NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mufflers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
carloscabanas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mufflers
    Posted: January-06-2010 at 12:06am
After doing a bit of searching on the site there is not much about mufflers. I have a 93 SNOB and I'm installing stainless steel exhaust manifolds (hi-tek). I think I also need to replace the fiberglass Tube muffler as it has unraveled on the starboard side. I have had a couple incidents with overheating and blew one of the exhaust hoses on the starboard side as well. I looked on ski-dim and couldn't find the fiberglass exhaust tube. Are they obsolete? What is the best option for reduced noise while still giving a HP advantage?

Thanks,
Carlos
Come and ski/wakeboard in Belize!! Check out my website!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 2:14am
Originally posted by carloscabanas carloscabanas wrote:

After doing a bit of searching on the site there is not much about mufflers.

Yea you found it all then Carlos.Not many here believe in them I guess. I do however have them on mine. I had them custom made,but can't remember where I got them from. This is the company that makes them-
URL=http://www.engines1.com/marine_mufflers.html]Marine Muffler Corp[/URL]
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 8:56am
They are still available, as I have seen them recently on one of the correct craft parts sites, although at the moment I cant remember which one. Try the Boat Dr. he will know. You could just eliminate them by replacing them with tubing. (copper or stainless)
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 10:00am
Carlos,
There isn't a HP advantage with any muffler. They restrict the flow no matter what the design is. Just as Charlie (Brady) mentioned, most will remove the in lines and replace with tubing. The in lines only knock the db's down maybe by 5 anyway.

Gary,
Looks like you may be next in line for a stringer job!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 12:34pm
Carlos,

I would just get rid of them and run stainless all the way back.

Where do you ride in Belize? I have been there a couple times. I think site member Tullfooter is headed there on a cruise stop. He was inquiring about any members being there.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 12:41pm
I'm on Ambergris Caye. I have never actually opened our waterski/wakeboard business as there are a lot of restrictions here to protect jobs for the locals. Right now my wife and I manage www.TranquilityBayResort.com but there is not really a good place to ride or ski close by. Basically we will just ski when the weather lets us!

How do I run stainless.... just buy tubing? What about the curves? Do I still use rubber exhaust hose to connect the parts? I'm guessing it's better to run dual exhaust?

Carlos
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 1:05pm
I stayed at Blackbird one time I was there.

You would need to get a mandrel bent stainless pipe to go from the manifold down to the bilge and then connect to a straight pipe with the exhaust hose.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 6:07pm
Anyone got more pics of their set-up? Is the ss tubing something that I should get from a specific supplier... does it come pre-cut and formed? If I need to find ss tubing what is the thickness recommended?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 6:19pm
I got mine from Summit. I bought U bent tubes and cut to the correct angle I needed.

See if this search link will work. You will need to find the right size and stainless for your exhaust system.

Summit pipes

Mike N

1968 Mustang

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 7:50pm
Carloscanabas
I missed you last Wednesday.
It would have been fun, running into a CCFan member in Belize. We had a great time in the short time we were there. The people were very friendly. I didn't see any CC's, but did see a lot of boats on dry land. We went zip lining, what a blast. Sorry to here about all the rain you've had lately. It closed down the cave exploring because of flooding. I'll catch you next time I'm in your hood. Beers are on me at the Smoking Mermaid.
BTW, What are mufflers.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 8:01pm
Tull

I'm pretty sure that I have the only CC in Belize. I live 12 miles north of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Not really cost effective to go to Belize City for a beer. :) We've got an off shore breeze today.... if only the boat was in the water.

Carlos

P.S. which thread has the most pictures of engines on it?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:02pm
Carlos, I have a very close personal friend that lives in your town.His name is Victor Ferrero,born , and owns land there at the water front.
He is a native that lived in the US for a number of years before taking his sail boat back down.Victor is about 60 years old, and will have a very young native on his arm.Super guy, ask anyone in the village there where can you find Victor.
Tell him you are a friend of Billy and Karen Sutton.He does not know of this site, so ask him if he is a sailor.The next question will be if he knows any rednecks in Louisiana.
I sailed his boat from Fort Walton to Key West a couple of years ago, then bailed because of a brewing hurricane below Cuba.He eventualy got the cat down there only to sell it to a local.Possibly the only 36 foot McGregor Catamaran in Belize.
I see him here when he comes back to visit...........SMALL WORLD
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 2:16am
Carlos, a 93 would have originally come with a vernay muffler and been a realitively quiet boat, if you dont replace it with the same it will be significatly louder.. some like that some dont.. the relative thread for removing the vernay muffler and replacing with stainless pipes is   this one.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 10:43am
Carlos - It is possible to repair your current invertaflow mufler using epoxy resin & fiberglass cloth. It will be the easiest path for resolution of your problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Carlos - It is possible to repair your current invertaflow mufler using epoxy resin & fiberglass cloth. It will be the easiest path for resolution of your problem.

I was thinking about repairing it but I don't know much about the muffler itself. As it is unwinding on the inside I will have to cut it completely open to glass the interior and then glass it back together. I assume the muffler is filled with baffles?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 11:41am
Boat Dr. I don't know Mr. Ferrero but i will ask some of my friends who know lots of people. I actually live 12 miles north of town with the only access being by boat. When I'm in town I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cutoff getting supplies.

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Carlos, I have a very close personal friend that lives in your town.His name is Victor Ferrero,born , and owns land there at the water front.
He is a native that lived in the US for a number of years before taking his sail boat back down.Victor is about 60 years old, and will have a very young native on his arm.Super guy, ask anyone in the village there where can you find Victor.
Tell him you are a friend of Billy and Karen Sutton.He does not know of this site, so ask him if he is a sailor.The next question will be if he knows any rednecks in Louisiana.
I sailed his boat from Fort Walton to Key West a couple of years ago, then bailed because of a brewing hurricane below Cuba.He eventualy got the cat down there only to sell it to a local.Possibly the only 36 foot McGregor Catamaran in Belize.
I see him here when he comes back to visit...........SMALL WORLD
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 12:15pm
Joe thank you for the link... exactly what I was looking for!

Carlos
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 2:40pm
Billy,   for some reason I thought Victor was from Placencia.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 2:52pm
That is where he lived before moving to the states. His parents owned a lot of land on the coast, this is where he chose to roost.He still has relatives there but chose Ambergris Caye for his final rest stop.
He has a friend there named Randall,with that combo where would you roost?Warm water,young natives to cook and clean, ocean front property with no snow, and Randall always close, you do the math.........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 3:01pm
Hahahahahaha. gotcha.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 1:39am
Wow !Im impressed, Its A small world.
xjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 10:20pm
the complete muffler is avail from nautiqueparts.com for $425 or $25 fiberglass kit will repair it
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:23pm
Vernay or invertaflow are the same I guess...I blew mine a couple of times. And was always able to repair it. The inside desing it quite simple....I´ll try to make a drawing so you can figure it out..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:41pm

sorry my basic skills
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:56pm
I would go the got pipes way but I have a family and duals its a little loud for the kid jajaj.
What I did to raise up the db a little was to eliminate the rubber hose that goes from the muffler exit to the sten, and put a ss pipe instead..It change the tone quite well!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:00pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic