Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop gel coat burn or not??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop gel coat burn or not??
    Posted: September-08-2008 at 7:17pm
Please help.

I have been happy with my ACME 540 on my '73 CC Mustang for about 3 years.

I hit a floating piece of firewood Saturday and the prop is headed back for repair.

I just noticed cuts above the prop. Do they look like burn from prop too close or do they look like debris getting slammed into the hull????

What should be my target clearance distance if getting the prop diameter reduced?

THANKS ALL!!!!

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 7:25pm
I wonder if it's possible for the shaft to flex enough so that the prop can hit the bottom of the hull.

It looks like prop strike scars on the backs of manatees.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 9:04pm
Randell, The big gouges are from the debris you hit but to me it also looks like the start of prop burn as well. It's the small pitting and the dulling of the gel. The recommended clearance to the hull is 10% of the prop diameter but rarely is it followed. If you have the prop OD decreased, it will have the same effect as reducing the prop pitch. You need to check your shaft for straightness as well as the alignment.

Mark, If the shaft flexed enough to cause the damage, then he would have a very bent shaft!!

Randell, When posting pictures, use the enter key between them. It will stack the pictures from top to bottom instead of side to side. it just makes the threads easier to read. You can go back in and edit it if you want to give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 11:29pm
Thanks.
While the prop is in, I will go ahead and get it trimmed down. It looks like I have been pushing the limits. I have been VERY happy with the prop. The boat will throw your head back at all speeds. Maybe it will run even smoother after the change.

I will try for 1'' to 1.5'' clearance

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 1:49am
Randall, have you grabbed the strut and tried to move it, if I was a betting man I would say that is damage from the BLADE HITTING THE BOAT. Debris or flotsam just will not give the circular cutouts as a blade will.......Just my opinion.....Boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 9:07am
I do now concure with Billy. The gouges do look like they are from the prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 9:20am
Wouldn't the prop have to be moving fore and aft to make the gouges in different spots fore and aft? Unless the prop is so badly bent that one of the blades is nearly an inch off from another.

If it's moving up and down and fore and aft that much he should be checking for a lot more problems with shaft, tranny and engine mounts etc.

My vote is for whatever he hit having been jammed in between the hull and the prop and moving in the same arc as the prop blades, but I would love to know what really happened.

1989 SN 2001
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:00am
I dont know that you will get an 1", I measured my 75 mustang over the weekend and it only had 7/8" max with a 12" prop. The 13" 540 would have left me with 3/8". Even with the 12.5" I will only have 5/8" clear.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 8:33pm
Sure it was not already there and you are just now noticing it?

randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:51pm
I am mailing the prop to ACME in Michigan today.   It is in for basic repair and also they are going to take off a .5 inch and make it a 12.5'' (just like the new ACME 1210 model). I will reply back and let everyone know how much clearance I have after that.

I pulled the prop off last night. The strut and everything are rock solid (as I pulled hard on the wrench to get the last torque on the puller).

I have only been out 3 full ski days this summer. The boat feels fine as wine. I have never had any problems with the 540. I have LOVED the prop for 3.5 years. Although the boat is like a 1970s muscle car and not a $50,000 new Nautique.

I hit a piece of firewood in the lake. I found it afterward. It was water logged with soft exterior. I don't think the scrapes came from it.

It is a mystery. The scrapes were not there last year. I have always been a little conscious of the close clearance. The distance between the two scrapes is too far. I would bet I got into some small rock of the right size to do it. Although the shape of the scrapes does tend to look like repeated revolution hits intead of a one time debris slam.

THANKS GUYS for the input and conversation.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 6:20pm
thats the part # 1210 i just ordered. I really hope it makes as much differance as everybody says. Guess ill find out this weekend if the weather is good.
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 10:57pm
My boat has the same marks. Previous owner hit something bending the strut shaft and rudder, prop strike caused it. Those cuts look old, sure they werent there from before? Also, they are out of line, like they were caused by 1 or 2 revolutions from a very bent shaft and propeller, just like mine.
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic