NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil in antifreeze

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tadpole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil in antifreeze
    Posted: October-10-2008 at 11:58am
I just finished winterizing my boat and while pouring RV antifreeze though the engine, some oil came out of the exhaust with the antifreeze. Is this normal or should I be thinking about a valve job or the like?

Thank you.
Joe Harris
1993 Ski Nautique
1993 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2008 at 12:04pm
Joe,
Did the oil look like engine or trans oil?
What procedure do you use to get the RV antifreeze in? Suck from a bucket through the oil cooler or pour in from a upper hose? Did you drain the engine first?

We'll get you some answers! You've found a graet site. Welcome.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tadpole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:39pm
I poured the antifreeze directly through the hose that connects from the thermostat. There wasn't alot of oil, just enough to float on the first gallon of excess antifreeze. Poured in five gallons and three came out the exhaust. Should I leave it as is, or should I drain the engine again. The engine was drained before I poured in the antifreeze and the engine was warm so the thermostat was open. Thanks for the reply.
1993 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:59pm
Joe,
Leave it as is. Sounds like the engine is very protected for the winter. You don't need to worry about the T stat being open or not. The antifreeze will flow backwards through the engine circulating pump into the bottom of the block. Even if the T stat is closed, they have a weep hole that will vent the air from the top of the block.

You said you drained the engine - good. Don't forget about the trans oil cooler. Some will have a drain plug in them but if not, it's just as easy to remove the bottom hose (water).

Regarding the oil coming out of the exhaust. Exhaust valve guide/seals may be putting some oil out the tail end. Oil usage? Are you getting any blue smoke out of the exhaust? That would indicate it may be time for a top end job. The real way to tell is to run a compression check and leak down test.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic