NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The magic number

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The magic number
    Posted: May-02-2008 at 3:51pm
I thought since we were discussing speeds in the "50ish" thread that I'd talk a little about it and open it up to discussion .

In the 60's hulls and with the advent of the light weight V8's the magic number seemed to be 40. Some of the Century's with the big blocks as well as the Cuda's with the H/M's would do slighly over the 45 mark. Then with our 70's narrower hulls that magic number hit the 50 mark. With more thought and engineering with the wake of the boat in mind, the 80's hulls seemed to go back down to the 45 mark. That 45 mark with a few exceptions has seemed to hold to this day.

Comments?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 5:16pm
Pete
I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that, "back in the day", insurance rates increased on boats that were spec'd to run over 45mph, and manufactureres aimed for the 44 mark. I know in the 80's, almost any inboard I had the pleasure to ride in, topped out at about 43-44. Has anyone heard of this? My insurance guy did ask how fast my BFN ran when I insured it.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 6:19pm
I think when CC came out with the 2001 in 82 speeds did go down because the boat got bigger and the HP stayed the same, you are right Pete, 81s and older do tend to be a bit faster and with a few mods, alot faster!

So I guess Size does matter!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Pete
I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that, "back in the day", insurance rates increased on boats that were spec'd to run over 45mph, and manufactureres aimed for the 44 mark. I know in the 80's, almost any inboard I had the pleasure to ride in, topped out at about 43-44. Has anyone heard of this? My insurance guy did ask how fast my BFN ran when I insured it.
Steve

Steve, The speed is a new one on me but I have been asked about the HP's of my boats by the insurance companies. Century sure didn't go by that theory - they were grabbing the biggest engines they could find!!

The speed I feel really revolves around the laws of physics of any given hull design and the HP needed to push it. Boats just like cars went through a "muscle" era. The problem with gaining large HP's back then, is it really cut down the reliability of the engines. The marine engine is under load all the time and needs to have the torque available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 8:19pm
Personally....

I don't care about speed. As long as it holds 42-44 barefooting and can pull a load off the dock, I am happy.

If I want a fast boat I'll buy an outboard.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Personally....

I don't care about speed. As long as it holds 42-44 barefooting and can pull a load off the dock, I am happy.

...but if you want to pull a load of barefooters off the dock and still hold 42-44, you'll need some extra power. Topping out over 50 when unloaded would just be a nice side benefit.

Im sure fast boats are fun, but if its not a CC, who cares?
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 12:48am
Bingo! You guys are singing my tune. I am a "hasbeen" of comp. skiing. Boat speed 36mph... 35 for jumping...For showin' off 42mph for footin'.
Personally, I love the sound she makes purrin' at 29mph.
I can appreciate those seeking C.C.'s that can skin it back, I just don't need it for my personal uses.
      bj
P.S. I'm going to the lake tomorrow.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 12:53am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 12:55am
Anyone recognize the boat?
hasbeenskier
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 1:43am
BJ...Is that the boat you sold?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 2:02am
It is that slow boat that 79 sold........LOL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 3:13am
Slow and too cool doc.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 3:15am
Hey Madd Man. It is...Oh well
hasbeenskier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 12:05pm
I think speeds went down in the '80's because they made design changes that significantly improved the slalom wakes, but also resulted in the bow riding lower which kills speed.

Seems like 50 is the upper limit for an inboard, except for a few people here that have put a lot of effort into getting a little more.

What's the fastest CC hull? I remember hearing the 60's plywood CCs and mahogany Centurys would hit 50 back in the day, but that was before GPS.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 2:27pm
Pete,

The modern CC's are definitely getting over the 45 mark, our 206 with the 330hp Excal will show 46-48 on the Perfect Pass display, keeping in mind mine is heavier than most with tower, tanks, etc. a bone stock 206 should be faster. The latest Excal is now rated at 343hp. With a ZR6 @ 390hp or the new 6 liter @ 409hp 50mph should be no problem!

Here I am talking about a 206, I would imagine a 196 should be even faster then that.

PS, don't tell Tim, he thinks my boat will only do 39!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

PS, don't tell Tim, he thinks my boat will only do 39!

CQ, you better go put a gps on that thing before you brag about the top end! 49+ on the PP (calibrated at skiing speeds) is only 45-46 gps on my dad's 196. Id be surprised if youre getting more than 44mph.

With the 390hp ZR6 and hydrogate up, Waterski saw the 196 do 51. The modern Malibus seem to do OK top speed wise, but the current MC's are slugs- it takes a lot of power to get them out of the low 40's it seems.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 11:17am
I asked the MC dealer at the Boston boat show why MCs seem to be such dogs compared to CCs and Malibus in both acceleration and top speed. He said they are designed to be slower, but they have a better pull and far better wakes.

I think the 196 was just about the fastest boat in the WSMBBG this past year, second only to maybe Gekko.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

He said they are designed to be slower, but they have a better pull and far better wakes.

Now Bruce, Did you expect the MC salesman to be truthful??? Designed that way!!
In all honesty, I fell that top speed on a hull is compromised when it is designed for the wake in mind. We see it in all makes. They really are ski or board boats. Notice I didn't include the "T" word!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 7:03pm
Ha far better wakes? The nautique wakes are much smaller and alot softer than any of the new MC's Ive skied behind and the malibus have the biggest wake of all. You pretty much jump the Malibu wake at skiing speeds.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 9:37pm
Top speed and getting it faster always seems to come up at least once a year. We all have nice tug boats here if you really think about it, fixed drive shaft and a rudder, designed to pull. When you take all the factors, hull length, weight, etc. with a fixed drive shaft, it's only going to go but so fast. There's a 66 Mustang at White Lake with a built 351 in it, the hull length limits the top end because it starts to porpoise.
Tim D
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 2:41am
Pete, It amazes me the stuff salesmen can come up with. I had a truck salesman tell me one time that they didn't discount the price of a new truck much so they could give me a better trade in later on.

The new CC 196s and Malibu ski boats are fast (50 mph), but they have upwards of 400 hp. They ought to go 50.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic