NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop and Steering Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop and Steering Question
    Posted: October-18-2005 at 9:02am
About a month ago I put the Acme 540 prop on our 69 Nautique. Really impressed with hole shot, smoothed out the wake, probably increased top end, but I'm hesitant to press the old 318 too hard. It is great for our runs through the slalom course.
I have noticed though that it pulls strong to the left (rh prop). At cruising speed if I took my hands off the wheel it would make a hard left turn.
This is the first inboard we have owned and am not sure of all the charecteristics yet, but this seems to be too strong a pull. Thoughts?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 6:21am
you may have a tracking fin that is bent a little causing this pull. The new prop with added cup vs. the old prop, or the increased surface area of the prop can change the ride additude a little and the force against the rudder and make it more apparent now than with the old prop.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 7:14am
Thanks '79, that makes sense; it does seem to me that with the new prop the bow is not quite as high in the air once it planes out.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 9:21am
If tracking fins are good, the pull can be mostly negated by grinding one side of the trailing edge of the rudder. I will let others say for sure which side as I always forget or get confused. BUT, I think it would be the same side as the pull. Another option is to purchase a modern tunable rudder.

Keep in mind, that a bit of pull is desirable to help keep the boat going straight down the course and not "hunt" from side to side.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 2:07pm
David F,
Thanks, that's good info too. I definitely have more than a bit of a pull. If I let go of the wheel the boat takes a hard left.
Has anybody here tried grinding a rudder? What side?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic