NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'91 Excel lost reverse

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '91 Excel lost reverse
    Posted: June-15-2012 at 4:27pm
I was out on the lake yesterday and reverse worked fine and then it was gone. I checked the fluid level it and appeared to be almost a quart low, if that is what the full mark to the bottom of the gauge indicates. I headed back in and everything was fine in forward. Is this just fluid level? It is a Warner V-Drive.
1991 Nautique Excel
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 4:32pm
A quart seems to be much, try adding the fluid and see what happens. I´d say you probably overheated the tranny and warped the reverse clutch pack making them to loose the holding ability, like a worn out clutch. Rebuilt is the fix...
report back, good luck
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 4:48pm
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear. I thought I would have experienced some slipping first instead of it just working and then not. I am pretty mechanical, is the rebuild something I can do myself if it comes to that?
1991 Nautique Excel
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by 1StopJeff 1StopJeff wrote:

It is a Warner V-Drive.

It Is a Borg Warner Transmission with a Walter V-drive!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 4:58pm
Looking at the manual it appears to be a Borg Warner Vee Drive which is both the trans and V-drive in one.
1991 Nautique Excel
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 9:15pm
Jeff,
It's sounding like you may need to send the trans to Eric/Vince at FFM For a rebuild. He uses steel clutch plates on the reverse clutch plates to overcome the common breakage issue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 10:02am
yes, it sounds as if the plates are snapped, hard shift into reverse or a worn damper plate is many times the culprit
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic