NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator question/advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator question/advice
    Posted: October-21-2008 at 12:52pm
The alternator on my 78 Ski Tique only puts out 12.7 Volts on the alternator post at idle. It jumps up to over 14 at anything above an idle. I like just putting around the lake but with the lights and blower on the battery goes down. Question?? Should I try to have the alternator rebuilt or should I just buy a new one. It is and old one with external voltage regulator and Amp meter on the dash. Like I said it charges fine when not idling. Thanks for any advice.

Skip
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 2:01pm
I would update to the newer model with internal regulator. I did on my boat as voltage regulator problems overheated it two times which melted solder and wires loose internally. I bought a new regulator and that one didn't work right either. The upgrade was well worth it!

Matt

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 2:45pm
I upgraded to the solid state regulator years ago and never have had any issues since. From what i have read most alternators dont put out full voltage till over 1500 rpm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic