NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so that’s what it’s like...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: so that’s what it’s like...
    Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:40pm
I couldn't help it. I was planning on putting the Mustang up for the year after our Labor Day lake trip but last Sunday was so nice we just had to bring her out. Having a lake 10 miles down the road just makes it so easy.

Glad we did. She ran great. There was hardly a soul on the lake and it was nice and smooth. After she warmed up a bit, we just cruised around loving every minute of it. Nothing like our Labor Day trip with the lake full of people and choppy waters. This was the second real time for me to driver her and I think I got the feel of it now. She seems to love that 25-30 mph cruising spot.

I adjusted my throttle cable a bit and it seem to fix my shifting problem I mentioned in my last post. Still have smoke coming from the oil cap, I really didn't expect that to change. Think I have water leaking from around the exhaust as well. The only other issue I have noticed is she had trouble restarting after we sat for a while. Took a lot of cranking and had to pump the throttle all the way forward to get her going. Strange.

Now I'm ready to keep going until it gets cold. I'm sure we can find a few more weekends in the year.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:48pm
might want to concider a carb rebuild over the winter, these boats are a little on the rich side on start up when they are hot so it not uncommon to have to give it some gas to get it to fire. There are other issue that can cause your problem but most are within the carb.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:41pm
Those uber quiet, calm, leaves-changing-color, lake to yourself, boat running like a top, maybe even get a ski run in, autumn outings are the best. Always look forward to getting a couple of those in in the fall.

The only exception to wanting no one else out on the lake is hoping someone else might be out there (preferably a fisherman or someone on a dock so as to not mess up the water) to marvel at your great vintage boat or the fact that you are skiing in October.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:30pm
It's also nice to have a couple of boats around just in case you need a tow.

I rebuilt the carb first thing this year. I did run the boat a lot longer this trip so maybe that had something to do with the starting issue.

Trying to decide what to do with her over the winter. I was hoping to replace the stringers and rebuild the engine but it's looking like it's not going to be in next years budget. May not be able to do much of anything really. I was hoping to at least do the stringers but looks like that alone would be around $2K.

After talking with a couple of people about the engine, common folks not mechanics, they suggest leaving it alone. "If it works don't touch it, it might get messed up." Now these are not the types of folks that would restore and old boat but do they have a point? Perhaps just repaint and replace any outer parts that might need replacing but leave the insides alone.

Guess I have the budget for a few smaller items, wiring, switches, new windshield, maybe upholstery. I have patterns for side panels, want to rebuild those, as well as the seats. I have some swivel buckets in there now. Really not sure what the original 69 seats looked like, are they the same as the 68's in the brochure? Weren't those frames made of wood? I can fabricate that for sure.

Anyway, too much to think about. Any opinions?

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Guess I have the budget for a few smaller items, wiring, switches, new windshield, maybe upholstery.

The wiring and switches may be "smaller" repairs, but dont expect the windshield or interior to be cheap! In fact, you wont likely be able to find a windshield at all- according to Boat Dr, he got the last one. And that was $$$ (I suspect >$500).

Regarding the upholstery, $1000 would be a rough number considering you have an upholstered motorbox. '68 was the last year for the wooden based seats- the '69+ buckets would have had aluminum bases and looked like this:

I need a set of these myself, and will be making a set of fiberglass buckets at some point- possibly over the winter.

If you have the time and space to work on the boat over the winter, I would put the money towards the stringers. I think $2k is a very high estimate- $1200-1500 should take care of a 16' boat pretty easily.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:49pm
might just need to fine tune the carb a little then, might have the float just a shade high or a bad choke stat or chke setting, does the starter seem a little slower when it's hot vs cold, that would be a sign of the timing being a little to advanced.
doesn't sound to major of an issue. what shape are the plugs, cap and rotor in?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 6:04pm
Yeah I guess it all adds up for sure. Possibly the stringers. We will see.

I so have the aluminum mounts on my seats. Was the frame of the 69's seats aluminum as well or fiberglass? I was under the impression that the more square seats like in the 68 brochure had wooden frames. Am I wrong?

Wish I could find that steering wheel too.

As for the windshield, I was going to call around and see if someone might could fabricate one. I don't expect it to be cheap. $500 seems pretty fair I guess.

79, it could very well be the choke, I have not quite figured the adjustments out on it yet. Although I know it opens when warm so I didn't figure that was it. Plugs are brand new. Cap and rotor are not new.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

I so have the aluminum mounts on my seats. Was the frame of the 69's seats aluminum as well or fiberglass? I was under the impression that the more square seats like in the 68 brochure had wooden frames. Am I wrong?

Wish I could find that steering wheel too.

I should have been more clear- there are 2 parts to the '69+ seats: the aluminum frames, and the fiberglass shell. If your non-original seats still sat on the original frames, youre in luck! The fiberglass shells are nearly impossible to come by- but like I said, it shouldnt be a tremendous task to fab them yourself.

Youre correct that the '68 and earlier seats are much squarer and have wooden bases. These would likely be easier to create if youre starting from scratch. If you go that route, let me know if you decide to sell your aluminum frames!

Keep an eye out for the steering wheel- Ive seen a few different boats of the same vintage with them- so they werent a Correct Craft specific part. If you could find a boat scrapyard near you, that would be a good place to look.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 6:32pm
Thanks for the info TRBenj. Keep us informed and take some pic if you decided to fabricate those seats. Might have to try and tackle that someday.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 1:15am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I need a set of these myself, and will be making a set of fiberglass buckets at some point- possibly over the winter.

Would you consider making a few extra? I would like to replace mine to the bucket (sorry Pete) and I don't have the skills. I have tried to buy one from Paul Carpenter but they are few are far between. There might be a few other guys interested..might be worht your while.

Thanks

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Would you consider making a few extra? I would like to replace mine to the bucket (sorry Pete) and I don't have the skills. I have tried to buy one from Paul Carpenter but they are few are far between. There might be a few other guys interested..might be worht your while.

Thanks

john

John, if and when I decide to build some, Ill keep you in mind.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 2:49am
Thanks Tim.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic