NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'75 SN 351 won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '75 SN 351 won't start
    Posted: January-23-2011 at 1:00am
Hello, new to correct crafts and looking for help. I have a few questions about marine engines and would like some help to get my motor running. The problem I am facing is the motor will not start. It has spark at the coil and the #8 plug, the only one I checked. It has fuel because I disconnected a line above the pump and it pumped some out. So, I think the timing may be off. Right now, the firing order based on my distributor and wires is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3, which may or may not be correct So,

What should my firing order be for a RH rotation engine? I can only find the firing order for LH rotation.

Then, what position on the distributor is #1, or the starting point for the firing order?
Finally, looking at my prop it appears to also have the RH rotation looking from the rear, so does this mean that my tranny is the 1:1 ratio?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I really like this site and could easily spend hours on end reading various topics non-stop, great stuff!

Stu

1982 BareFoot Nautique PCM 454 *Under Repair*
'82 BFN
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 2:39am
Take a look Here for manuals in the CCF reference section. You should find the correct firing order along with a host of other info the will come in handy. Welcome to the site!
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:54am
looking from the back of the boat at the boat, if the prop turns clockwise for forward, you have a right hand engine.
but i must ask, the no start situation, did you or someone else mess with the engine, sparking your curiosity on the firing order?
i was just wondering where a good starting place would be to get you going
"the things you own will start to own you"
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

looking from the back of the boat at the boat, if the prop turns clockwise for forward, you have a right hand engine.
but i must ask, the no start situation, did you or someone else mess with the engine, sparking your curiosity on the firing order?
i was just wondering where a good starting place would be to get you going

I did not mess with the engine, I bought the boat as is. The situation is it does not start. I recorded the firing order based on the location of the wires on the distributor and that firing order does not match up with anything I have found online so far.
Stu

'82 BFN
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 2:27pm
The firing order you list is correct for a reverse rotation 351 which is what your boat came with. You can find it in the PCM manual as listed in the reference section.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 2:59pm
Like Papa said, the firing order you have listed (18456273) is correct for a RH 351w. To determine which post is number one, put the engine at top dead center (0 degrees on the balance) on the compression stroke of the engine. Put your finger over the #1 cylinder spark plug hole to figure out which stroke the engine is on. Whichever post the rotor is pointing towards at this point is your #1. Follow the order around the distributor counterclockwise.

If the engine hasnt run in some time, I would also be running it off a tank of fresh gas. If the current gas smells like paint thinner, its bad.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 3:55pm
Get the spark timing reasonably close to 10 before TDC & then squirt an ounce of good gas down the carb. Put the flame arrestor back on & try it. It should light up for a few seconds. if not, you may have compression problems.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 8:44pm
Just a thought here! It has happened before but confirm you have the proper rotation starter.
Welcone to the site. We'll get you runniing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:11pm
I tried dumping some fuel down the carburator and it sounded like it wanted to start, so I think my problem may be fuel related now. How can I test if my fuel tank sending unit is working? I popped of the fuel filter by the engine and it was full of fuel.
Stu

'82 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If the engine hasnt run in some time, I would also be running it off a tank of fresh gas. If the current gas smells like paint thinner, its bad.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:48pm
Stu - The gas tank is gravity fed.   Although there is a anti-shipon valve that can become clogged.   It is the elbow on top of the tank.   I think Tim is alluding to emptying all your old gas & start with fresh.   You can hook up a temp. gas can to the fuel water separator/filter if you want to rule out fuel delivery issues.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 11:16pm
Did the boat ever run since you own it?

you could always dump extra fuel on the carb by giving it some dumps on the throttle while cranking.

What ignition system are you running? points or EI?

Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 11:42pm
My boat has the electronic ignition, and I have not yet had it running. The fuel tank was empty so I put 5 fresh gallons of regular in it with lead substitute, so fuel quality should not be an issue. Are there any fuel shut off valves anywhere along the line?
Stu

'82 BFN
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:32am
Take the fuel line out of the carb into a recipient and crank, a nice & strong stream of fuel should come out, that way you'll know you're getting fuel out the tank and fuel pump. If you can connect a fuel pressure gauge you should see at least 6psi.

How long has the boat sat? As TRbenj suggested, it might be a good idea to drain/clean it or even run an external tank for testing purposes. Do you have a fuel filter? have you checked it?

You might have a pretty clogged carburetor as well.
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Take the fuel line out of the carb into a recipient and crank, a nice & strong stream of fuel should come out, that way you'll know you're getting fuel out the tank and fuel pump. If you can connect a fuel pressure gauge you should see at least 6psi.

How long has the boat sat? As TRbenj suggested, it might be a good idea to drain/clean it or even run an external tank for testing purposes. Do you have a fuel filter? have you checked it?

You might have a pretty clogged carburetor as well.

I pulled a fuel line off from the carb and cranked it. Fuel came out in burst for a second, but i stopped because the engine fired a little bit but didn't start.
Judging by the tag on the engine, I think my firing order and timing are good, so fuel must be the issue. How can I check for a clogged carburetor? When I did dump some fuel in it, I did notice that there was "standing" fuel in it after I tried starting it.

I have been told that this boat was running and was used last summer
Stu

'82 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Warpman89 Warpman89 wrote:

The fuel tank was empty so I put 5 fresh gallons of regular in it with lead substitute, so fuel quality should not be an issue.

Was the entire fuel system drained, or was the tank simply empty? It would take quite some time for the pump to pull fuel all the way from the tank (your battery would likely die before the engine fired) so if it gave an indication of wanting to start, then it was probably trying to run off old (bad) gas that was in the fuel lines, pump or carb bowls. Try pouring a little fresh gas down the throat of the carb... if it fires up, then you have a fuel issue- either fuel quality or supply.
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 8:51pm
She runs! I think the previous owner ran the fuel tank dry and it just took a lot of cranking to prime the system. Thanks for all the help! You will be hearing from me again!
Stu

'82 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 10:12am
back to basics
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic