Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ford 351 with PCM manifold heating up while idling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 351 with PCM manifold heating up while idling

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 11:04am
Mike N

1968 Mustang

ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 2:54pm
got one at harbor freight CEN - Tech.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Will get to some testing today.
Thank you.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 3:16pm
HF is having a huge sidewalk sale today. Might have to go check it out. Curious to see how the temp gun works. Let us know what you find.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 8:05pm
OK fellas,
I got pics and videos for you.
I look forward to hearing back you.

Please take a minute to watch.
Would appreciate some feedback when can. Thank you.

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6b658c596670b9a766

(copy and past in browser)

I think the light smoke at end of video is from wrong breather or just oils and such from years of rebuilding - not sure.

ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 8:06pm
the video is 3-4 min long. will take a few min to load.
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 8:11pm
Lets try this again:

GO HERE TO SEE VIDEO.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEvmmjiwp0

Go HERE TO SEE PICTURES:

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6b658c596670b9a766#
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 8:19pm
Opps broken link.

FOR PICS...
https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6b658c596672b2a1a9

ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 8:51pm
Let it run for about 6-7 minutes.
Smoke is coming from breather cap.
I know I am suppose to have some kind of return hose from flame arrester to breather cap??? but my flame arrester does not have nipple for hose.
These are automotive valve covers and breather.

Could it also be the heating up of the gasket silcone used to but on
V covers? It has been 3 years since I put them on and started motor?

Took temps reading after 7 min.

Both heads 122 degrees
Both valve covers 84.
both risers 70
Driver side manilfold 195-200 at base of triangle.
Other manifold 135.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 10:46pm
Looks like you have a gauge problem.Did you run the boat before you rebuilt it? Or did this happen after the rebuild? Did you ever change senders? Have you disconnected the sender and then turned on the key? Did the gauge stay at zero? Where does the hose that comes from the pcv valve on the right valve cover go to? Sorry for all the questions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 11:02pm
Gary,
Never saw the boat run.
It was partially sunk when i bought it.
Yes, new senders, 1 from ski dim , 1 from quivra marine.
Pics have code of sender. Looks to be correct one.
Not sure if gauge is acurrate after 35 years ???
I did take wire off and turn key and zero was the outcome. touched it to ground and pegged it to hot.
Changed sending unit and same thing.
Hose goes from check valve to carb.

thank you for asking the question. keep them coming.
Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 11:21pm
I think you are getting the wrong senders.On a cold engine when you first go to start your already getting a temp reading?Might have to pull the gauge and see if it has any model numbers on the side or back of it and go from there. It's a Teleflex I assume? That number I posted is for VDO but those guy's were sharp maybe they could help.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 11:25pm
Looks like a gauge problem.

edit: not in that I think the actual gauge is broken but rather the engine is running at normal temp and the reading is off.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 4:38am
Some vapor is normal if the engine sat for a long period.
Also the new paint will smoke a smell over a few thermal cycles.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 9:48am
Rig up some cheap hose/duct like dryer venting to each exhaust and collect the water in seperate buckets. Run it and see how much difference you get in each. Have you contacted the company who made the FWC system to make sure it's plumbed correctly?

Have you ID'd the Ohm range the gauge needs? To check the sender, remove the wire, get a Ohm reading to the block and check that to the known temp. Do it at several temps. The Ohm to temp range is pretty linear.

To check the gauge, you can remove it from the boat and hook it up on the bench with known values of resistors instead of the sender.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 5:47am
Update on temp sending unit:
Called Teleflex, tech told me I need the sending unit TS26631. I was able to get one through west marine.

Teleflex told me that the TS26631 has OHM range 240 cold / 33 hot.

Bought one for $14.
Put it in and getting same results. Up to 240.

I am having trouble with my oil temp gauge (not moving under normal operation, but when grounded to block pegs to right)

Any other tests I can do?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by ZenZeus ZenZeus wrote:

Any other tests I can do?

Have you checked the actual temperature as recommended? IR temp gun? Also, some of the better digital volt ohm meters have a plug in thermocouple. You tape it close to the gauge sender.

Bench test the gauge as mentioned?

Check you voltage you get to the gauges.

With the oil pressure gauge, check the ohms at sender same as recommended for the temp sender. Sender wire diconnected and with engine off and running at several different RPM's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82Fineline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82Fineline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 12:47am
^What temps would you be expecting to see with the IR gun? Mine reads 150* on the gauge once warmed up, but if I use the gun on the intake and block it will read anywhere from 175 - 205. Im assuming this is normal as the sending unit is reading the water temp which is cooler than the actual engine?

Thanks!
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 4:01pm
UPDATE!
Shaft alignment:
Ok fellas, I got the shaft aligned to .001 tolerence. I used a half moon piece of shaft packing to align the shaft in shaft log - worked great.

Gauges:
Still having troubles with my gauges, temp sending unit, oil pressure and gas tank. I will get back to you on these. I have not been able to get a meter on the situation yet - next on the list after timing.

TIMING:
OK, I bought a aftermarket timing cover. I am now missing a timing pointer :( . I need help to determine what pointer i need (10 or 11 oclock) and maybe where to get one. Or maybe make my own and set the piston to TDC and use some timing tape on dampener to get a base reading - any suggestions. I am going to post some pics of my timing cover to see where it should mount. There is a little hole but not threaded - maybe a sheet metal screw ??? to hold .
I would love to see a picture of what it should look like - anyone got one. My motor is a 351W reverse rotation.

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6b698e596773b46f99

LINKAGE for BW 1:1:
First the tranny and gears all work fine.
How do I begin to set the linkage correctly- should i set it a particular gear first then adjust???. I can either get it to go in forward and neutral, but not reverse or the opposite. Can't seem to get it to go in all 3 gears from the shifter (original shifter 1977) Seems
Look forward to everyones help.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic