Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stinger measurements for ’80 ski?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stinger measurements for ’80 ski?
    Posted: September-25-2008 at 2:38am
I am new to the site, but have been a nautique owner for 4 years. I am selling my '94 ski and rebuilding a 1980. I have learned a lot from all your great posts. I was wondering if anyone had a list of the lumber that I need to do the stingers? I took my own, but wanted to double check and be sure I had more than enough. I will get some pics up of the project. Thanks in advance for you help. oh...and the '80 was free from a friend that wanted it out of his yard and on the water. Good friend.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 6:06pm
I am guessing 1X6 for the outstide stringers and 2X12 for the inside??? I was wondering if I could get 2X6 for the inside stringers and then just add on top of the back of the stinger where the gas tank sits. That seems to be the only purpose for the 1 foot area that is 12 inches. Anyone know if this sounds right?
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 9:49am
coach,
Sorry no one has gotten back to you sooner. It's unusual on this site! It may be due to a confusion on the model of 80 you have. Is it a Barefoot with the V hull? I'm asking because you have mentioned some rather tall lumber (2x12)!!

Have you come across this thread? weedin the pumpkin patch

Sit down with a drink of your choice and prepare yourself for some reading!

Yes, scabbing on blocking for extra height under the gas tank is fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:45am
      "and the '80 was free from a friend that wanted it out of his yard and on the water."
      Coach80

Hey Coach- I hope you don't feel taken???!!!! LOL
Are those splash guards on the front- I don't think I have seen that before.
There are a number of good threads dealing with stringers but it does require an investment in time. You will find that most of the threads have a fair share of banter but you end up feeling like you have known the fan members for years. We look forward to seeing your progress and I bet there are some fan members in your area.
70 Mustang project
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, scabbing on blocking for extra height under the gas tank is fine.

CC did this from the factory on mine. The stringers were 1 piece front to back with a 7-8 degree wedge under the tank.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:31am
Greg, what do you think about using 5/4x6 cedar for the outer stringers?
Ian Sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 5:06pm
Ceder is way to soft of a wood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Ian Sr Ian Sr wrote:

Ceder is way to soft of a wood.

Ian, Bruce is asking about the Cedar comparing it to Doug Fir. Are you thinking about another wood besides Fir?

Depending on the exact species, Cedar is about 900 and Fir is about 600 on the Janka scale making it harder than the Fir.

Bruce, I'd be concerned about the oil in the Cedar affecting bonding. At least it's not like teak!! Also, I doubt you would be able to find it in a clear enough grade. Are you still having a problem finding the Fir locally?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 8:46pm
Pete, I'm about ready to start on it. I haven't checked on fir at the lumber yard that will have it, but I was looking at 5/4 cedar decking at HD the other day, wondering how it would work. Your right, it is full of knots.

I've only seen fir in dimesional sizes. I'm guessing the boards I'll be replacing are either 3/4" or 1", so I'll have to find someone that will rip it for me. I'm no carpenter and I don't have a table saw.
Don't want one either, they scare me.

I've been given some kind of South American hardwood for the strapping. It may be rose wood. It's the stuff you'll see on porches of high end homes. I'm told its very strong and rot resistant. What do you think about using that stuff?
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 9:45pm
8122pbrainard: Thank you for the greeting and the advice. I did read the pump.. there was very helpful information on there. i really appreciate it. my boat is the regular ski, not the barefoot and i am going to use fir. i have finally found the wood and am calling to order it tomorrow.

h20loo:
"Hey Coach- I hope you don't feel taken???!!!! LOL"

it has crossed my mind. naw...this is my dream boat. in college i rode behind this boat for 4 years with a friend and fell in love with it. my previous boat was a phantom with an 80 horse merc, so his nautique was definately an upgrade. i wanted one ever since, so i boat a '94 and love it, but now i have the opportunity to own the one i really love. i have a lot of help in the rebuild. coaching gives you good connections in town, so i have some good help in the project. thanks for all your help.

so i am going to order 1X6 and 2X6 that is what i gather...is that right
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've been given some kind of South American hardwood for the strapping. It may be rose wood. It's the stuff you'll see on porches of high end homes. I'm told its very strong and rot resistant. What do you think about using that stuff?

Bruce,
Most likely it's Ipe AKA: Ironwood. It's become almost a replacement for Teak. Very hard, heavy, wears extremely good (they use it for semi trailer floors), very rot resistant and plentiful. My only concern is the same as one of the ones I had mentioned with the Cedar. I don't know how well it will bond using epoxy. It is slightly oily but at least by using epoxy you have a good shot at it. Also since you will be backing up the joints with a layer of glass, I'd go for it. Don't use too much - it will add too much weight to the boat. We want to build that 6 cyl. up and go after Reid next year. That would give the gearheads here something to think about - a 6 doing 60 MPH!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:15pm
Pete, we're going to have to talk. I'll be calling you after I do the rest of my tear out, which was planned for today, but got cancelled due to rain. I'll call you this week. Backing up with glass? Correct Craft didn't do it like that. They just screwed the strapping down.

How's this for a 6?

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:34pm

Greg, what do you think about using 5/4x6 cedar for the outer stringers?

If you use cedar, you'll have women hanging clothes down there?!!?   LOL

Regardless of 900 to 600 whatevers, I don't think cedar is structurally as sound as fir. I tend to overbuild things anyway, but that didn't seem necessary when mine went back together with fir about where the factory put it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by coach'80 coach'80 wrote:

so i am going to order 1X6 and 2X6 that is what i gather...is that right

I needed 2x8's for the main stringers on my Tique. I would imagine a Ski Nautique would be similar. Id measure the stringer height before ordering.
Ian Sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:51pm
What I am saying is cedar is a soft wood that over time with the torque of the motor will pull on the bolt holding the motor. Fir has hard grains and will hold bolt extremely well. If I was to use any wood it would be White Oak, it might be a little heavier then Fir but it is stronger and prone to rot.
Ian Sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:56pm
Ipe is also a good wood but to oily. I have not come a cross a glue that will hold two pieces togeather. It is also realy heavy.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 1:21am
Bruce that motor is sweet!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 7:50am

Pete, Backing up with glass? Correct Craft didn't do it like that. They just screwed the strapping down.

Ok, By strapping you mean the 1x3's that run side to side on top (mortised into) the primary and secondary stringers! I was thinking about the blocking between the stringers. They would have some glass at the connections.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 7:09pm
Hi Guys

Pulled out my old stringers on my 1977/78 SN the 80 looks much the same,may be of some help or guys who have this job to do.
The main stringer is @ 151,1/2x7x11/2 in and the secondary 143,3/4x53/16x3/4 in.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 10:27pm
WOW that is great. is there any way that you can take pics like the top one every few feet so I can see where there are marks?? that is great. I am going to try and get the boards out as best i can, but some are pretty bad. if you could get me those pics i would really be sitting good incase i have a problem. thanks
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 5:47pm
Try these pic's but please check that your 1980 hull is the same I am no expert others on here know much more than me.
Good luck.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Try these pic's but please check that your 1980 hull is the same I am no expert others on here know much more than me.
Good luck.

The Ski Nautique used the same hull from 71-81, so the length and shape of the bottom of the stringers would be the same. 1980 brought about the introduction of the aluminum engine cradle though, so the top of the stringers may be different in that area.
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:59am
i really appreciate the help. i am calling the stringer order in tomorrow. i will keep you guys updated and will get some pics up. thanks again for all the great help.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic