Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flexible shaft couplers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexible shaft couplers
    Posted: November-28-2005 at 10:09am
Does anybody use these flex shaft couplers?
http://www.flexible-coupling.com/r-and-d-flexible-shaft-coupling.html

It's like a flexable cushion between the tranny and the shaft to protect the drive line and reduce vibrations.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 1:43pm
I have seen those type used in larger offshore boats, Never seen one fail. I like the idea... Not so sure it would prevent any damage to wheel or trans, but for sure reduce vibration.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 1:45pm
Oh ya... and I already use that type of engine insulated mounts
NO LONGER A MEMBER
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 2:28pm
I have them on my twin engine boat, they give you just a little leway on your driveline adj.

I did order one for our CC.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 3:02pm
If you use one of these, then don't you need to shorten the shaft length to prevent shaft flex aft of the strut? And if you don't shorten it, wouldn't you be interducing more vibartion because the prop is further away from the strut?
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 5:06pm
All good thoughts, I used them on my twin engine cabin cruiser, mainly because of the difficulty in getting down below deck to check and adjust the motor mounts, they state it gives you a little leeway of the .003 difference in coupler mating..

I don't know if the shaft is original in my CC as far as distance from strut to prop goes, it looks like about 3" with the couplers apart 1/2" and I think the drive saver is around 1/2" thick so what's acceptable, anybody know?

The reason for all this is I changed out the rusty motor/tranny mounts last week and I know of the .003 rule but the whole thing was no walk in the park to do, I guess I'm wussing out a little here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic