Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water in bilge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water in bilge
    Posted: August-25-2005 at 11:26pm
I have had 5 boats. a 62 buehler turbocraft, a 90 chapparal 2350SX and 2 lasers, and now the 80 SN. EVERY one of them had water in the bilge after use. The Bueheler had a HOLE in it. Completley understandable. The Chaparal had a little in it every time we went out. One day I had the Nautique in the lake for a good 8 hours and had to use the bilge pump to pump out a good amount of water. You know how the drain plug does not get it all out---so I shop vacced the rest out, of the engine compartment near the bilge pump and the access port near the judges seat. A day later there was more water there, the boat was inside. The carpets were soaked as was the rear seat foam through the holes in the cushions. I am sure I have a leaky prop shaft seal, and pretty sure the motor probably leaked the excess water out of it. Im also confident that the Hull is sound. I have to check all the fittings beneath the water line in the fall. How much water does your CC take on in a day? and why do you think the bilge filled back up with about a gallon of water over night? foam gettin water logged somewhere??
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 1:42am
Trike: We left our '80 in the water in TN on vacation for 6 weeks. Not enough water in the bilge to ever pump it out. You gotta make people drip off on your swim platform, I never let anyone just climb back in after a ski. Drives the wife crazy but I insist the water is supposed to be on the outside. If your back seat cushion is soaked (a pain to dry) and your carpets are wet, your skiers are dragging to much water in when they get in......jbear
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 2:45am
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 2:44am
trikeaholic,
Your boat should only get a little water in it after a day of use. Maybe enough to bildge after about 5 hrs. of running time (due to the drip lubrication of the shaft seal).

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. I would check the rudder, speedos, and shaft seal. I'd also check the small exhaust hose the runs from the end of the muffler to the exhaust through-hull in the stern. This very short piece of hose rots out quickly as it is always full of water (below water line). My Mustang and my Dad's Ski Tique both had this problem and they took on a lot of water. You will need to remove the rear floor to inspect.

As for the water overnight while inside - it could be excess water that splashed around while you trailered it from the lake. A lot of water can hide either in the stern or in the bow - water you can't necessarily see when lifting the engine cover (especially if you are on any type of incline). Perhaps this excess was sloshed around while driving and soaked your carpet and seats.

I would be surprised if you seat cusions would hold enough water to notice in your bildge - very surprised.

It would be more likely that your sub-floor has some cracks or holes that allow water to seep into the foam of other compartments. It may simply take overnight for it all to seep back out.

Hope this helps,
-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 3:30am
Ditto what Keith says and when in and out of the water all day..swimming & skiing will put more water in the bilge that you expect.If you go out for a few hours just riding and check the bilge, you should only see a small amount of water ...if you still see a good bilge full you most likely have it comming from somewhere you don't want it to be!
As far as the overnight thing...that seems to be a lot...you could try this... vacuum up all excess water and watch to see where it comes from...if you had as much as a gallon over night , I would think you could see a trickle if you watched for about five minutes!One place to look ...might be where water drains from the front of the bow under the battery...on my mustang, there is a small hole that water moves through from the bow to the bilge .If you lift the bow by cranking the trailer up and water is there, you can see it drain from that spot.

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

patt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

trikeaholic,
Your boat should only get a little water in it after a day of use. Maybe enough to bildge after about 5 hrs. of running time (due to the drip lubrication of the shaft seal).

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. I would check the rudder, speedos, and shaft seal. I'd also check the small exhaust hose the runs from the end of the muffler to the exhaust through-hull in the stern. This very short piece of hose rots out quickly as it is always full of water (below water line). My Mustang and my Dad's Ski Tique both had this problem and they took on a lot of water. You will need to remove the rear floor to inspect.

As for the water overnight while inside - it could be excess water that splashed around while you trailered it from the lake. A lot of water can hide either in the stern or in the bow - water you can't necessarily see when lifting the engine cover (especially if you are on any type of incline). Perhaps this excess was sloshed around while driving and soaked your carpet and seats.

I would be surprised if you seat cusions would hold enough water to notice in your bildge - very surprised.

It would be more likely that your sub-floor has some cracks or holes that allow water to seep into the foam of other compartments. It may simply take overnight for it all to seep back out.

Hope this helps,
-Keith
patt
patt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 9:38am
i just got a 1985 nautique 2001 and took it out sat and it ran great but i was getting alot of water under engine any one have some thoughts on this i had to use bilge pump alot thank you patt pptmb@webtv.net
patt
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 10:49am
Patt...might check all through hull fittings.
Look when your in the water at your stuffing box...if not tight enough water can squirt in(it should only be dripping)...mine was like that when a bought it.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 12:31pm
Trikealcoholic- I had an '85 2001 sn with the same problem-after narrowing the field-thru hull fittings shaft packing hoses etc.The culprit turned out to be loose screws on the tracking fins-remove all screws and the fins-5200 the screw holes and the fin insert on the hull-this should solve your problem short of having a cracked hull
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 8:21pm
return of the living thread! LOL.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 9:09pm
Patt,

If your boat has a heater in it, I'd check that first. The cores break all the time.
It's the only thing that has ever leaked on
my last two boats.

If not, just go through the checklist

1) any place where there are intentional
holes in the boat: pickup, fins, shaft
rudder, exhaust, pitot tubes on the speedometers

2) Places where water goes through the engine: waterpump, hoses,
freeze plugs, water filter, etc.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 12:30am
I removed the floor to understand the leaks in our old boat. It leaked everywhere, however most were minor, but in total I would guess it would leak over a gallon per hour.

We pulled our boat and reworked every thru hull fitting, prop shaft packing and hose as well as the rudder shaft mount and packing. Launched her without the floor so we could see any leaks. Everything OK. Ran for a while and no leaks.

Skiing is another thing! The boat gets a lot of water just from normal use with everyone crawling in and out. I thought the boat had another leak and after the kids left that weekend, we let her sit in the lake for a week....no water.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic