Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'78 Martinique Issues - Seek Advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Buck4U View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck4U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '78 Martinique Issues - Seek Advice
    Posted: April-02-2010 at 1:23am
Hey Guys,

I purchased a 1978 Martinique with the 351 Ford motor in January, and am having some issues with it.

I have had the boat on the water during the pre-sale test run, and once since then. No issues at all on the first trip out, but the second trip didn't go quite as smoothly.

Basically, issues were thus: Engine always starts just fine, and idles normally. Once the engine was shut down after being warmed up (in the middle of the freakin' lake), it would not re-start. The engine would turn over repeatedly, but not catch. When I removed the carb hood, I did notice a fair amount of fuel, but I had pumped the throttle several times in the re-start attempt. I did not try starting it at WOT; didn't occur to me.

A nice fisherman was kind enough to tow me back in, and when I made it to the ramp, it started back up just fine, and I was able to load the boat. When I did load the boat, I noticed some of the carpet covering had come off the guides and wrapped around the prop (perhaps this is what caused the initial shut-down). I was also in a very shallow man-made lake, but I stayed in the deep part the whole time, so the possibilities of a prop strike were pretty small.

After doing a lot of reading, it sounds like I may need a carb rebuild. I've priced the kit, and the owner of the local shop will install the kit for $40, which may be worth it, since I haven't ever rebuilt a carb (just cleaned a few).

I want to make sure that when I take my friends and I out this summer we don't get stuck in the middle of the lake. I think my best bet right now would be to take it back to the lake again, and run it for a while and see if anything happens. In your opinions, what do you think would be the best test-run circumstances would be?

Basically, I guess I really just need to know what I need to check to make sure I have a boat that is mechanically sound enough to get through this next season. I know how to get a car ready for a road trip, but not how to get a boat ready for summer season. Any advice you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated.
JHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 2:24am
Next time it stops on you pull the coil wire see if you are getting a spark. Ignition coils can stop working when they get hot. Once they cool back down they can work again. I had the same problem on my 78 Mercruiser. I replaced the original coil did not get stranded again.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 3:02am
JHH has a good point about the coil. It will be very hot when this occurs.
It sounds like you shut it down out in the middle of the lake. Ride around and get the motor warmed up, then take it back to dock and shut it down. Look in carb and see if fuel is still seeping. If so, then floats may be set too high. This will flood the motor.
If it is the coil getting hot, the motor will start missing after a while and then shut down on its own when spark is lost. This can be prevented by standing coil upright and making sure that the coil is not touching the intake to transfer heat.

Let us know how the test ride goes.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Buck4U View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck4U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 3:53pm
Okay. I will check the coil as well, and try your suggestion, Critter. Thanks a lot, guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic