NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:58pm
Without pumping gallons upon gallons through the engine you do not know how diluted your A/F is with the water that started in the block.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by jb_dallas jb_dallas wrote:

We have temps in the teens, so I am playing it safe by administering antifreeze. The fact is that it works for my location..has for 3 years..and will for another 20.

Jb, I agree that considering your location, it works for you. My asking about you testing for the freeze protection level was just curiosity to see how well of a mix you're getting. A before and after test would be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

sad thing about it since you are in Texas all you need to do is drain the block and call it a day.

Even in Texas, I would add the RV antifreeze to prevent rust scale from building up inside the block.
jb_dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb_dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:28pm
I use regular antifreeze and I do pump 3-4 gallons (strong mix) through the system. After I get it up to operating temperature, it has had plenty of time to mix with the water in the lines/block/strainer, then I test the mix. If it tests over 5 to 10 degrees...it is plenty stong for this location. I think this method would work fine anywhere, just start with a stronger mix. Fortunantely, I dont have to worry about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic