Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical problems. HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problems. HELP!
    Posted: May-19-2008 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Did you ever go after the problem with the volt meter

Yes. I tried and it did help with showing what was working and what was not working. The problem is that some voltage was able to get through the corrosion and I always showed enough voltage to the starter. Same with resistance. Everything seemed right. It was more of a current problem. I never had enough to actually crank the Ford starter. The way it would seem to reset itself was really throwing me too. I'm guessing there was enough voltage leaking through the corrosion to light the dash after battery reconnects. Not really sure.
The new wire is some high current 2 ga. that I use for car stereo installs. The individual strands are finer and more plentiful. We'll see how that works out. Liquid Tape comes in both black and red so it makes it very easy to mark positive and negative as well as seal the ends.

Thanks for the comments about the boat too. I love that boat. I just wish I could afford to take it out more than once or twice a week.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 1:15pm
Bob, Yes, very nice reverse gel. I've always liked them

Did you ever go after the problem with the volt meter or just go directly to the cables? Using a volt/ohm meter is a great way of finding problems and the basics are something everyone should know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 12:51pm
Wow I didnt notice you were workin on a reverse gel. Id venture to say thats the nicest looking 89 ive ever seen.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 12:42pm
UPDATE - I went to cut off a few inches from the main positive and ground wires going back to the motor from the battery and discovered some corrosion alright. Cutting would have made the wires too short so I replaced them with all new high current 2 gauge. I also replaced the connectors on both sides of both wires and sealed them with liquid tape. Hopefully that will keep this from happening again. Anyway, once the battery was back in, I turned the key and it fired up so fast that I never even noticed the started cranking over. Pretty good for not having run since last fall. Problem solved. Thanks for all the advice.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 5:44pm
Listen to these guys. Every time ever Ive had a dirty terminal it clicks then you have to take it off and reconnect it. I always disconnect my battery when my boat is out of the water just to be safe then I twist it back on tight and if its not tight enough/dirty it clicks till you get it on right. Go buy yourself a good terminal cleaner at your local parts store.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 4:47am
Yes, as you've already received it sounds like corroded cables and/or terminals. You'd see the same symptoms with good cables if you hooked it up reverse.

EDIT: Your video is impressive! Impressively stupid.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:00am
Thanks everybody. I'll try all that tomorrow and let you know.
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 11:56pm
Connect your meter across the battery cable connectors and not on the battery posts, turn the key and try to start and see what the voltage drop is. It shoudn't drop more than a volt or 2. It sounds like a hi-resistant connection possibly caused by corroded cable connections.
If you see light at the end of the tunnel you might be looking the wrong way

69 Mustang
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 11:18pm
my first thought also, bad cable or bad ground, rule of thumb: 98% of ALL electrical problems are connections!!!!
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 10:48pm
99% sure it is your battery cable. Corrosion.

Take a close look at your battery cable, you may need to cut 1-2" off and put a new connector on the end.

Been there, done that.

Tim

BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You don't need to answer the above. I just did a search from your profile and came across your post on "high speed double teak surfing" . I forgot you were the one who did that. Now I understand you have been breathing exhaust fumes and have had your head bashed around a few times.

I don't mean to hijack my own thread.... I just had to post a link to our brain dead video one more time. High speed double teak surfing
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 9:47pm
It sounds to me like you have bad battery cables/terminals. If the radio was shorting out, it would A:blow a fuse, B:open a breaker, C:SMOKE.
When you try to operate your starter, the current is causing your poor battery connection to come open, causing your lights not to work. Clean or replace your battery & ground cables.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 9:25pm
It's ok. the neutral safety switch is jumpered right now just to rule it out as being a culprit.   Yes, I do have a meter and have been testing it. The reason why I think the battery is bad is that I'm showing a back swing on the meter with every tick of the clock. I'm charging the battery again right now with the radio disconnected. I'll check in a little while if I'm making progress. I'm pretty sure the radio is toast and was drawing too much current somehow. Not sure yet though. Any idea why everything would come back after disconnecting the battery for a couple seconds?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 9:14pm
Bob, Hopefully you have a volt meter. (not just a test light) If the battery is ok and the starter is good, you are loosing volts someplace. Battery connections? Ground to engine? Check for a voltage drop across the starter solenoid while someone is turning the key. Keep tracing it to make sure you are getting the volts to the starter.

Just wondering why the neutral safety switch is bypassed? Don't you have any regard for your safety as well as the safety of others.

Edit: You don't need to answer the above. I just did a search from your profile and came across your post on "high speed double teak surfing" . I forgot you were the one who did that. Now I understand you have been breathing exhaust fumes and have had your head bashed around a few times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 8:36pm
The neutral safety switch is bypassed. I'm pretty sure the louder click is the starter solenoid pulling in. However, there was also a fairly quiet click from under the dash.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 8:31pm
Check the neutral safety switch on the tranny. The click you heard may have been the ignition relay.
Tim D
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 8:15pm
On my 89 2001, starter would not turn over. I charged the battery and tried again. It clicked, then nothing. The gauges wouldn't even light up. I took the battery to Wal-Mart. They said the battery was ok and just needed a charge.    I bought a new chager thinking mine was bad. Charged battery. Gauges now lit up. When I went to crank it over, click, everything goes dead. Pulled started thinking it had a dead short. Starter mechanic said it's good and that Ford starters need a lot of current. Along the way, I discovered that after the dreaded click and nothing, no matter how charged the battery was, the gauges would not light until I disconnected the battery and re-connected. Is that weird? Completely isolated radio and tried again with jumper cables from my car. Everything lit up and starter tried to crank. Not enough juice with just the car battery and jumper cables. I'm now pretty sure that the battery Wal-Mart said is ok is actually not ok. I'm also pretty sure that my radio is shorted out. What has me baffled is the way I have to disconnect all the power from the boat and re-connect after a couple seconds in order to get the gauges to light and try to start. Is there a breaker that resets itself upon disconnecting the battery?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic