Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer - 1998 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
correctski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer - 1998 Nautique
    Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:50am
I need to purchase a trailer for my 98 ski nautique. I have never had a trailer for my nautique and would appreciate any suggestions. I need one with a swing away tongue. Considering a custom painted trailer if the price is right. Also, would probably like a single axel if that would work. I think that would make it easier to maneuver.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
1998 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 2:05am
Where are you located. Makes a difference in terms of what trailers are offered in your geography. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 11:21am
Boat is currently in northeast Indiana. Looking to take it to Florida for the winter.

Thanks
1998 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:20pm
If you are looking for new, Ram-Lins, Prestige and Eagles are pretty common in your area.

Have a twin axle Eagle under our 206, they are much nicer to tow, when loaded it's tough maneuvering the tongue laterally by hand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:29pm
I will be driving it 1000 miles 2x/year between northern indiana and florida. Otherwise just trailering to the local boat ramp. I would like to be able to put it in my garage so I thought a single axle would be easier to maneuver into my 3rd garage bay. Am I asking for trouble if I just get a single axle?
1998 Ski Nautique
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:39pm
Try trailmaster. I got one a couple of years ago. The price and the features were right. It tows like a dream. I got a tandem only because it was only a couple of hundred more dollars. They're made in South Bend.

Rob
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by correctski correctski wrote:

I would like to be able to put it in my garage so I thought a single axle would be easier to maneuver into my 3rd garage bay. Am I asking for trouble if I just get a single axle?

Not at all. The single will handle the load as long as you get the proper rating. It would be my recommendation just because of the easier tight area handling when loaded. Chris is correct however that a double is nice on the road but to me, it's the only advantage. The single will be fine on the road too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 12:29pm
Thanks 8122brainard. Can one person maneuver a single axle fairly easily? I will have to trailer it into my two-car bay at an angle and then push it into the single-car bay.
1998 Ski Nautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 12:43pm
I can maneuver my single axle by myself if I am on level pavement. Sometimes it does take putting your back into it, but you should be able to do it. If you find that you have a hard time with either the single or double, they make a dolly that makes it much easier, especially if you are doing it a lot.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 2:03pm
The only thing I would caution is that when folks go on a long roadtrip, they tend to load the boat up with coolers, bicycles, lawn chairs whatever. It quickly gets heavy. My neighbor used to blow out a tire nearly every vacation on his single axle trailer because he would overload the capacity of the two tires.

The single axle is much easier to maneuver in the garage. As suggested above, some folks use dollys to slide the trailer sidesways in a tight garage space. I've moved mine sideways with floor jacks a couple of times. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 3:24pm
The tongue dolly is real handy. It is possible to roll the trailer on the wheeled tongue jack but with a small wheel that never wants to go in the direction you want it to, it's sometimes hard. I made my dolly but I had the time and material to do it.

Brian makes a very good point regarding loading the trailer. The trailer is a BOAT trailer and not for everything you can't fit in the tow vehicle!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 12:21am
Thanks for all the responses, this is very helpful. By the way, what can I expect to pay for a single axle custom painted trailer?
1998 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic