NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gut Job

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:01pm
Mine is possibly different so I will wait for someone with a 88 or 87 to chime in. Looking good though. You are really making headway now.
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 3:46am
Thanks Pete for the info on the shaft and log. I landed the motor in this evening and got to wondering..... How do you make sure your motor is level from left to right after a job like this? or will it really matter if I'm a few degrees off axis? It was a good feeling to slide the rear seat in and have it fit snug. Glad the floor heights ended up correct in the rear.
87' 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 8:56am
You can just "eye ball" or measure the position rod ends on the front mounts. It doesn't matter if you are off slightly. Get it as level as you can with the hull. The critical is the shaft to engine alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:24am
What is the rule of thumb for tongue weight. I've heard many different formulas, also does anyone know where to buy the u-bolts that hold the bow stop and where to find new lenses for old air guide speedo's?
87' 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:39am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:04am
10% of the gross weight is normal on the tongue.

U bolts at McMaster

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 6:25pm
I'm encountering a brain freeze currently. Can some one tell me what wires go where with hooking up the gas tank? I have a red and a black and a green, I think the green goes to the deck fill and then to the center post? Which would mean that's the ground? So the black also goes there? Then the red goes on the terminal on the outside of the ring?   
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 7:26pm
You had better trace the wires and see where they go. Black would be the normal color for ground. The green may be jumpers to ground all the metal. The red may be the aft stern light. Where's the gas gauge sender wire? Again, see where they go and or get the VOM out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 6:41pm
My driver seat right now has the fiberglass base, then some marine plastic built up in 3/4" layers where the original seat slides are suppose to be, then my seat. I was wondering if I ordered this Seat Slides, would I need anything else in order to connect it to my base and seat other than some bolts from the local hardware store or does this include everything that I'll need?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:31pm
I'm darn near ready for the first wet test. After hooking up my carb i notice the choke doesn't open when the throttle is moved to full. What did I miss or what needs to be adjusted to get this to happen?
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:50pm
Roger,
The choke isn't controlled by the throttle. There is a bimetalic spring under the round black cover on the side of the carb. When you turn on the ignition, this spring gets powered up which heats it opening up the choke.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:00pm
But, there is supposed to be something that mechanically forces the choke open under full throttle, in order to unload a flooded engine, right?

I couldn't find something Holley Specific, but I did find this cool old Popular Mechanics article:
PM Automatic Choke Article
Look in the first paragraph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:24am
My brain was telling me that I saw something when I actually read it. Last year when I was trying to figure out my lag out of the hole I was reading alot of Holley literature. In the literature I read about full throttle being used to clear a flooded carb. I called Holley Tech Support today and they stated that that is mainly on the Non-Marine Carbs. It is connected to the fast idle some how and on a Marine version the fast Idle isn't used because it would result in going into gear at high idle. So all in all I never saw it on my boat I just read it somewhere and then thought I saw it.

On a different note I got her out on the water tonite and she ran better than it ever has for me I'm smiling ear to ear. All in all I had three issues tonite though on the first test. I had to adjust my throttle and gear cables, going into forward was happening at too high of an r.p.m., Second on the way back to load at the dock my steering jambed up. When I got home it happened to be the vent hose hanging too low and jambing the rudder from turning, Then the third is I have a creeping throttle that I'm looking for some advice on. It doesn't really matter what speed I'm going it only takes about 15 seconds and the throttle starts throttling back. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can remedy this? Or does a new cable do the trick?
87' 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:34am
You know, you could be right. That full throttle > Choke opening feature may not exist on every carb. You're right that the fast idle cam is not supposed to be on a marine carb. So, maybe the marine carbs don't have the "un load" feature either.

I think the throttle is supposed to spring back. Mine does. Not fast, but it creeps its way back. Someone said it is a safety feature? I know my Holley has some sort of throttle return spring, although, it is not a very heavy spring, and my throttle does not return quickly, just a little bit of pressure keeps it down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 8:46am
Roger,
The creep back on the throttle is normal.

Hey, did you ever figure out the wiring at the aft end?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
The creep back on the throttle is normal.

Hey, did you ever figure out the wiring at the aft end?

Yeah I did, luckily for me I didn't cut the end of the wires like I thought I did. The outer ring connections holds the ground wire (black) from wiring harness and ground from deck fill( green in my case), Red was connected to the center post.

After some online searching I'm going to try a metal cable clamp to cure the throttle creep.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 10:10pm
What causes a fast idle in neutral but good at idle in gear. 1000 in N. 600 in fear
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 10:14pm
Roger,
How did your strut/shaft/log/engine alignment turn out? Can you spin the prop and shaft easily? Did you get the coupling face at all four spots to or less than .003"? If not, the shaft is binding pulling the RPM's down to the 600 and the fast idle is simply a adjustment at the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:23am
roger,ck your cable adjustments.it wouldnt hurt to ck for vacuum leak.the carb base gaskets turn to mush and cause a high idle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:16am
Saturday morning I replaced the gaskets on my carb and realigned my shaft. One or both seemed to fix my isssues. I put around 50 miles on the engine Saturday and it ran without a flaw and strong as a champ. It's so nice to park the boat and not have any issues with it bouncing around in my head. Thanks to all who helped me get this project done. Without this community I would have never been able to do it. Thanks Guys. P.S. $2 is all it took to stop the throttle creep. A simple cable clamp and two extra nuts cured the issue and now I can hold a constant R.P.M. even after 20 minutes under throttle it stays pretty darn close to where you set it.
87' 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:39pm
Pics of the throttle creap fix??
I hate not being able to take my hand off the throttle while under way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 11:43pm
Throttle creep fix.
87' 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic