it to plain out and it took off like it always does. So I stopped did a hole shot and it did fine. Got up to cruising speed and it started acting up again this time it totally died. It did this a couple more times And I limped it to the dock.. I'm thinking electrical? Bad coil pack? Not a good start to summer......any help would be great! Thanks!
daniel1978 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 11:01am
Hello! Carbonator? Check floats...
1995 Ski Nautique with great slanted ass.
NEW: now with running engine - hurray hurray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 11:51am
I have the throttle body efi on it I have ruled out spark plugs because it will run on all cylinders then like a flip of a switch it will run like it is on 4 or 6 cylinders.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 12:04pm
Hmmm... Whats a "Carbonator"? As far as I know in the first post he said efi, means no floats... lol

This is one reason why im glad I dont have efi, its hard to start trouble shooting and diagnosing. Sorry, cant help.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 12:25pm
Since English is not his first language,I think he did pretty well. I have no idea what carburator is in German
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 11:56am
Protec Engine, right?

There's the Protec itself.

But, ECU temp switch or ECU Oil Pressuure switch could be bad sending it into SLOW mode. I'm not sure if you hard ground the switch wires or open them to take the switches out of the loop for testing...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 3:39pm
The protec itself, are you talking about the main box. Behind the coil packs?   Is the temp switch on the motor?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 1:16am
Not totally sure were the temp switch is but most likely on the intake manifold somewhere. By Protec Itself, I'm sort of referring to when a non replaceable part gives up the ghost. Coil pacs, ECU etc. they sell a retrofit kit on Skidim that allows you to go with a traditional distributor. If you have the TBI injection, you'd need a carburetor kit also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 2:48am
Thanks I've been doing a little reading and have noticed quite a few people have done that. I found both switches (oil and heat) the oil switch post was a little loose, they seemed to operate properly I started it up on the trailor and it ran good let it warm up and no issues, gonna take it out tomarrow and see if it acts up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic