NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 video

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 video
    Posted: December-10-2011 at 5:26pm
Was doing some cleaning up and came across an old video my dad took when he visited us in Houston in 1986. He bought his first and one of the first 8mm video cameras on the trip. What better way to test it out than a trip to the river. Early spring, kind of chilly. Tried to find some suitable 80s soundtrack.

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:00pm
Larry, Who was driving?   8mm---Man we had that back in the late 70's and early 80's !
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:20pm
Not 8mm movies (film) Marty, 8mm video (like VHS but smaller) Tho I have posted some digital redos of old 16 mm home movies my dad took in the early 60s. In fact, here is one, here.

The driver was my lovely fiance, who became my lovely wife about a month or two later.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:25pm
Cool video Larry!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:52pm
Larry,
Great video and some great footing. That brought back memories for me. Was that a 150 Johnson? The Johnsons of that era had a very distinct sound that I can still hear when I watch videos like the one you posted. I spent alot of time behind Checkmate's set up similarly to your boat.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 12:35am
Larry, are you sure you didn't take this video over the summer? Besides having lots of hair, you haven't aged a bit. Must be all the footn' over the years. Thanks for sharing, that was cool.

Ken
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 1:45am
Great video Larry. You were a good skier/footer!!!
83Ski
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:19am
wow was that cool.

oh man...to have it be '86 again huh Larry and get to do this all over! Sure wish I had met Eddie back then. I'd be a pretty fair footer today.

no goggles back in the day?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 4:52am
Both of those videos are awesome, neat idea on the old 16mm convert to have "Dad" do the announcements. Very neat project!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Larry,
Great video and some great footing. That brought back memories for me. Was that a 150 Johnson? The Johnsons of that era had a very distinct sound that I can still hear when I watch videos like the one you posted. I spent alot of time behind Checkmate's set up similarly to your boat.

It was a 115 Steve. A 150 would have been nice for that little extra umph on starts, but otherwise the 115 was pretty adaquate for that 600 pound hull. I think the 150 was a bit over that boats rating, but I do remember seeing that set up on them a few times. Its a Baja 16, my understanding is Baja bought some Checkmate molds.

Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

WERE??? Just kidding Dave, thanks. That could have just as easily been the San Jacinto River that morning, decided to make the longer trip for some reason.

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

oh man...to have it be '86 again huh Larry and get to do this all over! Sure wish I had met Eddie back then. I'd be a pretty fair footer today.

no goggles back in the day?

john

No kidding John. My footing skills absolutely stagnated between 1987 when I left my Texas ski buds until 2008 when I hooked up with Brad, Tim and Keith. What a waste of over 20 years.

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Both of those videos are awesome, neat idea on the old 16mm convert to have "Dad" do the announcements. Very neat project!

In the 90s my dad took about 6 hours of his dad's and his own 16 mm movies ranging from 1932 until 1966 and did all the conversion to VHS himself, adding the music and narration. NIce to have now that he has been gone since 2003. They have all since been converted to DVD.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 2:11am
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

He's still not bad

Very cool videos Larry. When I was on your photo bucket page, I watched the barefoot run you guys did behind (Tim's?) boat. All very cool stuff.

It seems they don't make enough simple fast ski boat like that Baja anymore. Although, that new Glastron they're coming out with will be on that idea. Very cool boat.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2012 at 11:52am
Nice video Larry! I was going to guess Checkmate. I think 115 was the max rated hp on the 16 ft. boats, though people put 135-140 V4's on them, would literally take the boat out of the water on holeshot. On our lake some of the best skiers made their runs behind Glastron GT-160's with Evinrude/Johnson V4's.

What happened to the windshield on your Thompson? We had a 1961 Thompson with Evinrude 40, and I did most of my early skiing behind it. Once I was in my early teens I could barely get up on one ski behind it, dragged forever.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

It seems they don't make enough simple fast ski boat like that Baja anymore. Although, that new Glastron they're coming out with will be on that idea. Very cool boat.

I took a look at the specs on that boat. I really wonder if they will sell many, it's been a long time since people were used to little boats that seat 5 with closed bow. But, I bet it's a blast to drive, styling is almost like a Hydrostream.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 12:56pm
Cool video Larry! Thanks for sharing with us.

Kyle
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 12:59pm
Nice video there Larry. Not a bad choice on the music too, Bon Jovi.. Great stuff..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic