Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for a 229-1900 Chrysler cam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
O-Town Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a 229-1900 Chrysler cam
    Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:07am
My father in law has a Chrysler 318 in his CC boat. After reading about the Clevite cam in a few of Reid's post we started looking for one through various places with no luck. Anyone have or know someone who has one that they will part with? Dave.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 6:32pm
is it a reverse rotation?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 12:40am
Yes it is.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 12:50am
Then im no help sorry ha.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 1:01am
It's not a standard grind cam, from what I've read & looked at the spec's its like a 340 Hi-po cam but cut reverse.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 1:03am
OH yea, I'm willing to shell out some long green fo one dave.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 11:34am
Dave,
There has to be one out there somewhere!! Just in case there isn't, I do know that with real old engine restorations that the cams are built back up by welding and then re ground. Finding a shop to do it would be the next big problem!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 12:09pm
I'm searching as well for you Dave. I had several but they've been used up. You've probably already found the standard rev rot cam, which could be reground to this spec but would probably require new/longer pushrods with an adjustable valve train. Would that be the case maybe, PhatsZach?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 7:59pm
Reid I gave some thought to having one reground, But I'd still have to find a core so the engine would not be down long. the adjustable rockers would not be a problem & I also thought about using a 1.6 rocker to pick up some more valve lift. I'm a Big mopar lover so naturally I know most of the standard rotation stuff well. Luckily somewhere down the line someone swapped in a freshwater system so Aluminum heads & intake are probably in it's future.Here is the type of stuff I mess with. It's a R3 block with W9 heads.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 8:02pm
Shouldn't need different push rods if its a hydro lifter cam with the correct specs. My 360 in the car is running stock valvetrain and push rods with .484 lift cam. If you can't find a cam I would call up RacerBrown(dono the number) they are a really big mopar/custom grind cam place and are well known. They would probably be able to make what your looking for reasonably price wise.

If you are going for a hipo setup a cheap upgrade over the 318 heads would be any set of 360/340 heads from any year. bigger valves and much larger runners. Only problem with those is the loss of compression due to larger combustion chambers which could be sloved with minor milling.

Reid is the dis. gear on the cam in the mopar boats different?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 8:05pm
Dave your hot stuff. haha. R3 block and w9 heads damn even roller cam bearings. Im thinking about throwing a 408 stroker in my dads 70 cuda with some w2 iron heads and see what I can do with it looks like you know your mopar stuff and have probably heard of racer brown.

Since your big on the standard rotation stuff you could always send your tranny for the boat to eric and have him switch it to a standard rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 8:12pm
that engine is for My Challenger Convertible. it will be twin turbo'd when it's ever finished. Here is a treat for you, It's a crank out of one of the Mopar 24 hr of Le Mans prototype cars .
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 1:50am
Yummy, thats weird how it only has the counter weights on the ends. I have a 99 dakota R/T that I want to do a twin turbo 408 project on eventually instead of doing it to an older car. What year is the challenger? I would imagine you would have to throw some pretty beefy sub frame connectors and torque boxes under that being a drop top to keep that TT motor from twisting it in half ha.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 2:20pm
It's a flat crank or a 180* throw. Most all American engines have a 90* index.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 8:13pm
Nice I didnt notice that. Thats how the turbo 2.2/2.5 chrysler motors are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 12:35am
I have one of those also,91 Spirit R/T. I'll even take a stock rev rot cam if anyone has one.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 2:28pm
Nice dave Id like to have one of those. I have a 88 csx-t and a turbo 4 door 90 shadow.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 11:36pm
Dave, the new stock rev rot cam is still available. I can get you one if you can't find a cheaper route via ebay, etc, as the best I can do thru my source is like $270 delivered. I've seen the stock and upgrade pieces for $75 on ebay, but only occassionally.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 1:01am
Reid, All I ever see is the standard listed on E bay,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 12:57am
Camshaft, M340 - M360 CCW/RH
Are the spec's on this cam larger than the standard 318 cam? Any #'s for spec's?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 2:21pm
Dave,
You must be living right!! I've found one of the 340-275 rev rot cams and will have it in the next few days, after which I'll forward it on to you. Best thing is, it did come thru Ebay though not directly, so the price is RIGHT! Please send me an email to "reidp@bellsouth.net" with your info, or you can just call if you like, 704-451-5080, and I'll fill you in on the details. Now start looking for those "X" or "J" heads. Wait, didn't this conversation happen with Phats some time ago.

EDIT: In regards to the cam listed, Marysville Marine, the main vintage Chrysler source, shows that as the standard 318 rev rot cam. Furthermore, they don't show any higher perf spec ever being available directly from Chrysler. So I guess they all came thru the aftermarket providers, i.e., Clevite, Melling, Wolverine, SpeedPro. Ironically, all of these suppliers show the same spec(s) for the cam we're searching for from Clevite (229-1900), as well as identical specs for Ford and GM cams. Then I was informed that a company called Camshaft Machinery Inc, cut the cams for everyone.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 1:56am
Cool Reid! your the man! the one thing I like about the fresh water system Is that it's all set up like the automotive counterpart & will respond to all those tricks,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 2:35am
Here are the auto specs for the 340 cam
Duration @ .50 lift: 209/220
Duration @ .06/Rocker Ratio lift: 279/289
Gross Valve Lift: .429/.444
The hi-po marine cam does have the same specs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O-Town Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 2:46pm
Here is the holy grail of R/H mopar cams! Thanks Reid!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic