Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" ’85 Nautique, some questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chavonbravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" ’85 Nautique, some questions
    Posted: November-22-2005 at 1:24pm
Hello all. First off great forum, and great boats! I just moved up from an outboard '89 Bayliner to a '85 SN2001, and WOOOW, what a difference. I'm so happy with the boat, I can't even begin to explain. It looks great, runs great, and got a HELL of a deal on it for only $4000. But I just have a few questions that I'm sure people that have had these boats a lot longer than I have can answer. First question is that when I engage the transmission in reverse, everything is fine, and there is no slipping at all, since I look at the shaft and it accelerates along with the engine. But it doesn't manuever well at all in reverse. Of course I know boats aren't meant to be driven in reverse, but my Bayliner could be steered a little better and accelerated a little better in reverse. Is it normal to not be able to steer in reverse? And when I accelerate in reverse it gets to a certain speed, and even if I accelerate more, boat still reverses at the same speed. Is this also normal?
Okay long first question. Now for the second one. I want to put an extended pylon and to do so need to remove stock ski ring on top. The pins can't be punched out at all, I've tried WD40 overnights and punching pins and tons of sweating, but to no avail. I don't want to destroy the stock ski ring, so is it possible to just drill through the existing holes with a drill bit just a slight bit larger than what the hole already is and then unscrew the ring off? Or would this not work?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 1:36pm
Chavon, congratulations, and welcome.

First question. Backing up is one of the most noticable items when moving from an outboard or i/o to an inboard. It is normal that an inboard does not back up well because unlike and outboard, or I/O, the prop does not change direction when your turn the steering wheel. It is also normal that the boat has limited speed when backing up. The whole thing just takes a little practice. When you put the boat in reverse, you should notice that the back end of the boat naturally pulls to the left. You can use this to your advantage when docking. You should also notice that the boat will turn more sharply if you pull it into neutral when you have a bit of momentum up. To turn the boat in a circle, you alternate between forward, neutral, reverse, neutral, etc. With a little practice, you can turn on a dime, in either direction (though the boat will be easiest to turn in a clockwise direction)

Second question: Flite-pipe makes a pylon which clamps on without removing the ring. Otherwise, you will need to remove it. There have been several post on this site about removing the ring. Do a search. As I understand it, the pins can be knocked or drilled out, but check the posts. I know this has been discussed. Then, you will probably need to use a pry bar to twist the ring out of the post.

Good luck and enjoy.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 1:48pm
Thanks bkhallpass. That makes sense about the prop not moving, hence the less mobility. Should have thought of that. Glad to know then that nothing's wrong with my boat. :) As for the pylon, yeah, I've searched a bit, and didn't find any info on people drilling into the holes. I just basically wanted to know if there was something on the ski ring in the threaded area that I can't see that might possibly get ruined if I drilled a little into it and then wouldn't be able to unscrew it out. Anyways, I'll be trying that tonight and I'll see how it goes.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 10:43pm
I need to see a picture at 4G's you got a great deal if it is in any kind of shape at all.
I made a pylon for my boat and completely removed the old pylon. It wasnt hard at all I found a piece of steel pipe (same size as pylon) welded a screw in the bottom to fit into the little ring, welded a nut and trailer hitch ball on the top, and an piece of chain link onto the side of the pipe to connect a cable which i connected to the front eye with a turnbuckle to tighten.
The pylon is easy to take in and out. There are 4 bolts under the engine cover that you have to loosen. I would say it took 2 hours to build and 5 minutes to take out or put in.
Good luck enjoy your boat.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 9:27am
I'm sure your setup works great Jon. But, I think that most guys are dealing with storing the boats in an 8 foot garage opening, and so it might be kind of cumbersome to deal with a fixed high pole. Add on some boardracks, and it would be more of a chore. It's pretty nice just to be able to slip the high pole off for storage.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 10:31am
It takes me all of 2 tools and about 2 minutes to unscrew 4 bolts, unhook the cable, then pull it out and lay it down on the floor on a couple of old lifejackets. It is kinda awdward but cant weigh more than 30lbs.
I dont have any board racks and that would make it more awkward to move around but that is going to make a slip over one more awkward as well. I am planning on making a tower this winter and I saw no reason to spend money on a fly high pole. I had the pipe laying around and made mine for less than $30.00.

I actually store mine in an 7ft garage door.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 11:16am
I hear you Jon. In the end most answers are dictated by money and time.

Most of the commercial high poles break in half, which makes it a little easier. Still, it is pretty much a PITA, either way.

You'll love a tower. Really gets things out of the way in the boat. I'll be interested to see what you make, and if you're able to craft one that will fold down for your seven foot garage.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 12:47pm
Yea that is going to be the challenge. I think I might have to make a Flight Controll Type where I can completely remove the top to store it. Basically I would make a FCT and where yours pivots I would make it a screw that I can remove. Making it so it will still pivot if I need to. That is my idea right now. If you have a better one I am open to suggestions.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 1:26pm
Jon,

Don't know your skills or what you do for a living. But, unless you have some pretty good skills, and some sophisticated machining, tools, that sounds kinda hard to me.

For fabrication, it seems to me it would be easier to build a rigid cage, with a 4 pin setup at the base. Just remove the pins, and pull the hole cage when garaging, and pull only the front two pins when swinging away. ICBW. Just seems that putting the swivel mid cage might be the hard part.

Do think its great to make it look like an FCT. There was another guy on here at the beginning of the summer who did so. Looked pretty good. I think his name was John, and I remember for sure he was from Kansas. He posted a lot of pics. Maybe you could do a search.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 2:11pm
I can do my share of fabrication. I am not worried about that my only concern is that I do not have the tools to do it in aluminum so I will have to do it is steel and powdercoat it.
Your idea is perfect except for how it looks. That would be the easiest way to do it but I really want something that looks like a FCT.
I am Jon from Kansas. I have been talking about building a tower for a while now but I wouldnt have any pictures since I havent done it.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2005 at 4:43pm
I drilled the holes out and had no problems. I had quite a bit of WD40 on it from when I tried to punch pins out, so the ring was pretty easy to take out. Maybe it would have come out easy anyways, who knows. As for getting the boat for only 4 G's, yeah man...I can't believe I got such a deal. He originally wanted 5000, but when he took me out for the test drive, it overheated and also blew a hole on a rubber exhaust pipe. and we had to row back to shore. I offered him 1000 less and he took it, saying he'd probably have to spend like 700 at a mechanic. It only took me $75 in parts and 20 minutes to fix and get it running great. :) The trailer that comes with it is a nice 3 year old tandem trailer. And the boat has a closed cooling system too. And the gelcoat looks great. Interior is above average too. Only thing I'd change is the instruments, as they all work great, but seem a little faded. Is it possible to just remove the outer glass from instruments and restore the instruments? It'd be cool to keep it stock looking. I'll post pics soon.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2005 at 8:44am
Congrats. Good for you. I am sure you will enjoy the boat and glad you were able to get the ring out. check out "the2001.com" It is a site dedicated to these boats.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2005 at 9:13am
All manuvering can be accomplished with intermittant stabs of gear.

If the rear isn't going in the direction you desire, 'kick' it with a stab of forward gear (no throttle) with the rudder at full lock. Hold the gear until speed is 0. Then wait as the rearend sways in the direction you kicked it... Going to reverse too quickly will negate the drift and manuverability.
Then reverse at idle. Any throttle, the torque will overcome the rudder's effectiveness. the rudder become mildly effective when reversing if you have some momentum, but you have to take it out of gear and let it drift; its not a total solution, hence the 0-speed kick.

The biggest problem people have is leaving it in gear and overreacting with the controls. Little 1/2 turn steering inputs with kicks of gear enhance manuverability if you give the boat time to react between inputs. The boat steers better when speeds are kept low, else you have to overcome the boats desire to flow straight through the water. It also keeps idle speeds low so any mishap has little consequence. Leaving it in gear can punch the dock though the hull. "The boat is smarter then you are" is good advice for new drivers.

If you got a bunch of lardasses fat sacks in the back, manuverability is compromised because the boat pivots around the center and the added mass at the ends needs significantly more diligence and patience to appear like you know what your doing.
good luck!

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:06pm
Here's a few pics of my recently acquired boat. And not so recently acquired wife on it...I'm convinced I got the deal of the century with it (the boat, not the wife) for only $4000 since the trailer it came with is awesome and the boat has run like a top since I've changed the impeller and exhaust hose. Only thing I'm concerned with is that when full throttle, the engine won't go over 3000 RPM and tops at 43 MPH. It has around 1100 hours and was a salt water engine, but it's always had the closed cooling system. Other than that it's great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:17pm
Now that I read my post over and after I've read other people's problems with top end, 43 MPH at 3000 RPM seems a little strange. Either my Airguide Speedo is off, or my Teleflex Tach is off. I know these tachs tend to have settings for 4,6,8 cylinder engines, could it be on the wrong one? Or does my speedo just need tuning.
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:29pm
I think the tach is of, maybe on the 6 cylinder setting? 43 mph seems right to me, but uo till now I've been an I/O guy!
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:32pm
I bet you're doing more than 3000 rpms. Hey 43 is fast enough, unless you're barefooting and have very small feet, it's a tugboat, not a speed boat. What pitch is your prop? Do you live in SC? Nice boat, I can't believe you got it for $4000, what a deal. Whoever owned it took excellent care of it. I don't think you would have any trouble getting rid of the boat or your wife.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 4:34pm
Hey Chavon,

She looks great! The boat is nice too

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 5:13pm
Guy walks into a bar and says to his buddie " I got a boat for my wife, second guy says GOOD TRADE"

Just Kidding, they both look great. Best of luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 6:17pm
Thanx on the boat, and wife too, lol. And no, I'm not in South Carolina. That's where I bought the boat, still haven't registered it yet in Orlando, FL, where I'm at, and still wakeboarding in beautiful 77 degrees when those pics were taken. I'll get around to registering her sooner or later. Being that it's winter, cops aren't gonna be hanging out in the lakes like in the summer. And I'm gonna check to see on the back of the tach if it's on the right setting.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 7:22pm
Chav; Boy do you have great taste. And you did ok on the boat, too. I know just what you mean about using it still. I am in Lake Wales (about 45 min west of you) and my '80 is still being used. Guys like us and BKH have it made. Great boats, great weather and good lookin' ski partners. Your top speed, 43, isn't to bad depending on your prop. RPM's on the tach may not be right. Get a friend with a handheld GPS to clock ya. Send me a e-mail if ya wanna get together for a ski or a cold one. We'll make all those Northern guys jealous.....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic