NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

? about a Ford front dampner

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? about a Ford front dampner
    Posted: June-09-2009 at 10:26pm
Does anyone have a picture of a right hand rotation dampner? Are they different between right hand rotation and left hand, meaning timing marks? I'm thinking I have a standard left hand rotation one. Here's a pic, the tape was added so I could see the marks and it matches the ones stamped into it,but the more I think of it,they seem backwards. Any thoughts?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 10:43pm
I think it should be exactly bacerds.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:12pm
That is right , they are backwards. I bought the Summit universal small block Ford and marked the 12 degrees or whatever on the other side of zero and ran with it. I have been happy. The elastomer or whatever between the rings of the damper will deteriorate over time and the damper itself will go out of balance. Crazy vibes at 1500-2000 RPM.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:14pm
Gary,
I think it's backwards too. The degree markings are after TDC.

You could always read them in a mirror!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 1:00am
The good Doctor called early this evening ,sure enough it's a left rotation dampner. No problem with that, I just need to get a timing tape that has the degrees on both sides of TDC. Thanks guy's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2009 at 3:33pm
Gary, my '71 has a LH damper as well- its gotta be original. Threw me for a loop the first time I set the timing! Just put the tape on backwards- TDC is still in the same spot, obviously.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, my '71 has a LH damper as well- its gotta be original. Threw me for a loop the first time I set the timing!

I'll bet that was fun. I bought a LH but knew I was doing it, so I just transfered the marks. This was on my '79 and the counterweights were the same.

It's running good...how can it be 20 degrees off?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 2:11am
When I bought the tape I didn't get to see it first and had thought they would just put the marks before and after TDC. Not thinking I put it on when I did the heads. Just put in a new set of points and in the back of my mind it's saying somethings not right. Knowing the original 289 block had been changed to a 302,I thought they must have used an automotive dampner,now who knows
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic