Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stripped out waterjacket plug...PMC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodyboard1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyboard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stripped out waterjacket plug...PMC
    Posted: April-10-2010 at 2:56am
every year it gets harder and harder to deal with the brass plugs on my engine block. I have a 1980 454 PMC. I just tried to get everything back together for the first trip to the lake and found out that one of the water jacket plugs threads is so rusted out that when I tried to screw the plug in it stripped out. I know I need to run a tap and die through it....my question is do I go one size up and also what about the metal fillings? My buddy said they would be flushed out the back with the exhaust...Any advise and tips on this would be really helpful. Also when I winterize do I take the plugs out...drain and put the plugs back in? Or do I leave the plugs out after I drain the block (it seems like this leaves water pooled on the threads....which causes the rust. HELP! we are getting very close to boarding season!
work?.....let's go to the lake!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 3:33am
With the pipe threads you may not need to go up a size, but I wouldn't count on it. I agree that you dont really need to worry about the chips. After you fix them I would say get yourself some plugs with removable handles and never remove them again

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stop-cocks/=6lecy9
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 10:17am
Joe's link took me to the general selection page. These are the ones he's referring to:

Joe also mentioned you may not need to go to the next pipe size. This is true if the threads aren't that bad. Try running the same size pipe tap in first but just a little deeper than the factory did. Since pipe threads are tapered, this will make the tapped hole slightly larger while cutting new threads. The danger here is if you have to go too far to clean up the threads then the hole will be too large and the plug/stop cock won't tighten. If that's the case, then yes the next step is going to the next pipe size.

Your original plugs should be 1/4" pipe size.

I also agree with Joe on the chips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 11:15am
When winterizing, I think you should re-install the plugs after draining and fill the block with antifreeze, either by back-filling or pumping it in with the hose and bucket method. This method provides some anti-corrosion protection for the internals and will also keep your impeller pliable.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 12:58pm
A little anti-seize on the plug during re-installation goes a long ways for rust protection.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 3:39pm
at times, when the NPT taps are used, the tap is designed to go in half way and stop, but you can go further into the old threads farther with the tap, possibly cutting new threads, the plug will go deeper but, thats what i always try first, its worth a try
hand tight always on the new plugs, dont crank them.
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic