NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot rod Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot rod Nautique
    Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:53pm

What's the best hull for the Nautique's "pinks" race and is it a drag race, flying mile or something else ? I know where theres a viper engine in a crate!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:01pm
Your ski tique would end up being a pretty fast hull, but I think the 60's 16 footers are as fast, any ski nautique before 82 has a pretty good chance with the right engine, maybe a hull massage. I think the early 60's nautique with the wooden spray rails always seem to ride high and proud and would take horsepower well. Reid will answer that one for us soon enough. Racers set thier own terms generally, my policy is get them in the rear view mirror then shut it down, at least it will be if I ever get anyone in the rear view mirror...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:08pm
According to Mr. Pinkham, the fastest (top speed) CC hull *should* be the 1st gen Ski Nautique, as it has no hook in it. My guess is that any of the 70's hulls would be close behind ('71+ 16' Mustang/Skier/Tique, '71+ Ski Nautique/Martinique, Mustang 17/American Skier). Any of the 90+ Ski Nautiques should be faster out of the hole, as they have next to zero bow rise- but that also makes them slower on the top, so their advantage is gone at speeds over 30mph.

Joe, Reid says that the 60's Mustang hull has more hook in it than the '71+ version- so the newer 16'5" hull should be a touch faster out of the box.

A V10... now that would take some custom motorbox work!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:18pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj]

Joe, Reid says that the 60's Mustang hull has more hook in it than the '71+ version- so the newer 16'5" hull should be a touch faster out of the box.
QUOTE]

Probably true but we have seen quite a few fast ones, so until someone steps up with the 71+ hull I am going to keep saying its as fast.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Probably true but we have seen quite a few fast ones, so until someone steps up with the 71+ hull I am going to keep saying its as fast.

Fair enough- I want to see that 71+ 16' built up as well. Ill get there eventually!

I believe Reid's comments hold true for the stock powerplants- he has seen a bunch of the 220hp 71+ Mustangs run 50-51 just as they came from the factory.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 3:12pm
[A V10... now that would take some custom motorbox work!]
Motor box?

The ski tique runs very well but at 51-53 mph it starts to porpoise. If I can quote Reid
"Embrace the Porpoise". I've tried to back off the throttle and ease into it with no joy, well I rather have the hole shot from hell and run it to 50 mph.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 5:53pm
This 1980 runs 74MPH on NOS, I have seen with it my own eyes, and it will do it!

I just want to get too 60mph!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj]

QUOTE]

We came close to seeing a '71+ in action at LG. Hopefully it'll be doing it's thing in a few weeks when we return.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 10:22pm
MM
You've got credabilty, I don't think that's bench racein' That prop - wish I could get a better look. He must buy those tops whole sale 'cause I know they don't last 1 pass.
My imagination is running wild ,pro-mod modified hull (pie cut wedge) 514cu in ford.
100 mph. Or maybe a T-64 turbo shaft H53e helo engine. What would it take to break
100 mph, in a lead slead nautique.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

MM
You've got credabilty, I don't think that's bench racein' That prop - wish I could get a better look. He must buy those tops whole sale 'cause I know they don't last 1 pass.
My imagination is running wild ,pro-mod modified hull (pie cut wedge) 514cu in ford.
100 mph. Or maybe a T-64 turbo shaft H53e helo engine. What would it take to break
100 mph, in a lead slead nautique.

A really good life insurance
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 10:51pm
I've seen little hotties get in a Beisemeyer
in a bikini 120 mph later get out in a thong.
My freind just got his short block back from Rehr-Morrison 700hp bb chevy. We expect it in the 1 teens, single carb on PUMP gas.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 1:08am

The ski tique runs very well but at 51-53 mph it starts to porpoise. If I can quote Reid
"Embrace the Porpoise". I've tried to back off the throttle and ease into it with no joy, well I rather have the hole shot from hell and run it to 50 mph.

Andy, I can't remember if you said you were holding on to the Tique or selling it, but if you're keeping her you can certainly look at the tabs like Billy is using. SmartTabs(?) I'd at least like to know how fast that 16 footer will run (other than 51-53) with that new 300+HP 350.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 2:31am
Very funny Luciano!

Hope all is good down south for you.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 11:16am
Ive been looking at the 300/350 as a drop in for the mustang. If the teleflex is anywhere close the 225/307 is turning the fed 12x14 5100 rpm and right about 50mph. with 75 more hp and better prop it ought to come out of the hole better and increase the top end.

A friend of mine keeps a supply of 502 boat motors around, Claims they will bolt right to the same trans I have. sounds like fun but i believe the newer boats also had an over 1-1 drive to take advantage of the additional torque didnt they?

Im trying to to get caught up in the racing, i end up racing everything i own at some point...
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 11:29am
The bell housing bolt pattern is the same for big block and small block CHEVYs. GM also has a corperate pattern for all the others.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 11:48am
Andy,

Maybe this has been covered before, but how quick is your Tique? Must move right along with that engine. Was that a transplant or a rebuild of the original. Were 350s or 351s factory options. In the diaries most all Tiques are 302s, there are a few factory 305s (like mine) and a couple 350s or 351s. Are they all transplants or were they options. Mine moves right along with the 305, yours must scream with the 350.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 12:56pm
Most Tiques were 302s maybe 75% the others 305 chevys. Mine was a 305 blue water 198 stock. It looked very well kept and ran well ect...
It took 4 years for the JB Weld to start leaking (block was cracked on both sides).Man I was - am pissed. Lieing SOB I still have that block to give back to him when I get a chance. I'll set(dump)it in his drive way sooner or later!
This IS a pretty boat I need to sell it, but if I kept it I'd put trim tabs on it.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Andy,
Were 350s or 351s factory options. In the diaries most all Tiques are 302s, there are a few factory 305s (like mine) and a couple 350s or 351s. Are they all transplants or were they options.

I'd have to say the 350's or the 351's are repowers unless they were specials. The 305 was about a $200 option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 2:16pm
Mine is an omc 225 307 chev. In my OMC owners manual it lists a 250hp option that I believe must have been a 350.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

In my OMC owners manual it lists a 250hp option that I believe must have been a 350.

That's in the OMC manual correct?

You should have the 305. Never heard of OMC doing a 307.
OMC manuals

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Andy,

Maybe this has been covered before, but how quick is your Tique? Must move right along with that engine. Mine moves right along with the 305, yours must scream with the 350.

Larry, He may be avoiding answering this question, other than stating above that he made it to 51-53 before it starting bouncing. I think he may have been scared to go any faster. You'd think 300HP would push 1600lbs to about 55 or so, as Marshall's '70 Mustang 340 Chrysler is typically good for 55-57, although it was a tad off at GL. That boat is still hanging in my boathouse and Marshall's still working out in CA, so maybe I'll beat on it a little this weekend before putting it back on the trailer. I'll try to get some video WITH a GPS in view. In the meantime, watch this video again to keep that hot rod blood pumping (perferably with the volume way up). These are both 55 mph boats although mine's in 1000 pcs right now. No need to mention about Marshall's sideways start.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 3:49pm
We've got a member that just dropped a Vortec 350 in a Skylark. I saw it 2 weeks ago. I imagine he'll be posting when it's complete, but it ought to keep up the big dogs.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 4:15pm
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/stringer_models_77.htm
(sorry I cant to the link thing)
I don't profess to be a chevy know it all, But according to my research the bastard child 307 was the omc 225 in 1975 and a couple years surrounding. Talked with Bruce at Midwest, they looked it up as a 307 as well...
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 5:46pm
[QUOTE=reidp] [QUOTE=75 Tique] Andy,

[I think he may have been scared to go any faster.]
   After it starts to porpous can you get a couple 3 mph more? big deal.
Reid I'll call you so you can hold my hand throu the quote thing. And some other stuff.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 6:06pm

[QUOTE=reidp] [QUOTE=75 Tique] Andy,

[I think he may have been scared to go any faster.]
   After it starts to porpous can you get a couple 3 mph more? big deal.
Reid I'll call you so you can hold my hand throu the quote thing. And some other stuff.

....couple 3 mph more? Big deal.???? Andy Owsiak, I know you much better than that. And there are guys on this site (you and me excluded of course) that'll sell their mom for just ONE mph.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 10:17am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

In my OMC owners manual it lists a 250hp option that I believe must have been a 350.

That's in the OMC manual correct?

You should have the 305. Never heard of OMC doing a 307.
OMC manuals

I did double check the omc manual while i was at the lake this weekend, yes the 75 came with the 225/307 and the other option was the 250/350.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 10:48am
Sean, I just stated in another post that I do need help at times too so I stand corrected regarding the 307.

The reason I asked you about the 250/350 being in your OMC manual was to verify it wasn't in the CC manual. That engine I've never heard of being offered in a Mustang.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic