NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang H/M engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 11:22am
That boat has come up before- its in MN, right?

So the blue boat will become your parts boat? Thats kind of a shame. Hold onto that blue hull for me, though. Ive been looking for one for quite a while.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 11:25am
That's pretty complete looking. You even have the original steering wheel and the side panels.

You look long enough some HM Manifolds will come up. Check out the Donzi sites every now and then.

First thing everyone will tell you is to replace the rubber hose on the high pressure side of the fuel pump with metal or a Cost Guard approved rubber one.

There's a guy on this site that makes the step pads if you want some nice shiny new ones.

Pretty sure the big HM sticker on the back is not original   
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 12:51pm
I found this one in WI too.
I'm pretty sure the blue boat will not miss the manifolds and other parts. I wondered about the stickers myself. The owner really doesn't know that much about the boat or CCs in general. All he could tell me about the stickers is that they were on there when he bought it years ago. He has used it very little, sometimes it has had stretches of 4 years in the barn. Thanks for the suggestions on the hose. I will probably replace all rubber, including the exhaust hoses. I have read on this site somewhere that the Mustangs are loud and the H/M Mustangs are louder. This owner also said its a loud boat. After reading TJBenj's 2007 post on his amazing exhaust system I checked out Eddie Marine. I see they sell some SS inline mufflers. That might be the ticket. The blue boat has rubber ones, but I don't know if they flow well. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. The blue SS is a donor boat now. I like the colored hulls better, but this one really is nice so I couldn't pass. I may send the engine out to my friends machine shop and have it "freshened up" and detailed over the winter. It's too early to tell. I don't even have it yet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:12pm
John, I got your email but could not reply (your profile has it set to "private"). I am indeed interested in the blue hull, so keep me in mind if you end up dismantling it. Logistics may be a little tricky, but Im certainly in no rush.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:26pm
BTW, your boat is amazing! But I see you get that all the time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:29pm
The H/M manifolds do have their very own sound and yes, they are louder!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:34pm
And they look even better when they are sanded smooth and polished.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 7:26pm
It would be hard to decide. I have seen them both ways on the site and they both look great!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 1:55am
Here are a couple photos of the blue hull's problems. There are both cracks and blisters. Most of them are in the bow section from the dash forward below the floor line where the water accumulated in the flotation foam while left outside and endured countless freeze / thaw cycles. I agree that it is a very desirable boat, but Mrs. B doesn't want me to tackle that big a project. So here I am with a possibly ready to run pretty nice Mustang that I can tinker and tweek each year. it is a shame to put the blue SS to rest, but it only makes the remaining ones more rare and desirable. As I said, the "new" Mustang could become an SS clone.
mountaineerminer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaineerminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2011 at 7:50pm
john b,

If or when you do decide to start selling off some extra parts I would be more than willing to take that horn, glovebox, and steering wheel off your hands!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2011 at 8:13pm
Thanks, I will keep it in mind. Right now I am having a hard time committing to breaking it up. I have considered having my friend who owns a body shop repair and paint it. It would be somewhat costly, but quite a bit cheaper that gel. Either way peeling the gel is a lot of labor$.
BTW, I hit a pothole with Mrs B and the other Mustang. I hope to get back on the road soon though. When she found out that the blue SS was now a parts boat and I was jumping into another project she knew in her mind that I had lost mine. She agreed to it if I sell one of my current boats and a car. I had a deal lined up for my 64 Mark Twain, but the buyer was short on cash.
I hope I can work something out, but my boats are in storage for the year so it doesn't look good. Its true, the stuff does start to own you!
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 10:52pm
john b,please dont part out the blue ss.someone has to save the rare ones,if its not for you pass it on.i was told to part out my 86' silver nautique and i could probably make a few bucks doing it.in the end i have decided to keep and restore all of it myself.my gel below the water line appears to be way worse then yours.i figure if i screw it up at least it will be under water.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 10:52pm
It was too windy up here to work on the project I have going so I pulled the Mustang home from storage just to look at it some more. I couldn't stand the thought of it going through repeated freeze / thaw cycles again with the better part of the lake in the foam. One thing led to another and I opened it up. My olfactory was assaulted by the most unpleasant odor. I removed what I estimate to be 80# of saturated foam from the area forward of the bilge bulkhead between the primary stringers. 3-5 gallons of water ran out as well. I can't make a decision on this boat. I will strip the foam before winter and think on it some more. Does this qualify for a superfund site?
mountaineerminer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaineerminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:19am
John,

I was going to make a post on that smell alone, lol. I have taken the deck off mine and started to "dig" out the foam; that stuff is nasty!!! I have done a stringer job on a bayliner type last year, and it smelled no where near as bad as the CC foam, and it was wetter.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:45am
I found the dryer vent, I am still looking for the dryer.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:27am
I want to thank everyone for all the help and advise on the Mustang.
I have had a lot of input from Mrs B and my oldest daughter, Jenny, on what I need to do on the boating front. They have decided that I NEED to finish the 72 15' Mark Twain that I have in the garage at home. The boat has a lot of memories for them. I agreed to sell the 64 Mark Twain in the sprig because its an old stinkpot 2 stroke. To finish the 72 I MUST install a hybrid SBC 383 stroker motor that my friend at R&R engineering will build for me. I already own the Seastar hydraulic steering system, Mercruiser Alpha drive, gauges, and accessories for if. The hull is in showroom condition without a stress or spider crack in it.
I have decided to strip the foam from the 69 Mustang and hold it in reserve in storage. I hope to find the missing parts for it on this site over the next year or so and maybe attack it next winter.
I really want a Mustang, but if seems the rest of the family isn't thrilled about the seating arrangement on it. They have ridden "in the back of the bus" in my brothers Supra and they don't like being back there unable to talk to front seat passengers. The rumble of the engine doesn't help either. I am pretty sure they will find the sound of the Mustang objectionable.
Please forgive me for not being pure of heart when it comes to CCs, but I will get my Mustang in time. Maybe I can even talk my painter into shooting gel coat given the time.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 4:09am
Great news. I am back in the Mustang market. I have convinced Mrs B that a seriously overpowered Frankenboat is not what we need. She said I can shop for a Mustang again, but I am not allowed to bring home a "project". It must be nice and ready to use. This means I will be taking some parts off the 69 SS as spares and most likely parting it. Perseverance paid off. I think Mrs B calls it pestering. I know I am on the right track now. She agreed that she isn't that interested in a ski/speed boat anyway. She is happy on her motorized floating patio.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 12:15am
The name of the thread no longer applies. It is now a 69 Mustang SS with no engine.
I was surprised that the engine mount lag bolts were still tight. The hull is now officially stripped. It is sad in one respect. There are probably Mustangs running around with worse hulls. The engine now awaits a trip from the northwoods of Wisconsin to the machine shop for a rebuild sometime next year. With luck it will find a new hull to snuggle up with and make beautiful music once again The hull and #2 trailer may not be so lucky.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 12:52am
I see you got the manifolds apart,did they give you any trouble?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 2:17am
They were really stuck together. Their design allows you to use the nuts as jacking bolts by putting spacers behind them and loosening them causing them to push the two parts apart. They are amazingly clean inside. I thought that being aluminum they would shoe some corrosion.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 1:17pm
Looks great John! Left you a voicemail this morning, I may wind up in Crandon WI sometime around Thanksgiving or soon after. Thought I was going to have to bring a motor back but it's being picked up for me. That may save you a trip and some gas $.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 2:03am
I am going back to Villa Park (Chicago) tomorrow. I will be coming back up sometime between thanksgiving and early December. Maybe we can synchronize our watches and make an Exchange. Crandon is about 70 miles away as I am sure you know.
Sorry I missed your call this am. My phone got into airplane mode somehow. I tried to call you se several times today but missed you. Give me a call tomorrow if you can, ill be on the road.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 2:18am
John, just got your voicemail sorry again for missing your calls. I'm out at the lake now (no service) so I'll call you back in the morning. One of these times we'll catch up!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic