NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fix the old or buy new?????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fix the old or buy new?????
    Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:36pm
Its coming to the point where I need to make a decision on my boat.

I have a 1986 2001. The hull is probably a 8.5/10. It has around 1700 hours on it, with excellent maintenance its whole life. The steering cable was replaced in 2007. This spring (spring 2008) I had the tranny rebuilt, put a new shaft, coupler, and strut bearings. The engine runs excellent and all of the gauges work. The original interior needs some work but is functional.

The stringers are going to need some work. I have no doubt they can make it another summer but it seems like this fall/early winter would be the ideal time to do them along with the floor.

My wife and I use the boat for mainly skiing, for entertaining we have the pontoon. Typically we ski about 4-5 days a week splitting the time with our friends boats. No kids (yet)...so plenty of time to ski.

Here is the question....

1. Put new floor/stringers in. I'm figuring $2500 and two-three months of spare time to do it. I have the tools and I'm not mechanically challenged so the work is not a big deal....its the time issue.

2. Sell the boat as is. I figure I can easily get $7500 out of it. Find a 196 or something with a TSC hull for around $15-$18K.

So thats the decision for this fall.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:39pm
Didn't you just rebuild the engine?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Didn't you just rebuild the engine?

No it turned out to be the distributor cap arcing between cylinders causing the knock. New cap and wires and it runs like new again.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:52pm
Drive a newer one and see if you'd rather have that boat. As you use it for skiing, you may prefer the later model boat. If not, keep the classic.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 4:07pm
you gonna finance or pay cash?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 4:45pm
Cash.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 4:53pm
Don't dump any more money into the old one, trade up to a TSC1. They can be had for less than $15K right now. There was a 99 in Denver for $14500 a little while ago, the guy couldn't give it away and it was a very decent boat. Biggest issue I see for you is getting $7500 out of a 86 with 1700 hours that needs stringers, I think thats a stretch in this buyers market.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 5:00pm
There will be a pretty significant difference in wake, handling, interior space, performance, fuel economy and maintenance going to a 97'+ boat. If your numbers are correct, say $9k to upgrade, taking away the $2.5k in material to do a stringer job and the many man hours required, that's a real cost of $6.5k to upgrade.

I know I would be shopping!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 3:18am
I figure I can easily get $7500 out of it.
I wonder how easy that's gonna be. A year ago: yes. Right now: I doubt it.
slalomjunky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 5:35am
upgrade to a newer model. You will love the experience. If you go 94 and newer you will not have the stringer problems(all composite). new floor and stringers for an old boat with a lot of hours on the old 351 is alot to put into it. If you hve the cash go for the upgrade!
Utah '94 Ski, '03 Malibu SS LXI
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by slalomjunky slalomjunky wrote:

If you go 94 and newer you will not have the stringer problems(all composite).

Wasn't 93' was the first year of all composite construction?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 1:04pm
people have a tendency to forget abot finance charges when they buy a boat, so that 20k boat turns into a 30k after all done and said
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Cash.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:24pm
Thread jack..sorry

Hey Alan..have a great trip but be careful when you hit the I71/Rt 303 exit for brunstucky when you head for eric. You'll be distracted by the sound of banjos. Just ignore it and keep moving as fast as possible.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Biggest issue I see for you is getting $7500 out of a 86 with 1700 hours that needs stringers, I think thats a stretch in this buyers market.

1700 hours is not as much of a deal as the stringers that need replacement.

A prospective buyer would get quotes that may be 4-5k to do the stringers. That would prompt them to talk you down a lot or walk away.

When I bought my '78 in like 01 or 02 from a CC dealer(I cannot remember without pulling my file)I paid 4500 for it knowing it needed an interior redo, and the floor was soft in a few spots. It only had a little over 200 hours on it at the time. I did not even expect to have to pull the floor to get the wet foam out. So someone that would know that the floor, stringers, and at least the carpeting redone would really want to talk you down.
JM2pennies.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

There will be a pretty significant difference in wake, handling, interior space, performance, fuel economy and maintenance going to a 97'+ boat. If your numbers are correct, say $9k to upgrade, taking away the $2.5k in material to do a stringer job and the many man hours required, that's a real cost of $6.5k to upgrade.

I know I would be shopping!

If you can do it, do it. But if you have to sell the 86 first, then I would not plan on getting 7500 for it with it needing stringers.

I would upgrade to a 97+ boat in a heartbeat.... if I could.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 3:48pm
I've had a few of these boats. 1998=best model built/best I've ever owned. 2001 is great for boarding but if you are gonna ski you will not be sorry with the post '97 hull.
plus no wood=no rot ever.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Thread jack..sorry

Hey Alan..have a great trip but be careful when you hit the I71/Rt 303 exit for brunstucky when you head for eric. You'll be distracted by the sound of banjos. Just ignore it and keep moving as fast as possible.

john

We plan to keep the motor running John...I think we'll just make a fly by.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 4:18pm
Probably a real good plan.

Have fun and a safe trip...wish I was gonna be there to see you guys and that new boat.

But I'll still like yours, Gary's Orange one, mine...well all the old ones better!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2008 at 12:44pm
Here you go Tim, people are giving used boats away right now and this ones close to home. 97ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2008 at 1:04pm
Alan, im a little slow, i just caught that you are picking up those heads, when are you coming?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 1:25am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Alan, im a little slow, i just caught that you are picking up those heads, when are you coming?

Eric, Hope to be at your place thursday around noon, I'll bring your number with me and give a call once we get closer.

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:12am
Man, I should buy that boat! Looks sweet.

I think 93 is the first year for fiberglass encapsulated stringers. Am I right?

I am in the same situation of whether to upgrade or spend some money on my old one. We have trailer issues and are looking to have a custom trailer made. If I can get a good deal on a newer boat with a good trailer, I'd have to strongly consider. I looked real hard at that Colorado boat and should have bought it. My problem was trying to sell our boat during this soft market. That is the issue. You can buy them cheap, but you will probably sit on yours for a little while.

Todd
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 9:58am
got it
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:11pm
My vote is for the upgrade. Buy the newest, best boat you can afford. Sell the old one and dont look back. If kids are in the future, then consider a SNOB. My 95 is 13 years old, and most people think it is a new boat. I see it it lasting a long, long time. It has plenty of modern features, to make for comfortable boating. IMO, CC built a lot better boat in the 90's than the 80's. Not knocking the 2001 hull, as I still have one, and love it for what it was.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Typically we ski about 4-5 days a week

Holy Moly! Man, do I wish I could say that. Sounds like you need a boat with an invisible wake. Upgrade.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 2:55am
I'm in the same situation as you with my 79 SN I bought last year. Every time I go out I end up with little pieces of foam in my bilge. My boat has about 1300 hrs. on it now. It runs great and has been pretty reliable. I really hate to get rid of it because of that, but by the time I get done restoring the boat and trailer, I may as well buy newer. I only use my boat about once a week from late May through the end of September. If you ski that much I'd say definately buy newer. I know that I have decided to go that route. I really hate to see mine go, but I can't justify the cost to restore. If anyone's interested mine will be for sale in the spring cheap. I'll probably want around $2800 for it just to see it go quick. It's a great starting point for someone to restore as it's all original even the interior with no rips or dry rot. Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic