Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive rebuid finished

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive rebuid finished
    Posted: December-14-2005 at 2:37pm
I finally finished up the rebuild of my trans. It quit on me back in August and what with work, hurricanes and kids back to school it was one of those fill in jobs. Today I finished up all the plumbing and fired it up. Shifts F/R and no leaks. Now all I have to do is get enough time to put it back in the water.
Here is a link to some pics. I used the manual in the reference section but the pics left a lot to be desired.

Trans pics
Bob Ed
83 2001
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 7:12am
lOOKS LIKE YOU CLEANED THAT BILGE WITH A TOOTHBRUSH (CLEAN). I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT DASH PLATE WHEN FINISHED.
Scott
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 8:18am
I admire your handiwork and talent; but you may find the dash was painted flat black by design.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 10:15am
Bilge was cleaned with "Purple Power" and a brush. I may have to wear dark glasses but we are going to try the dash plate. When my kid puts forth that kind of effort it's gonna be tried out.
Bob Ed
83 2001
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Bob's2001 Bob's2001 wrote:

Bilge was cleaned with "Purple Power" and a brush. I may have to wear dark glasses but we are going to try the dash plate. When my kid puts forth that kind of effort it's gonna be tried out.

Take pictures! every design can be improved, modified or customized to suit..wear the sunglasses. you'll be cool and custom
Scott
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 1:48pm
How did your son make that dash plate? Its gorgeous! Did he do the machining himself?

Id be interested in some smaller pieces for the dash on my 90, to replace the pieces the circuit breakers mount to. Let me know if he's up for any more work- I could provide a good template drawing.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 2:07pm
Was there a plate on the dash already? Didn't it come from the factory without a plate? Seems like it would have been a lot easier to repaint it. I mean the one area is going to look nice but won't the other area's not covered by the plate still look the same and need a coat of paint?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2005 at 9:00pm
My compliments to your son. Nice job! Congrats on havin' the guts to take on the tranny. I never would have....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2005 at 5:24am
Bob nice work! Having a project that gets the kids involved always has more meaning.

Jared did a great job on the dash panel! I like the engraving at the top, nice touch!

Look forward to seeing the finished pics. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2005 at 12:53pm
Take pictures! every design can be improved, modified or customized to suit..wear the sunglasses. you'll be cool and custom [/QUOTE]

I'm always cool.
Thanks for the compliments.
79, the dash came without a plate, but we thought it would be a cool custom touch. The rest of the dash will get new paint.
TRB, The plate was laser cut and etched with the logo with help from a machinst Jared worked with.
jbear, it wasn't as hard as you might think doing the trans. The worst part was thinking about doing it. I probably had about 10-12 actual work hours and at least 2 were due to "senior moments".
Bob Ed
83 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2005 at 2:36pm
Bob,

Your dash looks great. Ive found it difficult to find a machine shop willing to do one-of custom pieces like that at a reasonable price (I dont know anyone with a laser cutter). If your son would be interested in making some smaller pieces for my dash, let me know! I can provide templates, either scanned, pdf, autoCAD, whatever!

-Tim
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 2:10pm
Jared made that dash when he was on a Co-op job in college. He just graduated from TAMU last Friday, so his laser access has gone away.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic