NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 13" prop on a Cuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 13" prop on a Cuda
    Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:46pm
I finally got a chance to try the 540 that didn't work on my Tique on a Barracuda hull. The cuda's just like the Tique came with 12" props and for those of you who don't remember the Tique results I'll mention it again. The prop (540 is a 13" dia.) being so close to the hull, vibrated and produced a hull buzz that was so bad that I didn't run it for over about 15 minutes. The rule of thumb is that hull clearance should be about 10% of the prop dia. otherwise you will get cavitation at that area. It can be severe enough to erode the hull. It's called "hull rash" or "prop burn".

I got over to Charlie's boat house just as he had lowered the boat into the water with the 540 on it so I didn't get a chance to see the install. We took it out and the performance was quite impressive for the old 318. Absolutely no hull buzz or vibration. Regretfully his tach isn't working but I'd have to say it would crank up to around 41 or 4200. (his shop tach was out too!) We got the boat back and hauled up to put his old prop back on.

Here's the 540:

Take a look at the length of the prop shaft!! It's past the strut I'd say 3" from where it should be and the reason the 13" ran with a hull clearance of 1&1/4". Plenty of room and it's my opinion it's the reason it ran without the prop to hull cavitation.

We put the old prop back on which is stamped 12" x 16" but I feel that it has been re pitched because no way would the old 318 pull the 16" The hole shot was about twice the time and it would only crank up to about 3800 I'd say.

The old prop back on the Cuda:

The old prop cleared the hull by 1&5/8" Well the end result is he needs to get his tack fixed and or buy a new shop tach to tweak in the WOT with a prop.

BTW Reid, That's not Inca Gold!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 7:52pm
Well howdy then! I thought that was you in the straw hat on the reunion thread.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Well howdy then! I thought that was you in the straw hat on the reunion thread.

Greg, No, I'm the one with the gray/white hair. Jbear and I stand out in the group due to our hair. The first thing John said to me when he made his "surprise" visit on Friday evening was "nice hair"!! At least we still have it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 8:22pm
There's a pic of you looking at a light blue boat unless I'm just off today...

Anyway, nice to sort-of meet you!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 9:11pm
Greg he is easy to spot in any photo,he be the the one that looks smart.
All the rest of us are just trying..........
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

he is easy to spot

Just look for the shirt sleeves and you can find Pete

Hey Pete I've been running the 540 on my 60's Nautique and like it a lot. Actually a smoother ride than the old Michigan wheel I was running.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are you really sure? I can't really see enough to tell what it might be. So what color is it then, since you got my attention? We now know, according to Ken Meloon, that Tim's and Phil's boats are indeed the mysterious IG.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 7:58am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Are you really sure? I can't really see enough to tell what it might be. So what color is it then, since you got my attention? We now know, according to Ken Meloon, that Tim's and Phil's boats are indeed the mysterious IG.

Charlie feels the Cuda is a 69 or 70 so I believe that was after the Inca Gold days. We really don't know!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Charlie feels the Cuda is a 69 or 70 so I believe that was after the Inca Gold days. We really don't know!!

Pete, I cant tell what color that is from those pics- but my Skier is a '71 or '72, so they were still offering IG at that point.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:15pm
Tim,

I checked the brochures about Inca Gold when it came up a few days ago out of curiosity. Inca gold was offered in 71. In 72 CC went to all the bright splashy colors, and, best I can tell, no Inca Gold. If you are uncertain on the year of your boat (title or HIN don't give you that info?) I would guess its a 71 based on the color. Assuming those that are saying its Inca Gold are correct.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:40pm
Good info Larry- you inspired me to give Dave Hendricks a call, which Ive been meaning to do for some time. He told me that the build date was 5/17/71, so its a '71. Thats what I was always told, but I began to doubt it when I saw the white/black plastic emblems (some '71's used the metal ones) and saw a build date of 6/71 for the trailer. That settles that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 1:56pm
Tim and Larry, You're correct that the Inca gold was offered through the 71 year. I did miss that! I've known Charlies Cuda since it came into Watercraft Sales new. It was never as deep a green/gold as your or Phils so it must be ether the Autumn or Fern green.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 1:28pm
I'd love to see more photos of Charlie's Barracuda. Is he in the Diaries?

BTW - great to see all of you at Green Lake
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

I'd love to see more photos of Charlie's Barracuda. Is he in the Diaries?

After a year of Charlies lurking (every morning before work) and my nagging him to register, I finally got him to register (brady). Now I've got to start over on him to post pictures!! I was the one who took the shots in his boathouse!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 6:54pm
This topic got me to thinking about the differences between the early 16'6" Classic and Barracuda hulls ('65 and earlier) vs the longer 17'1" Barracuda hulls.

I do not have the clearance between the strut and prop and rudder as shown on Charlie's boat. I certainly would not be able to put a 13" prop on mine (the 12" has 1" clearance) or a longer shaft.

I wonder if the older Classic/Cuda hulls were lengthened in the back in this area which would allow him to run the 13" prop?
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 9:23pm
13-13 works great on my '70 Barracuda too
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic