Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 SN Stock Weight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fisherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 SN Stock Weight
    Posted: October-18-2005 at 5:56pm
Trying to find out the stock weight of this boat with the CC trailer.

Anyone have their weights available? I pulled across a truck scale and got 3400 with trailer, excluding tongue weight. Much heavier than I expected and I'll bet this tongue is around 300 pounds.

One of the POs redid the floor in this boat and I'm wondering if I have a bunch of water logged foam. Porpoises at about 35 mph and gets pretty violent above that.

Central Oregon
'79 Ski Nautique
'84 & '85 MBZ Diesels
'79 Apollo 3000DB
It doesn't need to run bad or look bad just because it's old!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 10:18pm
Fisherman,

According to the 79 Brochure in the reference
section of this site, dry and empty weight
of the 79 Nautique was about 2100 lbs. Add
in Trailer, gas and gear, and I bet your not
far off.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 3:30am
PO had also redone the floor in my boat...but I had the same porpoise problem you described. I changed to a Acme 542 and it went away. What is strange and I can't fully explain is why the prop solved the porpoising. A few days later (and really pleased already with the new prop) I pulled the flooring and spent two days removing the soaked foam and what a difference it made.

The new prop and foam removal have left me with a much smaller wake for slalom skiing. Now when we wakeboard or wakesurf we need a fat sac!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Fisherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 5:42pm
Is that a 542 on a SN? The 542 is only a 11.5" pitch prop so maybe that's what affected the change.

I'm running a nybril 3 blade 13 X 13 and a 4 blade 13 X 13 so I'm wondering if these are just too high a pitch for this boat although that is the stock prop I think.
I'm tracing tachometer problems now to see if I can get an accurate reading at WOT but currently don't feel like I am making 4200 rpms. Probably closer to 3800 but I am really guessing here. I'll try to get a good reading this weekend with my external dwell/tach guage.
Central Oregon
'79 Ski Nautique
'84 & '85 MBZ Diesels
'79 Apollo 3000DB
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2005 at 1:48am
Yep a 542 on a 16' Mustang. It's being driven by a modified 289 that can run 5500 rpm so when I bought the 11.5 pitch I wasn't worried about rpm's and only wanted a water "tractor" since some of the slalom skiers we pull use small HP ski's, deepwater starts, way over 240 lbs and hate wimpy boats. I ran her to 5500 for break-in (scary) but now just ski and wakeboard. The 11.5 pitch also holds speed better while wakeboarding so we're pretty happy.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you have water soaked foam if she porpoises. Messy job removing foam, but it makes a huge difference in performance. Also pretty tough removing the fiberglass and soaked plywood getting to the foam (more weight) but it's worth the effort.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Fisherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 11:20am
I have the phone number of the ownber before last that redid the floor inthis boat. I think I'll try to call him and see what he did when he redid the florr. Who knows maybe there isn't any foam in it...
Central Oregon
'79 Ski Nautique
'84 & '85 MBZ Diesels
'79 Apollo 3000DB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic