NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't rev up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't rev up
    Posted: December-11-2010 at 2:45am
Hi all,
boat ran perfect early today, like it has done since the carb was rebuilt a few engine-hours ago. Had to idle around for an hour today (tour with birdwatchers...), no prob whatsoever, but when I wanted to speed up after that hour the engine didn't want to rev up anymore. Sort of like it choked, it stuttered a bit, it kept running but just didn't want to go. Back to shore where I tried to rev it up in neutral; same thing, and it actually choked. Managed to fire it up again (lot of black crap from the exhausts it I remember correctly), then same thing, died again. Then wouldn't start again. Didn't keep trying cause I had to leave.
Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Bottom line I think is don't use a skiboat for birdwatching...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 8:53am
Sander,
Did you ever rebuild the carb?
Stuck float/seat? Choke opening all the way?
With the black out the aft end, it's fuel related.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 2:15pm
Yeah I guess it's carb related. It was rebuild 5 hours ago. Temperature stayed fine, nothing wrapped around the prop.
Thanks Pete, I'll check the float and choke today.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Yeah I guess it's carb related. It was rebuild 5 hours ago. Temperature stayed fine, nothing wrapped around the prop.
Thanks Pete, I'll check the float and choke today.

Somethings not correct. Fill me in on the rebuild. You? "pro"? Float level set? "Shade tree" mechanic?-I have no idea of whats available down there!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 9:59pm
Ha! You got a valid point there. VERY valid. However, I do have some confidence in this guy. First one actually that I trust down here... Here did the rebuild.
He concluded it's the sparkplugs and cables. Sparkplugs are always blacker than black. Boat started smoking pretty badly too (again) yesterday. He suggested using plugs with a higher temperature (or however you say that in english) because we're in a different climate than the US. Any opinions about that?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 10:47pm
yeah no.. nothing in your climate justifies changing the spark plug heat range. Your carb is probably just set a little rich...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 11:13pm
check if you have raw fuel leaking into the carb..thus the black smoke,
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 2:21am
Thanks guys!
There is indeed some fuel leaking into the carb. Should (hopefully) be solved by getting new plugs and cables. Hope to get sparkplugs (24's they shall be!) tomorrow, will need to order cables from the US.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 8:53am
Sander,
It's the carb. Your guy sounds like he works on 2 cycle outboards!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 9:44am
loss of 3% every 1000 feet of altitude.....but again the boat ran before messing with the carb
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 9:55am
he is costa rica so I guess its sea level..no altitude problem..maybe some bird drop made it into the carb and fuzzed the float and its not closing right..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 11:16am
Don't waste your money of plugs and cables, the carb's needle and seat is boogared up.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

check if you have raw fuel leaking into the carb..thus the black smoke,

Thanks guys!
There is indeed some fuel leaking into the carb. Should (hopefully) be solved by getting new plugs and cables. Hope to get sparkplugs (24's they shall be!) tomorrow, will need to order cables from the US.

Your blackened spark plugs are a symptom of your leaking carb issue, not a cause.

Although, once you get your carburetor to stop leaking, it might be worth changing to some new spark plugs if your old ones are fouled badly from the leaky carburetor.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 12:40pm
If the carb is an older style Holley,a sneeze will blow out the power valve.
The result will be an over rich idle , black plugs. The easiest way to tell is by trying to adjust idle mixture. If you can screw them all the way closed and if the engine will still idle, you have a bad PV........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sander,
Choke opening all the way?

Sander,
A voice from the CCfan past has spoken to me!!
He too wants you to check your choke to see if it's opening. If not, check to see if you have power going to the choke coil on the side of the carb. It's the round black thing with the wire terminals on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 2:29pm
If the information is correct that the carb is leaking when it shouldnt be.. then gottaski is right and the seat and needle are boogered or the float misadjusted... also possible is the power valve blowout, choke not fully opening, general general carb misadjustment, etc.... none of which will be cured by a new set of plugs or wires..

Another longshot possiblity would be an engine running very cold due to a thermostat missing or running open all the time .. but again really the carb is what changed and it is the most likely culprit for the symptoms..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 4:55pm
Sorry I missed that question Pete. But it does open all the way.

Problems didn't start after carb rebuild, but after idling for an hour. Until then it ran perfectly fine.
I'm at 1800 ft alt by the way. But then again, it ran perfectly until last friday.
Thanks for all the suggestions, gonna check it out this afternoon!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 4:14am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Don't waste your money of plugs and cables, the carb's needle and seat is boogared up.

That's my bet.

Either that or a bad PV.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 1:12pm
Well, turned out that the PV-gasket was missing, instead there was a metal ring there... Changed that out et voila, carb leaking was over. However, still ran like sh!t. Changed the sparkplugs and... ran better than ever since I had this boat! For about 15 minutes when the steering cable broke
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 3:47pm
Sander,
I'm happy you got the problem fixed. Yes, it needed plugs but the fouling was caused by the rich condition from the carb.

I know your choices of mechanics is limited but I'd be looking for someone else if I were you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 5:34pm
Sander,
I've been spoken to again and it's been suggested that I bring up a issue that hasn't been mentioned. The altitude your at may require some different carb jetting. We have some members running at the higher elevations so maybe they will pick up this thread and comment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 5:59pm

ran better than ever since I had this boat! For about 15 minutes when the steering cable broke

That is how it goes sometimes. I spent a few days in Arenal back in 2005. What a cool place to ride! Seemed pretty windy but I bet you have some good spots for calm water. Vulcan Arenal, Ronrico Rum and I had it out the last night I was there. Had an absolutley amazing display that night of lava flow and I could have stayed up all night watching. I was only a few hours short of that goal

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 2:24am
Pete, thanks! I wish I had the option of using another mechanic. Guess I'll have to keep educating myself right here!
And, I hope "they" keep speaking to you. Keep passing the messages on!

Keegan, I hear ya! It is an amazing place. Does get very windy at times but indeed we're in a small cove protected from the wind. Fun year round :)
Next time make sure you get the Ron Centenario. Mucho mejor! ;)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 10:00am
wouldnt mind trying some of the local coffee Trip
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

wouldnt mind trying some of the local coffee Trip

Somehow... that sounds awefully familiar! Did we talk about coffee before? Sorry, my faulty memory again. Damn Korsakoff...

On a sidenote; boat ran GREAT today! Welded steeringcable held up perfectly (hope it will keep doing that until new one arrives), and new sparkplugs are a gift from heaven. Couldn't get 6 (temp) so had to put in 5 (the only thing available around here) but will change to 6 as soon as I can get them cause these do run hot (white).
Everybody thank for the input!
DMJY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMJY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 1:30am
I know the news,thanks for sharing it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 9:57am
6 ????????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic