Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam/Stringers on 1992 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam/Stringers on 1992 Sport Nautique
    Posted: September-30-2008 at 6:14pm
Hey all,

I installed a new sound system in my '92 Sport and had a drill a couple holes in the floor to run some wires. It was with alot of fear and trepidation that I did that...I sighted in the stringers and wanted to make sure I didnt drill into them, etc. Anyway, I drilled a hole right next to the ski locker area and hit some foamy stuff. This got me to thinking (which is a scary thing)...

Is it safe to assume my '92 Sport has wood stringers in fiberglass, and is the entire hull under the floor area filled with the foam all around the stringers?

My boat has always been kept indoors and is in super shape, and I intend to keep it that way, so I've never worried about the "soaked foam" thing. But I've always assumed my boat had the foam (and I guess it does since my drill bit brought some up) and wonder about how my boat is constructed.

Any info you could provide would be great. Knowledge is power. In my case, it may be dangerous.

Happy boating,

Dave

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Daveinater Daveinater wrote:

Anyway, I drilled a hole right next to the ski locker area and hit some foamy stuff.

Is it safe to assume my '92 Sport has wood stringers in fiberglass, and is the entire hull under the floor area filled with the foam all around the stringers?

My boat has always been kept indoors and is in super shape, and I intend to keep it that way, so I've never worried about the "soaked foam" thing.

Dave

Yes, 92 was the last year with wood.

Don't drill the holes and your chances are less that you will get water in the foam!

You intentions are good with keeping the boat in good shape but your methodology isn't.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Double Up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:32pm
I have a 90 sport nautique. I just bought it and the guy that owned it before me put pedestal seats in it and did not seal the hole. Anyway long story short. i brought it to a fiberglass place to have the floor worked on and every person there was impressed with the boat. They said that all the foam was bone dry, That the boat was built extremely well. They even said with all of that foam they thought that the boat was literally un-sinkable.

i would not be worried about your boat. But be careful to seal any holes.
1990 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Double Up Double Up wrote:

But be careful to seal any holes.

Please don't use silicone. Have you ever noticed how it will peel off after awhile? It doesn't stick to anything and consequently doesn't seal very well. 3M 5200 comes in small tubes for the small jobs.

I hate silicone!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:07am
Double up, they said that about the Titanic
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:00pm
Good thinking all. Thanks. I'll use the 5200 to seal it real good. Since the hole is in the area near my 12 inch Infinity Kappa Perfect V12 sub, I'll throw my kids overboard before I let the bow get swamped w/ water and get that thing wet.

Okay, maybe my wife will go over first. No, wait...college is expensive...it'll be the kids.

Dave
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:26pm
Like your boat!!! nice colour combination!!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 4:11pm
Thanks....it's unusual, that's for sure!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic