NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tuna Towers - egad

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuna Towers - egad
    Posted: October-30-2005 at 5:18am
This place is dead this weekend...

Well, its no secret I'm no fan of the rarely utilized big-wake tuna-towers, but its their fun, everyone else's crappy water..

But I thought even their fans would gasp if they saw a print ad i viewed in NH for a marina near Ossipee, they have some brand of pontoon boat with a hideous tower structure, some shlep hanging off the back. The pontoons had big aluminum lifting strakes to it could get some rise, and kind of resembled the abortions on the side of F8 crusaders to keep them from swapping ends on a cat launch. The wake appeared to be garbage. Egad indeed.
Sorry if its old news.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 2:50pm
Gotta; No answer since this morn to your post so I guess everyone must be boating. But I'd guess you must be about my age (50ish) as I feel the same way about these tower and speaker set-ups we see now. I think this is an age related thing. I've seen all the ads also, they are putting towers on anything now , even jet boats (!) just to sell 'em. Well we all know that all is related to marketing now, not usefullness.....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 3:35pm
I was in a Ba** Pro (Pro Ba**??) shop this summer and saw a tower on a fishing boat. I concur..."Egad!!"
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 5:34pm
what is egad
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 6:01pm

Something old timers say :-)

Towers are here to stay, deal with it! Who gives a rat's if someone wants to put a tower on their cruiser, jet ski etc..it's dumb I know but it's their business.

One really dissapointing thing about this site is the negativity towards a sport that keeps many a 70's and 80's SN alive.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

rarely utilized big-wake tuna-towers

Egad...that is too funny...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 7:13pm
markb; I plead guilty; I'm an old guy and tried to admit as much in my post. Don't take a difference in opinion as negitivity. I know there is lots of old Nautiques out there being used for lots of reasons and for that I am glad. Just turn the boom box down a little. Just jokin'...john
"Loud pipes save lives"

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 8:46pm
Funny, I've seen the word egad used in old time comic strips; my grandmother used the word egad; I once knew a snooty girl in college who would say egad. It's one of those words you've seen, that you think you know the meaning, yet, you've probably never looked it up. So, just for kicks:

Webster's definition for egad -

An exclamation expressing exultation or surprise, etc.

The derivation of the word is unknown, but it is apparently a euphimism for "oh god" probably derived in the 17th century.

There you have it - more useless trivia . . . egad.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2005 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

markb; I plead guilty; I'm an old guy and tried to admit as much in my post. Don't take a difference in opinion as negitivity. I know there is lots of old Nautiques out there being used for lots of reasons and for that I am glad. Just turn the boom box down a little. Just jokin'...john

Yes, stop calling them tuna towers and we'll get along famously

I don't think you could hear my system from the Hawkesbury river in Sydney, Australia so I reckon you'll be safe.

That reminds me I need to get some Aussie diary entries happening pretty soon.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 7:13am
Not being a wakeboarder I have to say some of those towers do look a little excessive but I remember when a Barefoot boom sticking out the side of my boat looked a little weird to. I would say if you're serious about your sport you'll do whatever it takes to excel in it.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 7:18am
Thanks for being good sports.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 10:42am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I would say if you're serious about your sport you'll do whatever it takes to excel in it.

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 2:35pm
Sooooooo.....you don't think you've upset a neighbor or two cranking up your uncorked 351W (or 454) at 7:30am on a Sunday morning to go blasting up and down the lake at 32+mph?

Hi pot, I'm kettle...you're black.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 2:39pm
Well that was fun. Thanks to Gotta for gettin' something goin' for us. BKH, love your informative posts! '81, my boom rests under the bow, unused so I guess it is pretty useless also. MarkB, crank it up. It is to cool to be able to talk to a Nautique lover "down under". So many good things about this site!....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2005 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Gotta; <> But I'd guess you must be about my age (50ish)

Well 38 is 50ish...I hear its not the age, its the milage!

River Rat to Mole
97 sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97 sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 5:27am
GottaSki 38 is still young. egad 50 is still young!!!!!!! one thing to remember that age is only a number. I'm over 50 and still love to ski and board, no tuna tower though, just extended pylon. Do what ever it takes to have fun on the water.
Live everyday like it's your last.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 7:32am
Oh certainly 50 is still young! I used to foot regularly with guys well into in their sixtees who still rip it up every weekend. They're still footing compet*tively with more skill than most half their age.

River Rat to Mole
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 1:55pm

50 is the new forty apparently...my old man is in his 60's and loves to have a ski and he will out ski me any day of the week.

Still trying to get him on the wakeboard though :-)
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by markb markb wrote:

50 is the new forty apparently

Yeh, people say that, but I dont really get it. To me, 40 is 40, 50 is 50, and 60 is 60.

At 42, I know I can't do, physically, what I could do at 25. At 50, I don't expect I'll be able to do what I could at 40 - and that's ok. My goal is just to keep doing what I like to do, as well as I can do it, for as long as the mind and body will let me. I figure you can't ask for much more than that.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 3:24pm
At 45 I Still feel pretty young. I have 2 kids, 13 and a 15 years old and my wife is 9 years younger than me. They make me stay young and I have to work real hard to keep up with them sometimes but it's worth it. The kids are the reason we bought a boat and after 12 years I'm barefootin again. That is still the best rush I've ever hard with my pants on.

I do think the mind is younger than the body though because I still do the things I used to but it takes a few extra days to recover now. Try running around a paintball field for 8 hours chasing kids 1/3 your age, the next day is absolute murder.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 6:21pm
BKH; My goal as well, just keep doin' whatever ya like as long as possible. As you get older tho your health does become lots more important and you sure don't take it for granted........john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic