NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disaster Strikes

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:37pm
Thanks for the advice on the carb, Chris.

I still feel that a 25% margin of error on an estimate is pretty large.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:05pm
Hey Adam,

I'm happy to hear that you're on the road to getting your boat fixed. When I had my accident, I was without my boat for a good month. My hull scratches were repaired and buffed up, two fins replaced, new shaft, new prop and engine re-aligned. You would never know anything ever happened to it. These boats can take a lickn'.

Keep us posted on the progress of your repairs. Can you go boating with anyone else in the meantime?

Ken
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:55pm
Ken-
Thanks. The repairs are done now. I picked it up from SECC on Sat. Like I stated in my previous post, the mechanical work all seems to be very good as well as the gel repair. It has been just about 6 weeks from the accident and i am just glad to have the boat back.
Boats:
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:11pm
Sorry, I'm playing some catch up here with your post. I'm glad to hear you got your boat back. I remember launching mine for the first time since my mishap. I was a little nervous, but it made me more aware of my surroundings. Enjoy!

Ken
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:22pm
79, or anyone else that knows-
As far as my secondaries not opening, with the boat off, I put the throtle all the way down was looking in the carb. The primaries were open, and of course the secondaries were closed because the boat was off. I tried to manually open the secondaries, but i could not. I even tried pushing down on the side of the butterfly that should move down. They must be sealed shut by some gunk or something. I would like to try to get through the rest of the summer before I have to pull the carb off. I know it should be an easy job, but nothing ever seems to go smooth on this boat. I was wondering if it would hurt anything to give the secondaries a small shot of carb cleaner to break them free? I know carb cleaner is not good for gaskets, but would a small amount be too bad?

Just a thought.

Adam
Boats:
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:53pm
carb cleaner won't hurt anything other than paint, gaskets are not effected.

your not going to be able to open them up without a vacuum pump on the diaphram when your setting with it off you really need to be under way with the hatch up and arrestor off to watch them and see if they are opening, if they are not then you need to replace the diaphram for the secondaries, might check the rubber hose going to it as well if it has one forget exactly how it's plumbed.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 4:28pm
Alright, I will check it this weekend while I am out. I thought I would be able to notice if the secondaries were not opening. I would expect it to be slugish. Then again, maybe they have not been opening since I bought the boat last spring, and I don't know any different.

Thanks again for the info.
Boats:
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 5:06pm
Adam,

The secondaries won't actually open until you get close to or at WOT and then only underway as Chris stated. Revving it in your driveway will never get them to open.

I would have to agree that if the secondaries aren't working, the vacuum diaphram should be looked at and possibly replaced. I seem to remember something about a small ball bearing in the vacuum port that needs to be there too when you remove the diaphram cover plate so be careful with that. Don't loose it. Just so you know, the diaphram can be a little tricky to get back in properly without tearing it when you put the cover screws back in place. Somewhat common issue for those a little bit inexperienced in the reassembly process. Certainly not difficult, but something to pay attention to.

If you have a vacuum pump you can check the the diaphram to see if it's working. Then the secondary throttle plate can be operated to at least verify if they're froze or not. I highly doubt that they're froze. If anything, the vacuum port or diaphram is boogered up causing the issue. Man, it's been too long since I took one of these things apart!!! Someone more knowledgable could certainly correct me on this stuff.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:56pm
Thanks Eddie. Just to clarify, I was not revving in the driveway. The engine was not even on. My thought process was that if I open the throttle all the way (engine off), it would move the linkage to even allow the secondaries to open. Then, since I have no vacuum, engine off, I could use a screw driver to push open the butterflies.

That is what I tried and it did not work. I guess that diaphragm is pretty tough to move without the vacuum. Oh well, hopefully we do not get rained out all weekend like they are predicting ( It will probably be nice and sunny all weekend, they are never right!) I will test it under load in the water.

After missing a big part of the season already with all the problems, I am just trying to hold off on the rebuild until the winter.

Adam
Boats:
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 5:19am
Well guys,

Disaster struck here in Belgium yesterday at 10.46 AM too...
While pulling a skier on our lake, making a turn at some 200 yards from the shoreline... BANG!
I hit an unmarked pile of rubble in the water! Result: busted prop, bent shaft...
On the lucky side: no hull damage nor bent strut and rudder still fine... (I checked closely to see if there were any cracks to be found at the strut and rudder)
All damages and repairs are covered by the insurance, so that's a good thing too.
So, today, I will bring her to the CC dealer here in Belgium and will have to wait till all paperwork, expertise and fixing is done...
Will ask CC dealer to check everything closely and put her back to glory (also have him check tranny, engine, alignment,...).

The thing is... timing couldn't be worse! Weather is gonna be super for the next couple of weeks and on top of that, our club is preparing for our annual ski show

As I was telling my story to fellow boaters here in the harbor, I was surpised to hear a few others had had the same thing in that area. With some 15 fellow boat owners we went to the harbor master yesterday evening, to ask him to take action (one could notice that these guys were fed up with the lack of action on the part of the responsible instances). So, tuesday and wednesday, the harbor master and a few boaters equipped with dept finders will put temporary buoys on the lake in order to prevent these things to happen again...
The harbor master will also send a request to the governmental instances responsible for the lake, to schedule dredging of the shallow areas.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:36am
Man, Kristof, I am sorry to hear that. No one was hurt?

I am sure your CC dealer will do it, but make sure they really check around the strut, rudder and tracking fins for hair line cracks. I did not even notice the ones on mine until they pointed them out. Luckey for me, the guy that SECC sends their boats to, for fiberglass and gel, worked at the CC factory for like 25 years!

Glad to hear you guys are doing something about the culprit and getting the rocks marked.
Boats:
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

No one was hurt?

We are very fortunate no one got hurt! But, as we slowed down and stopped, the skier went down in the water and right on the spot were the boat took the hit, he was standing on his skis in like one and a half foot of water...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 5:31pm
Just wanted to put the finishing touches on this.
After a long wait for Brian to get back from his honeymoon, and several calls between Progressive and SECC, we have come to a compramise. Just got off the phone with Woody/Brian and he told me that they did overcharge me on a few things that they would refund and we found something that the insurance co. should have paid for and they are. So, now I think we have a fair deal. All parties are happy (well, maybe not Progressive. They had to pay about $6,000 for everything).

I reiterated to Woody, that the work they did was top notch and after all this, still worth it to bring the boat to them. I would go back in a heartbeat. I just hope Brian does not go on a 3 week wedding/honeymoon next time I do!
Boats:
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 5:36pm
Glad all is fixed! I just got a premium from progressive, and noticed they reduced my cost 25% and said something about it going down 25% a year for another year or two if I dont have a claim. Then after that I get some reduction in deductible or something like that. In any case, I dont think you will be getting that letter next year!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 7:09am
Glad to hear everthing turned out fine for you Adam.
Good to know you have SECC to go to, and that they did good work on your boat. Enjoy the summer!

My boat is back on the water too, and our CC dealer here also did a top job on it. Insurance paid all damages and they were very helpful.
The dealer put an ACME 668 four blade on the boat for the time I have to wait till my ACME 1442 will be delivered, free of charge. If all goes well, I'll have my 1442 on the boat in about three weeks from now...

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 3:07pm
QUOTE "He had six hours of labor charged for the insurance repair. I asked him to bump that to nine hours to cover the cost of the extra items that I was having them do for me out of my pocket. I knew I could get the ins. co. to pick up a little more."

I would ask to have this deleted. I believe this is what you call insurance fraud and I doubt Woody would want this to be publicized.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 10:43am
I see what you are saying gun-driver, but as it turns out, it did not work out like that anyway. It turned out that it was a lagit 9 hours of work. SECC forgot to add the rudder repair on to the first estimate, so that bumped the hours up. Trust me, I did not get any advantages.
Boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic