Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new prop and trailor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new prop and trailor
    Posted: May-04-2008 at 9:34pm
replaced my old prop today with a new Acme 540. Thanks to the threads i read it went easy. I put the new prop on without the key, used a felt pen and then fit it on with the key and it fit back perfectly.

Now the prop guard on the trailor prevents the prop from making a complete revolution. I am not worried about getting the boat off of the trailor, but am scared when I put it on it would strike the guard.

Is my best bet to take a grinder and remove 1/4 inch off of the guard???

I can post pictures....i hope if anyone needs them. My trailor is the original CC trailor.

thanks!!!!!!!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 9:45pm
If you are that close I would not try to remove from the guard. The simplest way for me would be to raise the boat, a 1x4 would raise you 3/4 in.
Those are just my thoughts tho.....Boat dr
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 9:56pm
what is the easiest way to raise the boat....Dr.?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 10:37pm
Shawn, Is your prop guard bolted on. On some of the trailer sizes, they were a option. If it is bolted, cut some galvanized pipe to use as spacers with longer bolts at the rear where it is bolted on under the bunk. You cold also just remove it. I have one trailer with and one without.

Ok, How's the 540???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 10:47pm
pete,
it is welded on.

Sadly, I didn't even get it off of the trailer today. I was to afraid that i would bend the prop trying to retrailer. Oh well. I instead have moved on to the next project. Removed my front seat and am putting the new skin on the bottom. My man goal today was just to make sure the new circ water pump we put on wasn't leaking.

We took my brothers SANTE 220 for a ride instead. What a boat!

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:22am
Boatdr was refering to raising the part wrapped in carpet that the boat is sitting on. Put another layer of wood on top of it.
Tim D
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:20am
hey maybe this isn't right pls correct me if i'm wrong but if the trailer is under water when retrailering or leaving the trailer isn't the boat floating?? so the prop will not hit eiter re trailering or leaving right like the boat never touches the rear portion of the trailer until pulling it out of the water?? ours is also that low altough ours is a stock prop and as far as i know we never hit it in the trailer. But hey correct me if i'm wrong
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:29am
Looking at that picture, if the blade is down it would hit when you pull out of the water.
Greg

86 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 7:34am
Shawn, Well, the welded on blows my idea!! You didn't mention how the prop worked so I assume you haven't had it in the water yet. What prop was on the boat? What is the black stuff on the shaft at the forward edge of the prop hub?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:42am
Shawn

Do whatever it takes to get some room between that prop and the guard. The bounce in the trailer is enough to cause damage to the prop. I like Doc's idea, considering your guard is welded on.
Between your guard and mine, we would have the perfect clearance. I fabricated mine, but it is a little too far from the prop (3.5"), which gives me little road clearance.
Prop Guard

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:29am
pete,
the black stuff is the mark of the sharpie felt pen i used when I put the prop on without the key. My hand slipped and ran up the shaft. And no I didn't even get it off of the trailer yesterday. I can't wait to try it though

the original prop was a 13x13 federal.

k.o. I thought the same thing to but I always have hit the throttle slightly when the truck pulls me out to keep the bow close to the bow guides and I was afraid that is when it would hit. Then I use the patented bump technique to get it up clos
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 8:34pm

examined it better today and the middle part was welded on, the sides were bolted with 1/2 bolts. We took of the two older bolts on the side and replaced with 2 1/2 inch longer bolts, put 1/4 spacers on both and it is perfect now.

Ready to now try the prop out!
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 2:40am
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

...the sides were bolted with 1/2 bolts. We took of the two older bolts on the side and replaced with 2 1/2 inch longer bolts, put 1/4 spacers on both and it is perfect now.

Darn it, Pete was right AGAIN...it's getting kind of old!!!

Just kidding...I knew who'd be right in the end!
-Adam

1973 Skier
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 12:28pm
Looks like your boat might be too far FWD on the trailer. I have a 470 on my 2001 and it does not hit.

Tim

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 1:04pm
tim,
could be. i am not sure it is the stock trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic